Windows 10: Windows 10 running slowly possible disk failure?

Discus and support Windows 10 running slowly possible disk failure? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I built my daughter a PC last March. It's been running fine for 6 months but then started taking a long time to fully load and trying to do any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by asa_carter, Dec 29, 2020.

1. Windows 10 running slowly possible disk failure?

Hi

I built my daughter a PC last March. It's been running fine for 6 months but then started taking a long time to fully load and trying to do any task would take ages or not work at all. I've noticed in task manager the disk usage is running at 100%. I've just done a complete fresh install of Windows 10 and the issue is more or less the same and there is still 100% disk usage.

Here are the specs:

- Win 10 Pro

- Core i5 9600KF 3.70GHz

- 16GB RAM
    - 2TB Seagate Firecuda Hybrid Drive

Since installing a fresh copy of Windows, here are the steps I've taken so far:

- Made sure Windows is fully up to date

- Updated Windows security and completed a full check

- Ran a check disk and no error's found.

- Ran defrag. It was 15% fragmented.

- Installed Seagate's SeaTools and no issues found on the drive.

- Checked BIOS settings and temps.

- Physically checked the connections on the motherboard and drive.

The drive is still showing 100% disk usage. I'm sure the issue is the drive but the tools I've shown are all showing no issues. I'm not really sure how these hybrid drives work but maybe the issue is the flash part of the drive?

Are there any other tools for checking these drives or are there any other things I can try?

My wife's Celeron Mini PC is much more capable than this with a much lower spec.

:)

asa_carter, Dec 29, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 29, 2020
  3. PC running slowly after recent Windows 10 update

Hi

My lap top recently ran a Windows software update which took around an hour to perform. It now runs very slowly, before the update it was running just fine. Any suggestions?

That's probably not a lot of information to go on so if you need any more info please just ask.

Thanks

***Windows topics moved to Performance & system failures by the Moderator.***

EpicVentures, Dec 29, 2020
  4. Windows 10 running slowly possible disk failure?

Disk bloat in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

Is it my imagination, or does the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update consume an additional 20-30GB of disk space over the previous Creators Update release? Unfortunately, I didn't log my disk usage before the upgrade, but now my C: drive has 56GB of stuff, and I know it wasn't anywhere near that full before. I've run "Disk Cleanup -> Clean up system files" and selected everything on the list, including remove previous version of Windows. I also emptied my Recycle Bin, my Temp folder, \Windows\Temp folder, and \Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder. Finally, I ran Wise Disk Cleaner to delete assorted application garbage.

Has anyone else noticed the bloat in Fall Creators Update?

Static~Charge, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 running slowly possible disk failure?

1. Windows 10 running slowly possible disk failure? - Similar Threads - running slowly possible

2. Windows 11 Running Slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Running Slowly: Hello Gals and Guys - I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 11, but it's been running poorly. Specifically, sometimes, not always, certain programs will open slowly like if I click on them, it's like i didn't cause it hangs for a minuteit seems like a minute before it finally...
  3. Windows 11 Running Slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Running Slowly: Hello Gals and Guys - I recently upgraded my PC to Windows 11, but it's been running poorly. Specifically, sometimes, not always, certain programs will open slowly like if I click on them, it's like i didn't cause it hangs for a minuteit seems like a minute before it finally...
  4. Run Windows 10 from an external disk - is it possible?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Run Windows 10 from an external disk - is it possible?: Today I bought a desktop from a family member and I just realized that has a 2TB HDD. My intention would be to buy an external SSD, install Windows, connect it via USB and boot from it. The HDD disk would remain as a secondary. Is this possible? submitted by...
  5. Windows running slowly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows running slowly: So to start off my computer has 16 GB of ram, Intel i5-7500 4 core processor (and a GTX 1060, if that changes anything) but yet windows runs very slowly. Sometimes it’ll take up to 20 seconds to just get a response from pressing the windows key, and I find it very annoying....
  6. Windows 10 is suddenly running slowly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 is suddenly running slowly: My laptops has always been fast but in the last few days its suddenly run much slower. I haven't downloaded anything so i don't what it could be. Can someone please help me?...
  7. Windows 10 is running slowly

Windows 10 is running slowly: Windows 10 runs sooo slowly. Is there anyone who can help with instructions for 2019? I've checked the community but all the links for the same problem are for windows 8 or are too old to be relevant. Microsoft jargon is not plain English and for those of us with a brain yet...
  8. Windows 10 is running very slowly.

Windows 10 is running very slowly.: HOw do I speed up Window s 10? Are there files I need to remove? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-is-running-very-slowly/2ab1c823-577b-4d2b-be05-e8ec6b9ddde2
  9. Computer running slowly (possibly because of process 'WmiApSrv.exe')

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer running slowly (possibly because of process 'WmiApSrv.exe'): Hey, Seemingly out of nowhere for the past week my computer's been running very slowly when it comes to low intensity games / browsing. Specifically whenever I open a flash game my browser freezes. And whenever I'm playing WoW and there's like 20+ people on the screen it...
  10. Windows Explorer running slowly

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer running slowly: My partner's computer is having a problem with Windows Explorer running slowly and poorly. It's been happening for nearly a month, she ascribes the timing of symptoms beginning to show to the same time she installed some new software. I'm not totally convinced as I've had a...