Windows 10: Windows 10: RTM is dead (sorta) -- Long live Windows as a Service

Discus and support Windows 10: RTM is dead (sorta) -- Long live Windows as a Service in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [img] Ever since news broke of Windows 10 reaching the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) milestone of development, my inbox has been full of people... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by swarfega, Jul 21, 2015.

1. swarfega Win User

Windows 10: RTM is dead (sorta) -- Long live Windows as a Service

Windows 10: RTM is dead (sorta) -- Long live Windows as a Service [​IMG]

Ever since news broke of Windows 10 reaching the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) milestone of development, my inbox has been full of people claiming that I’m wrong about build 10240 (the build released to Insiders) being the official Windows 10 RTM. Build 10240 is the RTM, but not in the traditional sense.

Ever since news broke of Windows 10 reaching the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) milestone of development, my inbox has been full of people claiming that I’m wrong about build 10240 (the build released to Insiders) being the official Windows 10 RTM. Build 10240 is the RTM, but not in the traditional sense.

For the last 30 years, when developing a new version of Windows, Microsoft eventually hits a point in which they are finished with development. This is known as the RTM milestone, a point in which Microsoft signs-off the version of Windows they have been working on and gives it out to OEMs and Partners. In the past, this was a very big and very physical affair. In 2002, when Windows XP hit RTM, it was sent to OEMs on a golden disk via helicopter, a freaking helicopter!

These days, it’s a little less exciting. With Windows 7, Microsoft announced that it had hit RTM via a blog post on its official Windows Blog, which is no longer available. The same happened with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 as well. Traditionally, Microsoft would hit RTM with a version of Windows months before the operating system was even scheduled for release.

Source

:)

swarfega, Jul 21, 2015
  2. Teemosan Win User

What is the RTM version of Windows 10?

I think I sorta understand what you're saying maybe Windows 10: RTM is dead (sorta) -- Long live Windows as a Service :)

I should install the non RTM one

Teemosan, Jul 21, 2015
  3. Roy 59er Win User
    Information about the end of Windows Phone 8.1 support!

The King is dead long live the king

Roy 59er, Jul 21, 2015
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

. . .again another confusing article or blog. . ."Service" what is meant by that word or term, and just because MS has stated they are finished with development doesn't mean 101240 is RTM. Maybe they are not going to release a RTM just the final. . .who knows; not me. . .*Smile

5. Superfly Win User
    Superfly, Jul 21, 2015
  6. See to me, this is how I always saw the situation. To me, "as a service" never had anything to do with pay structure; just the delivery method.. I thought of the product being upgraded the same way as Mac OS X. It has evolved slowly into a different animal since March 2000. But it will be delivered similarly to Google Chrome. Some seemed to think I was not aware of what I spoke of, but it seems to be materializing as I thought.

Jody Thornton, Jul 21, 2015
  7. DavidY Win User
    Along the same lines...

Full article on Thurrott.com: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...microsoft-says

DavidY, Jul 22, 2015
  8. Windows 10: RTM is dead (sorta) -- Long live Windows as a Service

I can't see the text on the OPs post on dark theme (TenForums general settings), I'm going to have to switch back to normal. Just something to keep in mind...

fracking4oil, Jul 22, 2015
  9. groze Win User
    @fracking4oil
    No need to switch back, just highlight the text with a mouse

groze, Jul 22, 2015
  10. LEE
    Lee Win User
    *Ditto

11. Basically "Windows 10" will remain in beta stage forever and MS will continue to issue patches, fixes and new feature add-ons ( mandatory) via Windows update. I have an odd feeling that consumer editions of 10 will be buggy as it may be patched with untested updates. Enterprise edition will be more stable as it may only receive properly tested updates.

Anshad Edavana, Jul 22, 2015
  12. Phone Man Win User
    MS has stated that the Insider program will continue and the updates will be sent to the Insiders for testing before they are released to the public.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jul 22, 2015
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

This would imply that if you are an Insider you will get / keep a FREE (or several FREE) versions of W10 indefinitely.

Seems a great way if you don't mind getting the odd "Pre-Beta" update or two --particular if you aren't running "Mission Critical" stuff on your PC's (and who usually runs Mission Critical stuff on a HOME PC anyway).

So long as you regularly backup your OS - and any critical data say office docs / email stuff and are careful with online Banking I can't see any problem.

Seems Ms is being Over generous here --remember "....There's no such thing as a Free Lunch ....."

Still I for one am not complaining -- I'm currently running ACTIVATED 10240 build on 6 machines !!! so Ms I'm willing to keep in the Insider program.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 22, 2015
  14. 24C
    24c Win User
    2 installs here, will stay on the Insider program - a new experience which should be fun.
    Jimbo - your quoted comment is the key - backups and more backups.

15. Cr00zng Win User
    One could argue that previous versions of Windows were/are in beta stage as well, since they did and will receive "patches, fixes and new feature add-ons" for the supported life-cycle of the OS.

The difference is the mandatory update for for certain versions of Windows 10 and its presently undefined life-cycle. The chances are that these are subject to change, depending on Microsoft's experience with the new way of supporting the OS...

Cr00zng, Jul 22, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10: RTM is dead (sorta) -- Long live Windows as a Service - Similar Threads - RTM dead sorta

2. WIndows 10 RTM Core

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    WIndows 10 RTM Core: Hi, I bought a aftermarket notebook - razer blade pro 2017an operating system was Windows 10 enterprise hacked, i thinki scanned with some tools my system and found what in the bios there area key for window 10 RTM Core, can someone tell me how i can now use this key legally,...
  3. WIndows 10 RTM Core

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WIndows 10 RTM Core: Hi, I bought a aftermarket notebook - razer blade pro 2017an operating system was Windows 10 enterprise hacked, i thinki scanned with some tools my system and found what in the bios there area key for window 10 RTM Core, can someone tell me how i can now use this key legally,...
  4. Windows 10 RTM CoreSingleLanguage

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 RTM CoreSingleLanguage: I have seconhand laptop that has a pre installed windows 10 home single language, I dont know its version I guest it's Windows 10 Version 1507.I do have a screenshot of its system please see the photo below. [ATTACH][ATTACH] Then my HDD fails and bring it to a technician...
  5. Windows 10 2004 update fails - sorta

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 2004 update fails - sorta: I am the SCCM admin for a mid-size University and I have an issue that has occurred on several computers with the latest Windows 10 Enterprise update to build 2004. The update installed from Software Center and everything went normal. After a reboot, a version check...
  6. SMB is Dead, Long Live SMB

in Windows 10 News
    SMB is Dead, Long Live SMB: Hello again, James Kehr here with another guest post. Titles are hard to do. They must convey the topic to the reader while being both interesting and informative, all at the same time. Doing this with a technical article makes life even harder. Now imagine my dilemma when...
  7. Windows Live Mail in Windows 10 RTM?

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Live Mail in Windows 10 RTM?: Greetings. I have been using Windows Live Mail since it came out as a replacement for Outlook Express. Now I'm told, that Windows Live Mail will not work in Windows 10 after the Preview period. Can anybody confirm this? As I also use emails to/from my job I can't use a...
  8. maps live tile dead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    maps live tile dead: New version of maps came through on store updates this morning. It works fine but the live tile no longer seems to function. appears to be dead. Tried turning live tile off and on but made no difference. Seems to be same on our other pc too. Anyone else notice this? I love it...
  9. Dead Live Tiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dead Live Tiles: I lost Live tiles when I did a registry patch to fix a problem with Notifications see How to reset notification from these apps - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums How can I get them back again - tried unpinning, resetting, rebooting... [img] And notifications pop up in...
  10. Windows 10 will not RTM this week

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 will not RTM this week: Earlier this week, we reported that Microsoft was expected to hit the RTM (Release To Manufacturing) milestone this week but that deadline has now slipped. The company was initially targeting July 9th for the date, but sources inside the company have indicated that this will...