Windows 10: Windows 10 reverted back to Windows 8.1

Discus and support Windows 10 reverted back to Windows 8.1 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a peculiar problem, I'm sure. I bought a PC with preinstalled Chinese version Windows 8.1. I downloaded a Language Pack and changed it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dan_In_Chin, May 5, 2020.

1. Windows 10 reverted back to Windows 8.1

I have a peculiar problem, I'm sure. I bought a PC with preinstalled Chinese version Windows 8.1. I downloaded a Language Pack and changed it to English. Within a few weeks, I also upgraded it to Window 10 free of charge, as Microsoft offered. This was about three years ago, as far as my memory goes. Recently, windows was acting up and the PC was slow and buggy. So I decided to reinstall reset Windows. And after the reset/reinstall, I found to my utter surprise, that I have Windows 8.1 and that too, in Chinese. I have tried to apply the Language Pack, but the system does not allow it to revert to English. I have two questions, please.

Is there any way I can revert to English?

Can I again upgrade to Windows 10?

I still have the Windows product key.

:)

Dan_In_Chin, May 5, 2020

2. Windows 8 failure configuring updates and reverting

I agree 8 is awful! It's not for me though... I replaced a broken screen in a Win 8 laptop that was given to me and I am going to give it for free to someone that can't afford one so they can do homework at home. Yes I took it from 8 to 8.1 back on 10/09/2014. This is what I posted there...

"Great post! I found a similar one. I would like to point out that you may want to edit your OP...

1. Step 1 should read to disable AUTOMATIC updates, not disable manual updates.

2. KB2871398 should really read KB2871389

I would like to say that KB2917499 may also be needed as it was in my case. I also had to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter after installing those 2 updates. After these steps I was able to begin my 8.1 download from the Microsoft store. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but I also went into the Bios and disabled "Secure Boot."

It was a helpful post. Thanks!

BlackHawk1, May 23, 2020
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, May 23, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 reverted back to Windows 8.1

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 reverted back to Windows 8.1

1. Windows 10 reverted back to Windows 8.1 - Similar Threads - reverted

2. How can I revert back to Win 10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How can I revert back to Win 10?: Hello everyoneA few months ago, I upgraded my Win 10 Home install to Win 11. After some time, I found that Windows 11 is not for me.Now, when I do a fresh install of Windows 10, I cannot activate it. Did my license get upgraded to Windows 11 permanently?Thanks in advance...
  3. How can I revert back to Win 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I revert back to Win 10?: Hello everyoneA few months ago, I upgraded my Win 10 Home install to Win 11. After some time, I found that Windows 11 is not for me.Now, when I do a fresh install of Windows 10, I cannot activate it. Did my license get upgraded to Windows 11 permanently?Thanks in advance...
  4. How can I revert back to Win 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...: 1. I have tried 2 CD drives and get the same problem2. This is an external CD drive3. This happens after 2-3 days with or without new programs and updates.4. The CD drive does not show up on the computer at all and running the device search shows nothing.5. The CD drive is...
  6. My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...

My computer fails to see an external CD drive after a few days, and I have to revert to...: 1. I have tried 2 CD drives and get the same problem2. This is an external CD drive3. This happens after 2-3 days with or without new programs and updates.4. The CD drive does not show up on the computer at all and running the device search shows nothing.5. The CD drive is...
  7. What does Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a...: What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a 'dark' setting when previous set at 'Light'.This has been happening for the past 14 months since receiveing a new HP Elitebook Spec: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42...
  8. What does Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a...

What does Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a...: What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a 'dark' setting when previous set at 'Light'.This has been happening for the past 14 months since receiveing a new HP Elitebook Spec: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42...
  9. What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting...: What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a 'dark' setting when previous set at 'Light'.This has been happening for the past 14 months since receiveing a new HP Elitebook Spec: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42...
  10. What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting...

What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting...: What does te Windows Explorer and /or google Chrome keep randomly 1- 5 openings reverting to a 'dark' setting when previous set at 'Light'.This has been happening for the past 14 months since receiveing a new HP Elitebook Spec: 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.42...