Windows 10: Windows 10 retail ?

Discus and support Windows 10 retail ? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; It's just hard to wrap your head around not being able to update them like a normal thumb drive. Or reuse them for something else. If I had one, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by sn00ker, Dec 17, 2017.

1. sn00ker Win User

Windows 10 retail ?

That's all its good for with these early versions / builds . I think I can too. But I wouldn't mind one when 10 is really stable

sn00ker, Dec 21, 2017

2. "really stable"? The cycle seems to be fix, break, fix, break. IMHO, a build should never go public if it has "know issues". That's fine if its an insider build, but not if its a general release to non insiders. Sorry, off topic I know. I just feel like Windows 10 isn't a finished product, and never will be. They keep adding stuff but don't clean up the left overs. Why do we still have Control Panel and Settings for example. Rant over. *Wink

alphanumeric, Dec 21, 2017
  3. sn00ker Win User
    Totally agree, though I think they never want the cycle to stop. What windows 10 is now and what it will look like in five years will probably be a total different OS >>> Windows 12 but still be named 10

sn00ker, Dec 22, 2017
  4. Windows 10 retail ?

I was expecting the 10 to disappear and it to be just called Windows. I shouldn't complain, I haven't had all that many issues myself. I'd just like to see some stuff actually finished before new stuff is added.

This rapid release cycle must be just great for Retail Outlets. Stock gets outdated pretty quickly. How much do you keep on hand? When its last years build, do you sell it anyway, at full price? I'm sure some will just say, why yes its Windows 10, and leave out the last years build part.

alphanumeric, Dec 22, 2017
  5. Barman58 Win User
    The thing with prices and stock holdings etc is , due to the way that any version of windows (10) is set to update for free to the latest version on first use, (indeed you seem to have to beat it with a stick to stop it updating), you will always be buying the latest version so a vendor could quite legitimately ignore the version number for stock holding and price just replace stock with the latest as you reach the minimum stock level as you would with a non versioned item.

This assumes that the accidentally extended free upgrade does end this year as at the moment a cheap copy of windows 8.1 is probably the cheapest route to Windows 10 if you do not already own a valid windows version

Barman58, Dec 22, 2017
  6. Your really just buying the Product code / license anyway. So you could just download the latest install media via the MCT, if what you got was an older build. And use your product code with that.

7. Barman58 Win User
    The only losers in this new system are those who are stuck with slow, limited and metered Internet connections who would end up paying a price for updating a "new" purchased OS. Of course they are also penalised with all other updates/upgrades in the same way

Barman58, Dec 22, 2017
  8. Windows 10 retail ?

Very good point. Living in the city with high speed internet I lose site of stuff like that. Even so I'm sometimes left twiddling my thumbs waiting for the upgrade to finish. It must be agony for those on metered and or slow connections. *Banghead

9. sn00ker Win User
    I agree they should get rid of 10 and just name it windows and the license key is all that matters . I doubt if they'll ever stop updating it. One can always get the latest version else where with slow connections. The thing I find odd is they can't tell which build is on these sticks only the year when it was created .

sn00ker, Dec 22, 2017
  10. sn00ker Win User
    This is exactly what I did. I haven't kept in touch with windows 8 . I didn't even know its no longer supported . I found out the hard way lol . I don't know if you guys remember when windows 8.0 came out MS for a limited time gave windows 8.0 for $15 dollars ( Canadian ) in my country that is . I took advantage of it and bought 3 copies, I was trying to tell people to buy it and I couldn't believe how many people didn't . For me it has paid off because these keys work on windows 8.1 retail . And that's how I got all my copies of 10 $15

sn00ker, Dec 22, 2017
  11. Barman58 Win User
    Windows 8 was replaced by 8.1 which was treated as an Update rather than an upgrade, so 8 itself never got the extended support, ( this was and still is applicable to 8.1), but like any copy of windows after a certain time iss only supported when fully updated

Barman58, Dec 22, 2017
  12. sn00ker Win User
    True enough . Since I did the upgraded process on 3 PC's from 8 to 10. Now I actually can use the latest 10 pro version, do a clean installation and activated with my 8 keys

sn00ker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 retail ?

1. Windows 10 retail ? - Similar Threads - retail

2. Microsoft selling oem or Retail keys on their website

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft selling oem or Retail keys on their website: I have seen some people saying that on the Microsoft website they sell retail keys for windows 11 and i just wanted to check if this was the case. also if i replaced my motherboard would a retail key still be usable on the new motherboard?...
  3. Microsoft selling oem or Retail keys on their website

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft selling oem or Retail keys on their website: I have seen some people saying that on the Microsoft website they sell retail keys for windows 11 and i just wanted to check if this was the case. also if i replaced my motherboard would a retail key still be usable on the new motherboard?...
  4. Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...: I decided to transfer my windows 10 home RETAIL channel license to a new laptop, 1. before I bought a new laptop I removed my old device from my Microsoft account and uninstalled windows from the old laptop. The activation status on the old laptop showed that license was...
  5. Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...

Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...: I decided to transfer my windows 10 home RETAIL channel license to a new laptop, 1. before I bought a new laptop I removed my old device from my Microsoft account and uninstalled windows from the old laptop. The activation status on the old laptop showed that license was...
  6. Removed my old devicewith RETAIL channel windows home licensefrom Microsoft account before...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license: I try to transfer my windows 10 PRO RETAIL license to new laptop with no luck.the problem:I have old laptop with activated windows 10 PRO digital license - when checking lsmgr it claims that is RETAIL license and I have now new laptop which comes with windows 11 HOME OEM...
  8. use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license

use owned retail pro license on device with oem home license: I try to transfer my windows 10 PRO RETAIL license to new laptop with no luck.the problem:I have old laptop with activated windows 10 PRO digital license - when checking lsmgr it claims that is RETAIL license and I have now new laptop which comes with windows 11 HOME OEM...
  9. Is there a way to see if my 64-bit W10 Pro. retail key was registered in my MS account online?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is there a way to see if my 64-bit W10 Pro. retail key was registered in my MS account online?: I don't see it any where even in my device list shouldn't my custom built PC be listed? online. I want to be sure it matches what I see on my PC with its "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" MS account and "Windows is activated with a...
  10. Is there a way to see if my 64-bit W10 Pro. retail key was registered in my MS account online?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to see if my 64-bit W10 Pro. retail key was registered in my MS account online?: I don't see it any where even in my device list shouldn't my custom built PC be listed? online. I want to be sure it matches what I see on my PC with its "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" MS account and "Windows is activated with a...