Windows 10: Windows 10 says my license key is invalid after a hardware upgrade

Discus and support Windows 10 says my license key is invalid after a hardware upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I upgraded my motherboard cpu and ram succesfully, but now my windows 10 is unable to activate and tells me that my key isn't genuine even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by DaveZrour1, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Windows 10 says my license key is invalid after a hardware upgrade

Hello, I upgraded my motherboard cpu and ram succesfully, but now my windows 10 is unable to activate and tells me that my key isn't genuine even though it has worked for the last 4 years now, I have Windows 10 pro form the free upgrade period and never had any porblems before, the problem solving tool doesn't help me and the reactivate menu gives me error code 0x803fa067 which I can't find anything about online. I would love to have my windows enabled again as soon as possible.

Dave.

:)

DaveZrour1, Aug 4, 2019
  2. krimetal Win User

Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Aug 4, 2019
  3. trparky Win User
    Potential upgrade to AMD Ryzen

There are two types of Windows licenses...
    • Retail
    • OEM
    Retail licenses of Windows can be legally transferred between hardware because it's a retail license. Upgrade licenses if it was an upgrade from a retail license maintains the same license freedoms that the original license held, Windows 10 upgrade licenses are the only exception to that rule. OEM licenses however cannot be transferred from hardware to hardware. Upgrades from OEM licenses of course have the same restrictions that the original OEM license had.

However, right now Microsoft is still accepting old licenses of Windows as an upgrade to Windows 10. All you have to do is type in your old key and it will accept it. Why Microsoft is still allowing this I have no idea but my thoughts are is that Windows 10 adoption numbers are so damn low that they need all the help they can get. *Laugh :laugh:

trparky, Aug 4, 2019
  4. P4-630 Win User

Windows 10 says my license key is invalid after a hardware upgrade

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

Click to expand... Yeah I went to that site, why do I need to buy a key?
    I won't buy a key, stupid.

I'll revert back to windows 7 then.

When I still was on windows 7, about a year ago I added 4GB extra ram which is a total of 8GB now,
    is that causing the problem?

P4-630, Aug 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 says my license key is invalid after a hardware upgrade

1. Windows 10 says my license key is invalid after a hardware upgrade - Similar Threads - says license key

2. My product key was invalid after major hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My product key was invalid after major hardware change: I just change my motherboard, so that means I have to reinstall Windows 10. Currently I'm using the education version from my university, after I tried putting the product key it gave me an error, I have attached the screenshot for the error window. After failed, I tried...
  3. My product key was invalid after major hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My product key was invalid after major hardware change: I just change my motherboard, so that means I have to reinstall Windows 10. Currently I'm using the education version from my university, after I tried putting the product key it gave me an error, I have attached the screenshot for the error window. After failed, I tried...
  4. My product key was invalid after major hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows installation failed; after reinstalling, the license key is invalid

Windows installation failed; after reinstalling, the license key is invalid: Yesterday I bought a new copy of Windows 10 Home and did a clean install installed it on an older hard drive. It activated as usual, but the hard drive failed when I restarted the computer and I had to install it a second time on a different hard drive. When I went to...
  6. Windows 10 license invalid after update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 license invalid after update: Several years ago, I took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 on my wife's laptop. For the most part, it's been working fine until a couple of days ago. Windows is now saying that the license key I have is invalid. There was never a product key e-mailed to...
  7. After hardware upgrade can't transfer windows 10 license. Not an OEM key.

After hardware upgrade can't transfer windows 10 license. Not an OEM key.: Hi I upgraded a desktop I built a few years ago with a new mainboard/processor and ram. Its been running windows 10 pro for years, I don't remember where I bought the key from. Possibly Newegg, TigerDirect, Fry's, BestBuy ect ect. I thought the upgrade would be simple as I...
  8. Windows 10 says invalid product key after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 says invalid product key after upgrading to Windows 10 Pro: I'll start by saying that last year I decided to factory reset my laptop without saving a complete backup. I just put the files I wanted on a USB drive and then wiped the computer. I then had to borrow a friends recovery USB stick to get Windows to install properly. I...
  9. windows says product key is invalid

windows says product key is invalid: I put a new hard drive in a win7 computer and used a jump drive copy of win10... I knew I'd need a new product key (I don't even know what the win7 key was). I bought a key from my wife's college (cuz it was free with her edu email).. Now windows says it's an invalid...
  10. Windows 10 Pro Free Upgrade saying license is invalid after updating to version 1803

Windows 10 Pro Free Upgrade saying license is invalid after updating to version 1803: Hi, I have just run across a problem that I can't seem to find any solutions to on the web. I have recently upgraded several computers that were upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro back when the free upgrade was available. Nothing has changed on any of these...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my windows key is invalid