Windows 10: Windows 10 saying speakers "Not Plugged In"

Discus and support Windows 10 saying speakers "Not Plugged In" in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, I upgraded to Windows 10 fairly recently. Shortly after that I bought a GTX 1070 and put it in my machine. I also swapped one of my monitors... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Citizen Krang, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Windows 10 saying speakers "Not Plugged In"

Hello, I upgraded to Windows 10 fairly recently. Shortly after that I bought a GTX 1070 and put it in my machine. I also swapped one of my monitors from DVI to HDMI with the switch. As soon as I turned on my PC I had all sorts of system crashes and my speakers stopped working, always coming up as "Not Plugged In" even though they were. I finally had to reinstall Windows 10 and that has solved every issue except the speakers. Windows continues to tell me that they are not plugged in when they are. They are analog and I plug them into the correct lime green port. I plugged them into my phone and they worked fine. Windows has no problems detecting my USB headset as well.

I have tried:
    • Multiple driver updates, rollbacks, uninstalls, reinstalls
    • Messed with every setting I could in the Realtek HD Audio Manager
    • Plugged speakers into both audio jacks on my machine
    • Double-checking that everything was plugged in properly for it on the motherboard

I am just out of ideas at this point. Any help would be appreciated. At this point I'm wondering if the motherboard's sound card just broke or that the HDMI cable screwed it up.

:)

Citizen Krang, Aug 2, 2016
  2. jimjames3 Win User

window 10. after running FRESH START . I have no audio

WINDOW 10. AFTER RUNNING "FRESH START " I GET a message saying NO SPEAKERS OR HEADPHONES ARE PLUGGED IN.

jimjames3, Aug 2, 2016
  3. External speakers not working after updating to Windows 10

albertraymond644, Aug 2, 2016
  4. aardvark Win User

Windows 10 saying speakers "Not Plugged In"

Since HDMI can carry video and audio, maybe you need to disable high definition audio to route the sound back to your analog speakers? I meant to say HDMI audio....

aardvark, Aug 2, 2016
  5. aardvark Win User
    How Do I Enable or Disable HDMI Audio in Windows If I Am Using an HDMI Connection Between My Nvidia Video Card or Motherboard and My Monitor?
    Answer / Solution
    Windows 10 saying speakers "Not Plugged In" [​IMG]
    The latest Nvidia GeForce drivers allow you to enable or disable HDMI Audio through the Nvidia Control Panel. You may want to use this for several reasons. First, this option will allow you to use headphones or speakers connected to either the onboard audio panel or your front panel, even though you are using the SPDIF pass-through audio connector, by simply turning the HDMI audio to disabled. Likewise, you can switch back to the SPDIF pass-through when finished with your headphones or speakers by switching the HDMI audio to enabled. Second, this option is available for each monitor or TV you have attached, so you can enable or disable the HDMI Audio to each monitor or TV you are using. Third, this will help solve conflicts between using a onboard sound and HDMI pass-through audio. Finally, this option is located in a very convenient location to quickly change settings to suit your audio needs.
    To use this option,

• Ensure that you are using a video card or motherboard with an onboard video that supports the use of an HDMI. For a list of EVGA video cards and motherboard onboard video controllers that support HDMI, please see: EVGA FAQ Help Center

• Begin with your system off. Detach all monitors and TV's from the video card or the onboard video controller.

• If you do not wish to use the SPDIF to HDMI pass-through, then skip this step. If you do wish to use the SPDIF - HDMI pass-through, then please see this FAQ for instructions on installing the SPDIF cables to your motherboard: EVGA FAQ Help Center

• Depending on your video card or onboard video controller, locate either the direct HDMI outlet or a supported DVI to HDMI adapter. If using the DVI to HDMI adapter, carefully attach the adapter to the video card, and hand-tighten the screws to secure the adapter.

• After locating the adapter-type, plug in an HDMI cable to the graphics card or the onboard video controller, then plug in the other end of the cable to an HDMI-compliant monitor or TV. Ensure that the only monitor or TV attached to the video card is the one using the HDMI cable.

• Turn the computer on, and watch to see if the monitor or TV displays picture. If not, check to make sure that the cable connections are secure and that the monitor or TV is set to the proper signal - HDMI.

• After booting into Windows, download the latest drivers for your graphics card(s) or your onboard video controller.

• Upon completing the driver installation, Windows may ask you to reboot. If it does, follow the prompt and reboot.
    • In the Windows Sound settings, make sure your TV or monitor is selected as the Primary Output Device and has a green checkmark on the icon, then either start a new audio file or restart your currently playing audio file to verify your sound is working.

aardvark, Aug 2, 2016
  6. I appreciate the help but this didn't seem to help. All it appeared to have me do was verify that HDMI was installed properly? I went into the Nvidia control panel as well to ensure audio over HDMI was off. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding something in the instructions.

Citizen Krang, Aug 2, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Did you try this ?

Windows 10 saying speakers "Not Plugged In" [​IMG]

CountMike, Aug 2, 2016
  8. aardvark Win User

If Count Mike's suggestion doesn't work then an easy solution would be for you to go back to a DVI connection. You'll get the same quality minus the headache that the HDMI switch-over has caused you.

aardvark, Aug 2, 2016
  9. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 saying speakers "Not Plugged In" - Similar Threads - saying speakers Plugged

2. how to fix no audio? says 'no speakers or headphone r plugged in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to fix no audio? says 'no speakers or headphone r plugged in: i recently downgraded my laptop to windows 10 because i dislike 11 and it began having problems,the main issue is my audio,whenever i try to click on it it takes me to a help desk and theres a little red x on it i looked thru many youtube tutorials and have had no good...
  3. how to fix no audio? says 'no speakers or headphone r plugged in

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to fix no audio? says 'no speakers or headphone r plugged in: i recently downgraded my laptop to windows 10 because i dislike 11 and it began having problems,the main issue is my audio,whenever i try to click on it it takes me to a help desk and theres a little red x on it i looked thru many youtube tutorials and have had no good...
  4. Speaker says not plugged in after resetting windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Speaker says not plugged in after resetting windows: Before i reset my pc it was still available but after i reset my pc it says that its not plugged in and i cant seem find a way to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-says-not-plugged-in-after-resetting/684d17fb-a368-4fbe-8ae2-586db288ec55
  5. Speaker says not plugged in after resetting windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Speaker says not plugged in after resetting windows: Before i reset my pc it was still available but after i reset my pc it says that its not plugged in and i cant seem find a way to fix it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-says-not-plugged-in-after-resetting/684d17fb-a368-4fbe-8ae2-586db288ec55
  6. Speaker says not plugged in after resetting windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. No speakers or headphones are plugged in Windows 10

No speakers or headphones are plugged in Windows 10: Hello, bit of a noob but my laptop (HP probook 450 G3) is no longer allowing me to play sound through my headphones. The headphones do work (tried on a different PC) and the same problem occurred on my laptop with different headphones. I have tried going to Device manager...
  8. Windows10 says speakers not plugged in but they are and used to work

Windows10 says speakers not plugged in but they are and used to work: Windows 10 says my speakers are not plugged in but they are and they are working. Last time I used them was about 2 weeks ago. What do I have to do to get Windows 10 to recognize the speakers?...
  9. Speakers are plugged in and working but no sound. Windows 10

Speakers are plugged in and working but no sound. Windows 10: My speakers are plugged in its working fine when i plug it in my phone but when i plug it in my computer i dont hear anything theres this icon [ATTACH] when i hovee over it says theres nothing plugged in but my speakers are plugged in never mind i think i fixed it...
  10. Windows 10 'Speaker not plugged in' problem

Windows 10 'Speaker not plugged in' problem: Hi, ever since I purchased a new computer this summer I have had the problem with using my speakers, my HDMI and headphone(Corsair Gaming H2100 Headset) sound is working flawlessly. When I bought it it had Windows 8 installed and I had the exact same problem then. I have both...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. speaker connected bluetooth saying not plugged in

2. win 10 update no saying speakers not plugged in

3. windows 10 keeps saying headphones are not plugged int