Windows 10: Windows 10 Review – Windows 7 Reimagined

Discus and support Windows 10 Review – Windows 7 Reimagined in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; It’s not a secret anymore and no matter how hard one tries not to admit it, Windows 8 failed to meet expectations and instead of changing the way we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Dec 24, 2014.

1. labeeman Win User

Windows 10 Review – Windows 7 Reimagined

More

:)

labeeman, Dec 24, 2014

2. Photo apps for Windows 10

Hi Maria,

This issue with the Photos app may occur due to changes with some updates for Windows 10. Could you tell us if you are using Windows 10 Fall Creators Update? If yes, we recommend that you check this

link
    to know the Photos app new features.

Let us know whenever you need further assistance.

Nathaniel Mon, Dec 24, 2014
  3. BunnyJ New Member

Thanks for the link.

Conclusion from article:

BunnyJ, Dec 24, 2014
  4. ARC1020 Win User
    Does it fix what went wrong in Windows 8 though?

I haven’t installed Windows 10 yet, although I’ve been following the changes as an observer and it appears they haven’t really changed much so far compared to Windows 8.1. Predominantly just windowed store apps, multiple desktops and the option of a Start Menu.

I never really minded Windows 8, but what I liked about it was more to do with the improvements made behind the scenes, rather than the changes Windows 8 is infamous for (it also helped that I prefer the Start Screen rather than a Start Menu). For me though, the area where Windows 8 is really, really bad (and one that’s still the same in Windows 10), is when it comes to the Store Apps. Using them is really a horrible disjointed experience.

OK, so in Windows 10 they’ve allowed the store apps to run in a window, but it doesn’t change the fact that they’re still a dictatorship style, limited functionality, non-customisable mess with a horrible menus. You have menus at the top, menu’s at the bottom, bit’s that slide out from the left, bits that slide out from the right. When you right-click you have these massive buttons appear with no consistency about them. It’s all over the place. With normal desktop software the menus are consistent, so no matter what software you’re using you have familiarity.

It wouldn’t be so bad if Microsoft were going to continue developing proper software applications, but given that it seems they’re abandoning development of normal windows software for these store apps, they really need to sort them out because they’re terrible. It’s a bit like a car manufacturer removing all the passenger seats/carpet/interior trim, swapping all the controls around, welding up all the doors and then selling it as a more economical and more secure version. Sure, it probably is, but it’s no good if it’s borderline unusable.

Believe me, I really want to like store apps, because the least amount of additional software I have to install on Windows, the better, but whenever I try using store apps again to see if they’ve improved, I always end up going back to the desktop software I was using before. Not to mention they update automatically, with no documentation what’s been changed, you just have to put up with the changes and if you don’t like them, tough, you can’t even keep using an older version of the app.

An example of that is the Mail app. The earlier version was better without the stupid flat ‘metro’ icons on the left hand side. It just had Inbox, Sent items, Deleted items, etc. written in plain text on the left, which was much more useable and familiar. In the new version, even if you never ever use ‘Flagged’ and ‘Favourites’, you’re stuck with them. Also the colour scheme changed to the horrible blue in the new version. But there’s nothing you can do about any of that, you’re stuck using something that some person the other side of the world has decided you have to like. Like it or lump it! The outlook.com website is better than the Mail, People & Calendar store apps and not only a better interface, but has better functionality. Yes, a webpage is even better than Microsoft's North Korean store apps.

Then don’t get me started on the functionality! You're not even able to back up your emails locally. But even simple things like viewing email attachments don’t work properly. So, someone sends you a picture file and despite having all the default programs set for file associations, it still asks you what software you want to use to open the file. OK, with JPEG, PNG & GIF it remembers your choice, but with TIFF and BMP for example, every single time it just says “We can’t open this file. Do you want to save it and try opening it with another app?” even after telling it what default program to use. Really!

Now, some may say, why don’t you just use the photo app as the default picture viewer instead of Windows Photo Viewer. Well, it’s because the photo app is also rubbish. It doesn’t even allow you to view file properties/exif of the image, or allow you to view the image at 100%. It doesn't even have a print button. Pretty basic functionality is missing and I’m not even sure whether it’s colour managed or not. And let’s not forget the disjointed way the photos app launches in a split screen from the Mail app, instead of its own full window.

Still at least it’s not as bad as the video app. That goes beyond just rubbish to unusable. Yup, even if you look past the wall of ads from Microsoft trying to get you to buy TV programs from their tv/film store, when all you want to do is view a video on your computer, it’s terrible. I watch several podcasts every week, that run in the background when I’m working. If there’s something in the podcast I need to look at I just click on Windows Media Player and start watching. Then move it back to the background and carry on listening whilst working. But with the Video app you can’t do that, nope that’s right, you can’t just listen to it in the background, because as soon as you start using your desktop programs it suspends the video app and stops playing. All you can do is allow it to use quarter of the screen, but that’s no good when you need the whole screen for work. So, you have no choice but to go back to Windows Media Player or VLC (even though I’ve never really liked the Windows Media player UI either).

So, IMO Windows 10 isn’t Windows 8 done right. Nowhere near it until they either sort out those stupid store apps, or continue development of normal desktop programs such as Windows Live Mail, Windows Media Player, etc.

Happy Christmas! *Smile

ARC1020, Dec 24, 2014
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    Why not try it before judging it. It might give you a clearer perspective on it maybe??

BunnyJ, Dec 24, 2014
  6. Wynona Win User
    Reading on the Internet is a far cry from installing and using Windows 10.

I'd suggest that before offering up your review, you actually try the OS first.

Wynona, Dec 24, 2014
  7. Edwin New Member

In my humble opinion, I think Windows 10 is developing quite nicely. I wish I had all Windows devices though, which would make my opinion much more well rounded.

One thing I do find a tiny bit irritating:
    In the 'Modern' UI, sometimes you can't realize a live link because they don't 'glow' very much on mouse hover, you more or less have to click on them to see if it IS a live link or not.

Edwin, Dec 24, 2014
  8. Wynona Win User
    Yeah, I kinda like it too, but haven't tried it long enough to give an educated opinion.

I read somewhere that if a certain "beta" were installed that Windows 10 wouldn't install the current updates; however, that doesn't seem to hold true.

The computer has been sitting alone and unattended for a couple or three months and I have that certain "beta" installed. Windows 10 updated quite nicely this AM. So, I guess that was either fixed or wasn't true. *Smile

Wynona, Dec 24, 2014
  9. Edwin New Member
    Yeah, I kinda like it too, but haven't tried it long enough to give an educated opinion.

I read somewhere that if a certain "beta" were installed that Windows 10 wouldn't install the current updates; however, that doesn't seem to hold true.

The computer has been sitting alone and unattended for a couple or three months and I have that certain "beta" installed. Windows 10 updated quite nicely this AM. So, I guess that was either fixed or wasn't true. *Smile Which Beta are you using?

I'm on Build 9841 at this very moment because I like the features on it the best, (with the possible exception of Build 9901!), but I can't open 'Update and Recovery'/'Preview Builds' because it wants to force an update on me!

Edwin, Dec 24, 2014
  10. Phone Man Win User
    MS said that if you are running a leaked version of W10 that the next release, expected in Jan would not install. Those version still get minor updates.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Dec 24, 2014
  11. ARC1020 Win User
    Are you saying those issues have been rectified in Windows 10?

ARC1020, Dec 24, 2014
  12. groze Win User

Reading on the Internet is a far cry from installing and using Windows 10.

I'd suggest that before offering up your review, you actually try the OS first. Actually, that how I decided most of my purchase I make online buy reading comments and views from others. Including this computer I am using. However, I did try windows 10 tech preview and I glad I stopped testing it, I have my reasons. End users are not suppose test windows 10 but Microsoft is not forbidding them for doing so.

ARC1020 does have some valid points.

groze, Dec 24, 2014
  13. Wynona Win User
    I can't tell you which beta, Edwin, or I'd violate my NDA. *Sad

I'm on Build 9879 and it seems fine to me. So far I don't seem to be having problems with it and as I said, the updates have installed with no problems. Also, the build that's supposed to be affected is 9879, not 9841. So you're in the clear as far as I know.

Edit: I should have said patches, rather than updates to 9879.

Wynona, Dec 25, 2014
  14. Wynona Win User

Wynona, Dec 25, 2014
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Review – Windows 7 Reimagined - Similar Threads - Review – Reimagined

2. Windows 10 and use of Glassdoor reviews SORT option

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 and use of Glassdoor reviews SORT option: In Windows 10 version 21H2 19044 when using Chrome or Firefox browsers I cannot select a SORT option in reviews. So I would go to Glassdoor or Google something like " Glassdoor reviews Tesla". I am on my Legion Ryzen laptop. The mouse pointer changes to a hand in Glassdoor...
  3. Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Six Months On: My Review of Windows 10 BROKEN: This is me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/is-there-any-time-table-on-a-coming-fix-for-the/ad983a68-7642-4f5e-aa56-df9bdc8a5fad?tm=1605565447443How lovely it has been this past six months, being forced to randomly hard reboot my...
  4. Windows 10 reviews?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 reviews?: Just curious what people think about windows 10? Personally I have had nothing but problems since day one. Just sayin. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-reviews/6f60bf38-e393-44c9-9c41-78932b828269
  5. Windows 10 & Office365: Document display and reviewing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 & Office365: Document display and reviewing: Dear Engineers: My Mac allows me to open any type of document with a simple double-click, and display it in ANY 2-dimensional dimensions, and display it in ANY part of my screen, along with any other documents, and leaves them exactly where and how I put them, in that part...
  6. Windows Inside review 10.0.17738.1000

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Inside review 10.0.17738.1000: I have this in the updates, now, to restart but it will not install it at all try 6 or more times and it will not install on here. It just sent you back to the OS you are running, now. My PC is running Windows Insider Review 10.0.17713.1002 now. Need help on this. thank...
  7. Windows 10 Action Center reimagined in this new stunning concept

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Action Center reimagined in this new stunning concept: Windows comes with several new and mobile-focused features. Windows 10 has an Action Center, which is more like a smartphone’s notifications panel that has quick action features. Action Center comes in handy to some users and it has been reimagined in a new fan art. A...
  8. Windows 10 Review, Cortana, and Problems.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Review, Cortana, and Problems.: Review. I like Windows 10, and the new features. For starters, it looks better, so much nicer, and futuristic since we are getting into that age now. I like that it resembles the past previous Windows with the start menu, bring in the old, but make it new. I like the way...
  9. New AI features in reimagined Photos app for Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    New AI features in reimagined Photos app for Windows 10: New artificial intelligence features in the reimagined Photos app for Windows 10 make it easier to search and create personalized photos and videos to bring your memories to life. It’s December…time for the annual holiday photo! If you’re like most people, you have a very...
  10. Microsoft reimagines open source cloud hardware

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft reimagines open source cloud hardware: Tomorrow, I’ll be speaking at Zettastructure: The European Digital Infrastructure Summit hosted by Datacenter Dynamics in London. In collaboration with the Open Compute Project (OCP), we are introducing Project Olympus – our next generation hyperscale cloud hardware design...