Windows 10: Windows 10 right clicking personalization or display settings not working!

Discus and support Windows 10 right clicking personalization or display settings not working! in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/bricks2920 [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/bricks2920, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Windows 10 right clicking personalization or display settings not working!

/u/bricks2920, Aug 22, 2020

2. Desktop Right Click Personalize and Display Settings don't work

I can successfully run Personalize and Display Settings from the PC Settings submenu. However, when I Right Click desktop, Personalize and Display Settings show up in the little menu, but do not work. I get a very brief CMD screen, then nothing. I have tried: Scannow and DISM clean, and removed the two HKLM and the HKCR registry items and the that are suggested online. I've updated graphics drivers. I've fully updated Windows 10 to ver1909. Any other suggestions to get this to work from Right Click desktop on my Lenovo AIO greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks.
    Peter

silversmith, Aug 22, 2020
  3. Desktop Right Click Personalize and Display Settings don't work

Okay, I'm back earlier than I expected and I tested this on a system and it works as expected (at least for me), although I was not missing either of these context menu items as you are.

So it actually turns out in this instance to be easier to NOT use the regini utility.

Do this:

NOTE: Make sure that you are logged on with an Admin account before doing this.

Run REGEDIT.

Navigate to to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Display

Right-click on that key in the left pane and choose Permissions...

Click on Advanced

Note the name of the owner near the top of the Advanced Security Settings for Display window. To the right of that owner, click on "Change". In the Enter the object name to select box, type in "Administrators" and hit Enter. That will take you back to the previous screen. The owner should now indicate administrators.

In the Permission entries section, you will see several colums of information. One of those colums is called "Principal". Look for the entry that starts with "Administrators". Click on that line and then click the "Edit" button. Check the box next to "Full Control" and then click the "OK" button.

On the line with "Administrators" listed as the principal, the "Access" column for that line should now say Full Control.

Click on the OK button.

Click on OK again.

In regedit, expand the Display key and select the "command" key. Repeat the above steps for this key.

When done, close the registry editor.

Double-click the "Remove_Display_settings_from_desktop_context_menu.reg" that you downloaded.

Restart Windows.

NOTE: I don't know for sure that a reboot is absolutely necessary, but it's a good idea after making a registry change.

NOTE: In my testing, it looks like these keys get automatically recreated after I delete them. So you may want to check shortly after you have rebooted if the Display Settings context menu item is already available. If not, proceed with the below steps:

Once the system is back up again, double-click the "Add_Display_settings_to_desktop_context_menu.reg" that you downloaded.

If it fails, you may need to follow the steps above again to change the permissions on those keys, just don't delete the keys after you have recreated them this time.

Reboot once more.

Is the Display Settings context menu item available now?

hsehestedt, Aug 22, 2020
  4. Naki Win User

Windows 10 right clicking personalization or display settings not working!

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

Windows 10 right clicking personalization or display settings not working!

1. Windows 10 right clicking personalization or display settings not working! - Similar Threads - right clicking personalization

2. Right click is not working on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right click is not working on windows 10: I am experiencing an issue with the right-click menu. The menu only displays for .zip files and some documents, but not for normal folders or shortcuts. When I attempt to load the cursor, it becomes stuck and does not work for apps or software. The error video has been...
  3. Right click is not working on windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Right click is not working on windows 10: I am experiencing an issue with the right-click menu. The menu only displays for .zip files and some documents, but not for normal folders or shortcuts. When I attempt to load the cursor, it becomes stuck and does not work for apps or software. The error video has been...
  4. Personalization, Display Settings, Settings unable to open from Desktop on right click.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Personalization, Display Settings, Settings unable to open from Desktop on right click.: Hi, I am unable to open Personalization, Display Settings from desktop on right click. A small command window pops up and disappears after clicking on either options. I can access personalization and display settings from the settings app but cannot access from desktop. Same...
  5. Desktop Right Click Personalize and Display Settings don't work

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Desktop Right Click Personalize and Display Settings don't work: I can successfully run Personalize and Display Settings from the PC Settings submenu. However, when I Right Click desktop, Personalize and Display Settings show up in the little menu, but do not work. I get a very brief CMD screen, then nothing. I have tried: Scannow and DISM...
  6. Display settings and Personalize options not working.

Display settings and Personalize options not working.: Hello, when I right click on my desktop and then select Display Options or Personalize then a command prompt is showing up for milisecond and then it dissapear?......
  7. Right click is not bringing up Configurations for Personal display

in Windows 10 Support
    Right click is not bringing up Configurations for Personal display: It's all in the subject, I think. Recently upgraded MIcrosoft 10. 164470
  8. Desktop Right Click Personalize and Display Settings don't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Right Click Personalize and Display Settings don't work: I can successfully run Personalize and Display Settings from the PC Settings submenu. However, when I Right Click desktop, Personalize and Display Settings show up in the little menu, but do not work. I get a very brief CMD screen, then nothing. I have tried: Scannow and DISM...
  9. Getting error massage after doing right click - click on personalize or Display settings

Getting error massage after doing right click - click on personalize or Display settings: [ATTACH][ATTACH] Hello, When I am trying to go into personalize or Display settings, getting an error message which I have uploaded. If someone knows about this problem kindly help me. Thanking you....
  10. Taskbar, Display Settings, and Personalize Not Working

Taskbar, Display Settings, and Personalize Not Working: I just updated my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and now I cannot get the Start or Search buttons on my taskbar to respond at all. I cannot open the Taskbar Settings either, but programs will launch from the Task Bar at least, so it's not totally frozen. Also, when...