Windows 10: Windows 10 Saving files to D drive

Discus and support Windows 10 Saving files to D drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to set 1Tb HDD D:\ as location to save files insetad of on 256Gb SSD C:\ on new W.10 system. Using File Explorer and Properties Dialog Box... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by VES27, Feb 23, 2020.

1. VES27 Win User

Windows 10 Saving files to D drive

I'm trying to set 1Tb HDD D:\ as location to save files insetad of on 256Gb SSD C:\ on new W.10 system. Using File Explorer and Properties Dialog Box for relevant folders. Following instructions on redirecting 'Documents' to D drive I entered new location as 'D:\' rather than 'D:\Documents'. Three adverse results:

1 Where 'Documents' previously appeared above the C and D drive listings within 'This PC' now it just says 'D:\' between '3d Objects' and 'Desktop'. Looks messy How can I change it back to 'Documents'? and does it matter to functioning of Windows?

2 'Documents' has disappeared from C:\Users\Me[\Documents] and if I try to create a new subfolder 'Documents' it says such a file already exists even though not visible. Do I need to fix this?

3 I want to get the stored Documents data into a folder on the D drive rather than just on the D drive top level. When I try to do this I am told I can't move parent data into child folder.

I seem to have got the relocation of 'Pictures' done successfully, so it seems I just made this one slip when trying to move 'Documents' from the C drive to the D drive.

:)

VES27, Feb 23, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Feb 23, 2020
  3. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Feb 23, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Saving files to D drive

No permission to save to D:\ drive

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to get clarity on this issue and assist you with appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with the answers to the questions below.

• Have you mapped the libraries to the D: drive?
    • Is the issue specific to the subfolder in D: drive?

Try the below methods and check if this helps.

Method 1: Creating New File In D: Drive.

1. Go to D: drive > Right-click on an empty space in D: drive > Click on
      New > Click Text Document.
    2. Give a name to the Text Document and save it and check if you get the same error.

If you don't get any error while saving the file in D: drive and you get this error message only while saving a document in D:\charl\Documents, then follow
    Method 2 to take the ownership of Documents folder, else follow
    Method 3

Method 2: Taking Ownership Of A Particular Folder.

1. Click on Start Menu > Search for Command Prompt >
      Right-click on Command Prompt > Click on Run As Administrator.
    2. Once the Command Prompt is up and running, type the following commands and hit
      Enter after each command.

takeown /f <foldername> /r /d y

icacls <foldername> /grant administrators:F /T

Note: Replace foldername with the path of the folder.

3. Once the above commands are executed successfully,
    restart the computer once, and check if you are able to save the documents in that folder.

Method 3: Check If You Are The Administrator From Netplwiz.

1. Click on the Start menu > Search for Netplwiz > Hit
      Enter.
    2. Click on your user name and click on Properties.
    3. Go to Group Membership tab and choose Administrator > Click on
      Apply > OK.
    4. Once you change this setting, restart the computer once and check for the issue.

Method 3: Disabling Antivirus.

If you have installed any third-party security software, I suggest you to temporarily disable them, restart the computer once, and check for the issue.

Note: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other
    software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Give it a shot and let us know of any changes.

Hope it helps.

Shafeeq_Khan, Feb 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Saving files to D drive

1. Windows 10 Saving files to D drive - Similar Threads - Saving files drive

2. Saving default data to a new D drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Saving default data to a new D drive: I recently installed a new M.2 nvme ssd as D drive, and I will retain OS as E drive for Windows 11What's the difference between Changing where new content is saved in System Storage Setting vs Moving Folder Location in file explorer by right click on folder in C drive and...
  3. Saving default data to a new D drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Saving default data to a new D drive: I recently installed a new M.2 nvme ssd as D drive, and I will retain OS as E drive for Windows 11What's the difference between Changing where new content is saved in System Storage Setting vs Moving Folder Location in file explorer by right click on folder in C drive and...
  4. Can't Save Excel To D Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't Save Excel To D Drive: Can't save Excel to D drive The message appear when I want to save as to D drive "You are attempting to save a file type word 2007 and later Documents and Templates that is blocked by your file block settings in the Trust Centre"Context this PC is Pre-built MSI with HDD and...
  5. Can't Save Excel To D Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't Save Excel To D Drive: Can't save Excel to D drive The message appear when I want to save as to D drive "You are attempting to save a file type word 2007 and later Documents and Templates that is blocked by your file block settings in the Trust Centre"Context this PC is Pre-built MSI with HDD and...
  6. Windows files on D drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows files on D drive: Hello, As the title says I have some random windows files on the D drive that I don't know if I should delete or move (if so where to?). It happened one day when my C drive was out of space and widnows decided to put the update on D. I tried looking for answers but nothing....
  7. Windows 10: Everything saving on D drive.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10: Everything saving on D drive.: Just bought my first computer with Windows 10. Everything is saving to the "D" drive: Desktop-Documents-Downloads ... Have seen advice here that very little should be saved on the D drive. What should I do? Also about half of the Desktop files that I had transferred from the...
  8. No permission to save to D:\ drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No permission to save to D:\ drive: I know this question has been asked before, but none of those answers have been able to help me. I have a C:\ drive and a D:\ drive on my computer. For some reason, my computer decided that the much smaller C:\ drive would be the better option to save things to. Now my C:\ is...
  9. Cannot save to D Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot save to D Drive: I installed a clean install of Windows 10 onto my C Drive keeping my D Drive with my files. Now I cannot save to my D Drive even though I have given myself permission to allow all on my D Drive. Can anybody help please? TIA 90802
  10. cant save anything on D: drive

in Windows 10 Support
    cant save anything on D: drive: I have my C: drive as an SSD and it holds all the operating system, however everything else has saved there too, i have a 1tb hard drive as well under D: drive but I cant move anything to it, it simply asks me to make shortcuts, so things like music and videos are taking up a...