Windows 10: Windows 10 Retail install issue

Discus and support Windows 10 Retail install issue in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Here is some backstory on my issue: I had an old computer. Several years ago I took it in for some work to a store and they put on a retail copy of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by phantom501st, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Retail install issue

Here is some backstory on my issue:

I had an old computer. Several years ago I took it in for some work to a store and they put on a retail copy of windows 8. When Windows 10 came out I updated. So now I have a Retail windows 10 product key. As far as I've read I can then switch it to another computer.

What's happened now:

I built a new computer, I uninstalled the product key from the old computer and wiped the drive. I installed windows 10 with that product key, but it froze at some point during installation and so I rebooted it and tried again. This time it worked but my main issue is it is saying it isn't activating.

My question:

Is it possible that it fully activates during the spot where you put in your key and before it actually boot after the process is complete?

I ask this because if you troubleshoot from the settings and then select "I recently changed hardware" it lists two computers that are tied to my account and I only have a laptop which I can account for on the list. The other just has a generic desktop name like after a fresh install. I confirmed that it is not the current install that works now.

Extra:

I called customer support and tried to get help but was told that it was indeed a retail copy (so should be able to be moved), BUT that it had exceeded the activation limit. looking that up online it says that it shouldn't matter with the Retail copy, just the OEM version. Is there some retail copy where you can't move the key? like retail but a retail for shops and not one you get at the store yourself.

Besides this I asked the CS person if the old activation could be removed. They said no and repeated about my limit to activations.

If anyone could shed some light into the matter on what I can do it would be greatly appreciated. Windows is expensive and I would rather not pay for another product key if I don't have to.

:)

phantom501st, Jul 11, 2019

2. New install Windows 10 (issue solved)

It's good that you're not experiencing any issues. Unfortunately many folks are, a quick Google search will show the same info im offering the OP.

Heres a couple examples:

Here

Here

It's basically what I mentioned above, small issues here and there ,but nothing to end your day.. for the most part.

I know it's anecdotal, but for my experience 95% of the time it's perfectly fine. The issues I've run into wouldn't be enough for me to roll back , but they would be enough (had I not installed it yet) ,to avoid it for another couple weeks which is why I'm suggesting it to the OP

Windows 10 Fall Creators Update problems and complaints
    • Installation problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Microsoft Edge problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Drivers problems with the Fall Creators Update
    • Experience problems with the Fall Creators Update
    keep in mind, as of recently, the FCU is installed on 5% of devices roughly.....

jboydgolfer, Jul 11, 2019
  3. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 11, 2019
  4. Cvrk Win User

Windows 10 Retail install issue

Installing Windows 10 on Lumia 920

These are the official EASy steps on how to do it. http://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-windows-10-preview-windows-phone

There very simple and i've already tried them. The problem that i face is that the software (this app) does not find any updates for me .
    Many people across the world have this issues .So you need the proxy etc thing to get it to work.

Thema:

Windows 10 Retail install issue

1. Windows 10 Retail install issue - Similar Threads - Retail install issue

2. Windows 10 Retail Box License Issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Retail Box License Issue: We have a issue about microsoft windows 10 pro licensing. We bought "11" Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Retail License for each computer of our customer from wholesaler. The 6 of 11 License is correct but 5 of them is when we enter the keys and press activate windows activation is...
  3. Windows 10 Retail Box License Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Retail Box License Issue: We have a issue about microsoft windows 10 pro licensing. We bought "11" Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Retail License for each computer of our customer from wholesaler. The 6 of 11 License is correct but 5 of them is when we enter the keys and press activate windows activation is...
  4. Windows 10 Retail Box License Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 Retail

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Retail: Hello The version of Windows 10 Home in the Microsoft Store, which version is it Windows 10 Retail or OEM ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-retail/13f983cd-89e4-40ef-b946-7fb520cf578b
  6. Windows 10 Retail

Windows 10 Retail: Hello The version of Windows 10 Home in the Microsoft Store, which version is it Windows 10 Retail or OEM ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-retail/13f983cd-89e4-40ef-b946-7fb520cf578b
  7. Windows 10 Retail

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  8. Windows 10 retail ?

Windows 10 retail ?: Hello... I'm curious to know what is listed under activation for this version ( windows 10 retail ) not OEM or upgraded to 10 but rather a fresh clean install with a windows 10 retail iso file or usb . Also, is it true those usb stick which Microsoft is selling windows 10 is...
  9. Windows 10 retail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 retail: Going to get a copy of windows 10 retail USB. Can I get it on DVD ? I downloaded a copy of Windows 10 to do a clean install after upgrade Can I use that DVD to install a retail Copy ? 14622
  10. windows 10 retail.

in Windows 10 Support
    windows 10 retail.: Does anybody know if the retail version of windows 10, will include the anniversary update. Henry 54434