Windows 10: Windows 10 Retail Key Activation - Motherboard RMA

Discus and support Windows 10 Retail Key Activation - Motherboard RMA in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I recently build a new Windows 10 PC and unfortunately I experienced some issues with RAM. Long story short it seems that the motherboard on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mike_L1011, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Retail Key Activation - Motherboard RMA

Hello,

I recently build a new Windows 10 PC and unfortunately I experienced some issues with RAM. Long story short it seems that the motherboard on which my PC was built has a defective RAM slot and the manufacturer advised me that likely an replacement is in order RMA.

I have a Windows 10 Pro Retail Licence and product key, so I know that it can be moved from one motherboard to the other without any issues since that license is transferable. However I am unfamiliar with this process. Right now my user account is not linked to my Microsoft Account, I don't know if for this to work that what is required Microsoft Account Link or if I can simply attempt to deactivate Windows by calling Microsoft and then re-activating Windows when I install it on my new computer board.

Can anyone provide me with proper guidance?

Thank You!

- Mike

:)

Mike_L1011, Aug 26, 2020

2. Win10 Pro activation post-RMA of motherboard & SSD

I bought a Win10Pro key, motherboard, SSD.

Installed and activated.

Had to RMA the motherboard, wiped the new SSD and am using it for storage on different device.

Got motherboard back and installed. Still have Win10Pro product key, but I'm using the original (not newly bought) SSD (new one is wiped anyway).

Receiving code 0xc004f050.

Troubleshooter sends me here.

Key should be active on my account (I'm told) but I don't know how to get Pro on this device.

Lead Balloon, Aug 26, 2020
  3. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Aug 26, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows 10 Retail Key Activation - Motherboard RMA

activate windows 7 oem key

There is no difference between the OEM disc and the Retail disc with Windows 7. A retail disc will accept a OEM or Retail key, and vise versa.

If the OEM Key wasn't going to work with the disc you have, it would have stopped you during the install when it first asked you for the key, not during activation.

What is likely the problem is that, since the OEM version has already been activated once, it is failing activation again. Activate it over the phone using the option given to you on the failed activation screen, and you shouldn't have a problem activating it.

newtekie1, Aug 26, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Retail Key Activation - Motherboard RMA

1. Windows 10 Retail Key Activation - Motherboard RMA - Similar Threads - Retail Key Activation

2. Problem with activated Windows 11 after RMA motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with activated Windows 11 after RMA motherboard.: Dear all,Last week I build a new pc, installed W11 and activated it.However I kept having issues with some piece of hardware, which ended up being the motherboard. So I replaced my motherboard and Windows notifies me that my Windows is no longer activated. Upon trying to...
  3. Problem with activated Windows 11 after RMA motherboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with activated Windows 11 after RMA motherboard.: Dear all,Last week I build a new pc, installed W11 and activated it.However I kept having issues with some piece of hardware, which ended up being the motherboard. So I replaced my motherboard and Windows notifies me that my Windows is no longer activated. Upon trying to...
  4. Windows 10 pro retail won't activate after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 pro retail won't activate after motherboard change: Hi,I bought a Windows 10 pro retail digital copy and it won't activate after changing to a new motherboard. The retailer has since gone out of business. I phoned MS and they said that my product key whilst not counterfeit had expired or had limited activations. This is not...
  5. Windows 10 pro retail won't activate after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 pro retail won't activate after motherboard change: Hi,I bought a Windows 10 pro retail digital copy and it won't activate after changing to a new motherboard. The retailer has since gone out of business. I phoned MS and they said that my product key whilst not counterfeit had expired or had limited activations. This is not...
  6. Windows 10 Activation - Cannot Find Retail Key

Windows 10 Activation - Cannot Find Retail Key: I recently had to change motherboards as my old one had died. As expected it is now asking for my windows 10 product key. I purchased a retail key from the Microsoft Store back in August of 2019 but none of my order info is leading me to a 25-digit key neither confirmation...
  7. Activated retail windows 10 on new motherboard/cpu successfully, motherboard dies, can't...

Activated retail windows 10 on new motherboard/cpu successfully, motherboard dies, can't...: So last month I upgraded my cpu and motherboard. I transferred my retail windows 10 over to the new system using the usb tool. It worked great and I was able to activate windows. Two weeks later my motherboard dies and I order a new one. I swap the motherboardsI do not...
  8. Can not activate retailer keys

Can not activate retailer keys: Hello, I recently bought a pc and have tried to activate my Windows 10 pro key that came with it but when i try it says its not valid but i dont think its true is there a special way to activate retailer keys?...
  9. Win10 Pro activation post-RMA of motherboard & SSD

Win10 Pro activation post-RMA of motherboard & SSD: I bought a Win10Pro key, motherboard, SSD. Installed and activated. Had to RMA the motherboard, wiped the new SSD and am using it for storage on different device. Got motherboard back and installed. Still have Win10Pro product key, but I'm using the original not newly...
  10. windows 10 activation with a retail key

windows 10 activation with a retail key: hello so my problem is simple i have a windows 10 professional retail key not affiliated with my Microsoft account about 5 month ago i bought a new hard drive and installed a new copy of windows on it (yes the version is pro) and when i entered the key it said that it wasn't...