Windows 10: Windows 10 runs ok then progressively dies

Discus and support Windows 10 runs ok then progressively dies in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've been directed here from the general forum since it sounds like I have a hardware issue. My symptoms are: Windows 10 Pro, version 1709... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by mpeill, Mar 14, 2018.

1. mpeill Win User

Windows 10 runs ok then progressively dies

I've been directed here from the general forum since it sounds like I have a hardware issue. My symptoms are:

Windows 10 Pro, version 1709
    Everything OK from bootup for several minutes/an hour or two/perhaps all day, then:
    Firefox browser won't start. Chrome browser won't start.
    Edge browser will start, but won't accept any keyboard input into any fields.
    Other applications run but are very sluggish.
    Starting task manager, both firefox and chrome are shown as running processes even though they haven't displayed on screen.
    CPU load about 10%, memory usage about 4Gb of the installed 8Gb.
    Any application that is minimised on the task bar now has a dormant icon which does nothing if clicked.
    Clicking the start button once does nothing, but then clicking a second time opens up the tiles menu.
    In task manager, selecting Windows Explorer process and restarting this clears the screen to black, apart from the task manager window which still shows.
    Nothing further can be done apart from restarting the computer. All is then well again, symptoms gone for several minutes/an hour or two/all day, then back to square one, all the above.
    Ran Malwarebytes scan which showed no problems.
    Ran full scan with Windows Defender, no problems found.
    Ran DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth from an elevated command prompt.
    Ran sfc /scannow from an elevated command prompt. No issues reported.

I was advised to do an in-place upgrade to resolve the above, but to make an image backup of the system disc first.
    I booted from an Acronis bootable CD, created an image, but Acronis hung part way through the verify.
    A second attempt hung part way through the image creation.

So, I'm assuming a hardware fault, motherboard/memory/SSD, but which. While it's OK, it's OK so no issue to find. When it's not OK, it's too late to probe further!

Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

mpeill, Mar 14, 2018

2. Computer stuck in reboot loop after BSOD error 'Critical Process Died'

My computer just started displaying the "Critical Process Died" BSOD. It is a HP Pavilion which previously ran Windows 7, but has been updated to Windows 10. It has been running fine, and just recently the desktop and taskbar started freezing up. I restarted
    it, but it stuck on the "Restarting" screen, and never restarted. I ended up doing a hard reboot. When I turned it on, the BSOD was being displayed, but the percentage never made any progress after hours of waiting. Any way to fix this?

Original title: Critical Process Died- BSOD

XenoCherry9, Mar 14, 2018
  3. Critical Process Died

Hey! I'm having a problem with booting windows 10. Whenever i start up the computer it says "Critical Process Died " and then reboots without progress. I've tried running it in safe mode without success. I really dont want to reset my computer since I
    have a lot of stuff on it. Does it have anything to do with my AMD stuff? Heard it is buggy in windows 10 with amd.

LoveMagnusson, Mar 14, 2018
  4. philc43 Win User

Try posting the log files from the beta08 log collector provided at the bottom of the BSOD Posting Instructions given above. These can provide a lot of information to help us advise you.

philc43, Mar 15, 2018
  5. mpeill Win User
    Thanks for that advice. I've attached the DM log report as requested.....

mpeill, Mar 15, 2018
  6. mpeill Win User
    Oops, sorry, I used the earlier log collector tool. This time attached here is the report from the beta08 version of the tool.

mpeill, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 runs ok then progressively dies - Similar Threads - runs progressively dies

2. Ok this is a BIOS flashing question, While the update is in progress and yeah ill explain...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ok this is a BIOS flashing question, While the update is in progress and yeah ill explain...: Ok, well I have a small mini next to me on my desk where my desktop and i am. I hook the mini to the tv above me with a hdmi. So it was just sitting there in sleep mode. Out of nowhere I hear it kicking on making odd noises since i didnt touch its keyboard etc to wake it. I...
  3. Ok this is a BIOS flashing question, While the update is in progress and yeah ill explain...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ok this is a BIOS flashing question, While the update is in progress and yeah ill explain...: Ok, well I have a small mini next to me on my desk where my desktop and i am. I hook the mini to the tv above me with a hdmi. So it was just sitting there in sleep mode. Out of nowhere I hear it kicking on making odd noises since i didnt touch its keyboard etc to wake it. I...
  4. Black Screen Issues while Windows 10 is running OK

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Black Screen Issues while Windows 10 is running OK: I have Acer Aspire Z5700 All-in-One computer which originally came with Windows 7 Version pre-installed.Since I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Home, every time I start the computer, my All-in-One monitor screen turns to Black Screen cannot see anything after about 5...
  5. Program runs OK in W10 Pro but not in Home

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Program runs OK in W10 Pro but not in Home: I created a few programs using gfortran in Windows 10 Pro, where they work well, but when I transferred the .exe files to my W10 Home laptop they all failed to start. I've tried a few ideas, such as compatibility with earlier Windows versions, but no success. Where should I...
  6. is it ok to run windows defender and malware bytes together?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    is it ok to run windows defender and malware bytes together?: is it ok to run windows defender and malware bytes together https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/malware-bytes/60257c57-7cf1-42ab-a5cc-a8419f7b7a1a"
  7. OK to Routinely Run Windows Repair Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    OK to Routinely Run Windows Repair Update?: I was considering performing a repair upgrade every few months, just to keep Windows in as good a shape as possible. Is there any problem, or downside, with doing that?...
  8. Windows 10 Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) Progress Report

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) Progress Report: In October 2017, I spoke with Microsoft’s Jeff Burtoft and Aaron Gustafson about the company’s plans to bring Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) to Windows 10. Since then, a lot has changed: Microsoft incorporated PWA support into the platform, as planned, allowing users to install...
  9. Will 64 bit win 10 pro run on this system ok

in Windows 10 Support
    Will 64 bit win 10 pro run on this system ok: Intel(r) core(Tm)2 cpu 6320 @ 1.86ghz 1.86ghz Ram 4.00 32 bit os but key I have supports 32/64 bit versions x64 based processor So will 64 bit run better for me than 32 51415
  10. Windows 10 dies

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 dies: When I turned the computer on this morning, it was flickering between white and black on the display. I am not sure what is causing this. But I guess it is Windows 10 rather than hardware. This could not have come at a more opportune time. So I am thinking about...