Windows 10: Windows 10 reverting to Home during clean reinstall

Discus and support Windows 10 reverting to Home during clean reinstall in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a Dell Inspiron 3793 that is running Windows 10 Pro. In Settings>Update & Security>Activation, it shows: Edition: Windows 10 Pro... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mark Hartry, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Windows 10 reverting to Home during clean reinstall

I have a Dell Inspiron 3793 that is running Windows 10 Pro. In Settings>Update & Security>Activation, it shows:

Edition: Windows 10 Pro

Activation: Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft Account.

When I attempt to perform a clean install of Windows using the Media Creation Tool I end up with Windows 10 Home. Settings>Update & Security>Activation shows:

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Activation: Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft Account.

I have attempted this a couple of times and have had to restore my system from a backup to get back to Windows 10 Pro. Each time during the installation process I click on "I don't have a license key" and sign into my Microsoft Account as an Administrator.

I checked the computer specifications on the Dell website and the laptop had Windows 10 Home when it left Dell. I bought it from Best Buy with Windows 10 Pro already installed. Running slmgr /dli in Command Prompt Admin, I get:

Name: WindowsR,Professional Edition

Description: WindowsR Operating System, OEM_DM channel

Partial Product Key: XXXXX

License Status: Licensed

With other computers that I've had in the past, upgrading from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro always reinstalled Windows 10 Pro with no issues. Is there some step I'm missing?

:)

Mark Hartry, Apr 12, 2021
  2. puma99dk| Win User

Reinstalling Windows 10 to sell a PC - is the 'Remove everything' option enough?

Restore factory settings do list Removes your personal files, apps and settings, and reinstalls the version of Windows that came on this PC.

So if this isn't true well than just erase the drive and install a clean Windows 10 with all the drivers u need but why should it be true
    @FordGT90Concept ? *Laugh :laugh:

puma99dk|, Apr 12, 2021
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Apr 12, 2021
  4. Nordic Win User

Windows 10 reverting to Home during clean reinstall

Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 reverting to Home during clean reinstall

1. Windows 10 reverting to Home during clean reinstall - Similar Threads - reverting Home during

2. Clean Windows 10 reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Clean Windows 10 reinstall: Sorry for writing this in a separate post, im new so i dont know is there is some kind of chat for these problems. Anyways I want to reinstall my windows 10 fully on my ssd (I want all current applications, documents etc. To be deleted). Do I have to delete my files...
  3. Can't reinstall Windows 10 during "Fully Clean Drive"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't reinstall Windows 10 during "Fully Clean Drive": Hello there, I was aloud to get the "old" PC from a friend with Windows 10 Home on it. So, I went on and used the "Clean Drive" on the SSD of the recovery mode. During that, I had an electric outage. So after that, I went on and did the whole procedure again. With success....
  4. Clean reinstall Windows 10

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Clean reinstall Windows 10: Lost admin rights 2nd Time and I'm trying to reinstall Win10 using the Media Creation Tool 1909. Unable to get my computer to boot from the USB drive the tool is on. No matter which option I choose, it boots to the sign in screen. Any help is appreciated....
  5. Reinstall after clean reinstall of windows 10

Reinstall after clean reinstall of windows 10: i back up my windows 10 machine to a western digital hard drive. Will that reinstall all of my applications? thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reinstall-after-clean-reinstall-of-windows-10/1ef582dd-62a0-4774-a637-173c9f32cc19
  6. How to revert to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to revert to Windows 10 Home: I have a new personal laptop. I installed Windows 10 Pro Plus using my work email address. Now I want to uninstall it and return to Windows 10 Home, using my personal email. How can I do this?...
  7. Revert to Windows Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Revert to Windows Home: I inherited a Dell laptop from my mother that runs Windows 10. She would take it into a retail computer geek space when it needed "fixing." For some reason they put a 90 day key for Professional on the machine. I'm guessing to do the work needed. They did not remove the key...
  8. Windows 10 clean reinstall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 clean reinstall: Will doing a clean install on a machine with a install file created on a different machine still allow me to have a activated version on the repaired computer? The machine that needs repairing is a Windows 7 computer that was upgraded when it was free. Thanks in advance,...
  9. Windows 10 clean reinstall

Windows 10 clean reinstall: I downloaded windows 10 during the free period, i now want to install it on a new computer before this one dies but I dont seem to have a product key - it was automatically updated How do i go about this?...
  10. Windows Clean Reinstall: Windows Pro changed to Home

Windows Clean Reinstall: Windows Pro changed to Home: After finally getting my drives to work (as whined about in a prior thread and I will update there), I did a clean install of Windows 10. I skipped the key part, because every where I looked, it was stated that the installation would activate the prior version. However, I...