Windows 10: Windows 10 retail ?

Discus and support Windows 10 retail ? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, Even if the version wasn't the latest version it soon will be after the install You might get them to define what retail means Retail used... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sn00ker, Dec 17, 2017.

1. sn00ker Win User

Windows 10 retail ?

Retail hasn't changed, it why its still the most expensive version and you're right you can transfer over as many time possible, just as long its on only one PC

sn00ker, Dec 17, 2017
  2. Bree New Member

That makes sense. 1709 only came out in October. Note that the genuine Microsoft USB in those boxes is read-only. You can't re-use or update it.

3. sn00ker Win User
    I know in my city those boxes do have a usb flash drive, though the version and build that I don't know . And, they're retail versions which can be re used as often as one likes. Again, just as long installation is only on one PC at a time .... Though I'm still curious to know if anyone has installed a retail windows 10 pro version what is shown under activation

sn00ker, Dec 17, 2017
  4. Windows 10 retail ?

Hi,
    I got one "retail" at Newegg but I'm not using it at the moment
    Post in a little while what do you want to know exactly ?

I just downloaded the iso and burned it to a dvd :/

ThrashZone, Dec 17, 2017
  5. Superfly Win User
    The installation media is generic - the product key determines the EULA type.

Superfly, Dec 17, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    No, I mean the USB itself cannot be reformatted, written to or reused for any other purpose - Microsoft have made it permanently read-only as a security precaution.

7. Hi,
    Has anyone tried to take ownership of the device
    I personally didn't get one I knew where to get a current iso all I needed was the activation key.

I was wrong I didn't buy at Newegg
    I bought from Amazon
    The 10 pro was 20.us cheaper and still says retail
    Even a 10 pro upgrade shows retail bought from MS store a long time ago now
    It's still on 1703 or creators update.
    No actual activation key with that one though it was in place and tied to my MS account = I actually hate that part.

ThrashZone, Dec 17, 2017
  8. sn00ker Win User

Windows 10 retail ?

yes, the usb drive is encrypted . it really doesn't serve any purpose since all is really need is the license key

sn00ker, Dec 17, 2017
  9. sn00ker Win User
    True, but I'm still curious to know what is shown under Activation with the retail versions . All my PCs say Windows is activated with a digital license

sn00ker, Dec 17, 2017
  10. MrHudson Win User
    If you read on the MCT, it clearly says the download will be a earlier version. Once you install it, it installs 16299.15..

MrHudson, Dec 19, 2017
  11. MrHudson Win User
    Bree, A USB can be reformatted, any data on it will be deleted.
    If you have a USB with data on it, right click on USB, in list you will see Format.

MrHudson, Dec 19, 2017
  12. sn00ker Win User
    Actually not the ones which Microsoft are selling windows on it, those flash drives are encrypted. Its funny MS don't actually updated them to the latest windows 10 version. And they can't tell which builds/ versions is on them, all they can tell you which year the flash drives were created

sn00ker, Dec 19, 2017
  13. Windows 10 retail ?

A normal thumb drive yes. These Microsoft branded Windows 10 thumb drives are hardware locked as read only. That's so they can't get corrupted or infected with malware etc. Downside is, they will very shortly become outdated when a new build gets released. Still usable, but you'll need to update/upgrade to the new build after your clean install

@sn00ker When Windows 10 first came out, if I used one of my MSDN Retail keys, it would show as "activated with a product code". Now those same keys get a Digital License. Started with the AU I think? I do believe the only installs that don't get a Digital License are corporate Volume License installs. Even my MSDN Enterprise MAK keys get a Digital License.

alphanumeric, Dec 20, 2017
  14. sn00ker Win User
    Thanks... And the point I was trying to get to before I got a warning about those flash drive is like what you mention, after a new version comes out those drives are pretty much useless unless one wants to install an older version but why would anyone do such when it just make sense to always get the latest from MS site

sn00ker, Dec 21, 2017
  15. The same deal would happen if they put a DVD in the box instead of a thumb drive. They just choose to use thumb drives, less chance of damaging them. Easier to carry in your pocket etc. It's just hard to wrap your head around not being able to update them like a normal thumb drive. Or reuse them for something else. If I had one, it wouldn't be long before I cracked it open to have a look inside to see if the read only was defeatable. *Wink

alphanumeric, Dec 21, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 retail ?

1. Windows 10 retail ? - Similar Threads - retail

2. Microsoft selling oem or Retail keys on their website

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft selling oem or Retail keys on their website: I have seen some people saying that on the Microsoft website they sell retail keys for windows 11 and i just wanted to check if this was the case. also if i replaced my motherboard would a retail key still be usable on the new motherboard?...
  3. Microsoft selling oem or Retail keys on their website

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft selling oem or Retail keys on their website: I have seen some people saying that on the Microsoft website they sell retail keys for windows 11 and i just wanted to check if this was the case. also if i replaced my motherboard would a retail key still be usable on the new motherboard?...
  4. Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...: I decided to transfer my windows 10 home RETAIL channel license to a new laptop, 1. before I bought a new laptop I removed my old device from my Microsoft account and uninstalled windows from the old laptop. The activation status on the old laptop showed that license was...
  5. Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...

Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...: I decided to transfer my windows 10 home RETAIL channel license to a new laptop, 1. before I bought a new laptop I removed my old device from my Microsoft account and uninstalled windows from the old laptop. The activation status on the old laptop showed that license was...
  6. Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license: I try to transfer my windows 10 PRO RETAIL license to new laptop with no luck.the problem:I have old laptop with activated windows 10 PRO digital license - when checking lsmgr it claims that is RETAIL license and I have now new laptop which comes with windows 11 HOME OEM...
  8. use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license

use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license: I try to transfer my windows 10 PRO RETAIL license to new laptop with no luck.the problem:I have old laptop with activated windows 10 PRO digital license - when checking lsmgr it claims that is RETAIL license and I have now new laptop which comes with windows 11 HOME OEM...
  9. Is there a way to see if my 64-bit W10 Pro. retail key was registered in my MS account online?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there a way to see if my 64-bit W10 Pro. retail key was registered in my MS account online?: I don't see it any where even in my device list shouldn't my custom built PC be listed? online. I want to be sure it matches what I see on my PC with its "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" MS account and "Windows is activated with a...
  10. Is there a way to see if my 64-bit W10 Pro. retail key was registered in my MS account online?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to see if my 64-bit W10 Pro. retail key was registered in my MS account online?: I don't see it any where even in my device list shouldn't my custom built PC be listed? online. I want to be sure it matches what I see on my PC with its "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" MS account and "Windows is activated with a...