Windows 10: Windows 10 says "hello" to finger scan, but doesn't actually log me in (similar post,...

Discus and support Windows 10 says "hello" to finger scan, but doesn't actually log me in (similar post,... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Running Windows 10 Home Version 1803 on a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260 When I attempt to login with my fingerprint windows hello recognizes me but does... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by sfaquaguy, Aug 23, 2018.

1. sfaquaguy Win User

Windows 10 says "hello" to finger scan, but doesn't actually log me in (similar post,...

Running Windows 10 Home Version 1803 on a Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260

When I attempt to login with my fingerprint windows hello recognizes me but does not log me in. I am told the PIN is not available.

This is a local account (one of the previously proposed solutions)

Tried both rolling back, and updating, drivers with no success.

Tried resetting pin etc.

(ie nothing suggested here works for me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/unable-to-reset-eas-security-policy-windows-10/5d27247f-3767-4f49-b29b-aedabde02726 )

Possibly related to security policies installed inappropriately by my school IT group. (Acknowledged by them.) Have run through several attempts/techniques to attempt to clear these policies both with school's IT group and independently with no success.

(Including but not necessarily limited to:
    https://superuser.com/questions/379908/how-to-clear-or-remove-domain-applied-group-policy-settings-after-leaving-the-do
    https://www.top-password.com/blog/reset-local-security-policy-to-default-in-windows/
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b39a7422-18fc-41ed-91ea-3ebf395d8ac5/unable-to-remove-windows-10-security-policies-applied-by-my-company )

Any other suggestions as to the root cause of this issue and/or troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated.

:)

sfaquaguy, Aug 23, 2018

2. Windows 10 says "hello" to finger scan, but doesn't actually log me in

Hi,

During the insider program preview for 10, I had my fingerprint scanner successfully logging me into Windows. At some point (dont know which build) it stopped logging me in to windows. It does however actually say 'Hello <my name>' on the login screen'
    but still prompts for a password.

Additionally, I cannot use a PIN to login, despite having that configured. So basically, the only way to log into windows is via my Microsoft Account password and it won't give me a way to use a fingerprint or PIN.

I've removed and re-added the PIN and fingerprint, and no change.

HeWhoRoams2, Aug 23, 2018
  3. Windows 10 says "hello" to finger scan, but doesn't actually log me in

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when thingsd ont work the way it should.

Usually these issues are caused by driver incompatibility, so there are few things that you can do:

Method 1:Roll back drivers / use default drivers
    • Open Device Manager and find your fingerprint scanner driver.
    • Choose Rollback driver.
    This will install the previously installed driver instead the one you’re currently using. Sometimes it’s better to use the default driver that comes with Windows 10, and to go back to the default drivers do the following:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Find your fingerprint scanner driver.
    • Right click it and choose Uninstall.
    • Check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.
    Method 2:Update your drivers
    Often it’s better to use the latest driver optimized for Windows 10, so make sure that you visit your fingerprint scanner manufacturer and check for latest Windows 10 drivers. If there are no Windows 10 drivers you can just download the latest drivers instead.
    It’s also worth mentioning that in certain cases older drivers can actually work better than the latest ones, so you might try some older drivers as well.

Method 3: Switch to local account / create a new account

The last thing we’re going to try is switching to local account, and if this still doesn’t help, you may even create a new Windows Account. Here’s how to switch to local account, if you’re not sure:

• Go to Settings and click on Account icon.
    • In your account click Sign in with a local account instead.
    • You’ll be asked to enter current password.
    • Set your user name, password for you local account.
    • Press Next and then Sign out and finish.
    In addition, you can try creating a new account and setting up fingerprint scanner for it. After that just delete the new account and switch back to old one

Hope this information is helpful. Please post in case you have any further issues, I will be glad to help you help you further.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Aug 23, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 says "hello" to finger scan, but doesn't actually log me in (similar post,...

Windows 10 doesn`t log in after update

Hi,

You may need to reset your password for you to access your account again. To assist you better, we'd like to gather more information:

• Which build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    • Are you trying to log in to your Microsoft Account or to your Windows 10 local account?
    • Have you tried resetting your password?

Meanwhile, you're trying to log in to your Microsoft Account, we suggest that you follow the steps in this

forum article
    shared by PaulSey on how to reset your password and recover your Microsoft Account.

If you're trying to log in to your Windows 10 local account, we suggest that you perform the instructions in this

article
    on how you can reset your Windows 10 local account.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Aug 23, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 says "hello" to finger scan, but doesn't actually log me in (similar post,... - Similar Threads - says hello finger

2. windows hello finger print doesn't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows hello finger print doesn't work: Hello i'm having a problem with my windows hello. I can't set up finger print protection. when i click on set up button for finger print, and the get started button, it keeps loading and loading and if i move my pointer, it cancels the process :Have you any same...
  3. windows hello finger print doesn't work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows hello finger print doesn't work: Hello i'm having a problem with my windows hello. I can't set up finger print protection. when i click on set up button for finger print, and the get started button, it keeps loading and loading and if i move my pointer, it cancels the process :Have you any same...
  4. why my finger print scan is not working? what is windows hello?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why my finger print scan is not working? what is windows hello?: What is Windows hello and why my finger scan is not working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-finger-print-scan-is-not-working-what-is/d5a04e80-b807-4d41-bd48-a5c43912b1b9
  5. why my finger print scan is not working? what is windows hello?

why my finger print scan is not working? what is windows hello?: What is Windows hello and why my finger scan is not working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-my-finger-print-scan-is-not-working-what-is/d5a04e80-b807-4d41-bd48-a5c43912b1b9
  6. four finger gesture similar to mac

in Windows 10 Gaming
    four finger gesture similar to mac: I had a Mac before switching to windows recently and every is going great. One thing that keeps bugging me is the four finger swipe gesture to change desktops WHEN a second monitor is connected.Previously, depending on where my mouse was laptop or external monitor when I...
  7. four finger gesture similar to mac

four finger gesture similar to mac: I had a Mac before switching to windows recently and every is going great. One thing that keeps bugging me is the four finger swipe gesture to change desktops WHEN a second monitor is connected.Previously, depending on where my mouse was laptop or external monitor when I...
  8. windows hello doesn't work with me

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    windows hello doesn't work with me: As I side windows hello doesn't work with me while last update for windows is installed, and Kaspersky security is stopped by me to make sure its not the problem. actually it's was working two week from buying the laptop but not after that. last thing when I trying to login...
  9. can't activate windows hello and finger scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    can't activate windows hello and finger scan: I have a ThinkPad laptop model T460 from Lenovo. I have the hardware for finger scan but can't enable it. Can you help? Also can I use iris scan to log to my account? If yes, how?...
  10. Say 'Hello' to Windows Hello on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Say 'Hello' to Windows Hello on Windows 10: With our Windows 10 launch fast approaching we’re excited for you to say “Hello” to Windows Hello. You may remember we introduced you to Windows Hello back in March. Windows Hello is biometric authentication that provides you instant access to your Windows 10 devices*. Simply...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when i scan fingerprint windows says you need to use pin?