Windows 10: Windows 10 says that documents folder is a .sys file

Discus and support Windows 10 says that documents folder is a .sys file in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi I have two HDD drives - C (main drive) and D (storage) Drive C has windows 10 installed (upgrade from 7 today) and seems to be running OK... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by 3billy3, Feb 7, 2016.

1. 3billy3 Win User

Windows 10 says that documents folder is a .sys file

Hi

I have two HDD drives - C (main drive) and D (storage)
    Drive C has windows 10 installed (upgrade from 7 today) and seems to be running OK

Prior to the Windows 10 install I had problems accessing the D drive drive so I booted from a Linux Mint disc in order to access my stuff on D, all went well and I created two folders with my stuff in them ready to access once I had upgraded to Windows 10.

Installed Windows 10 on C drive, all working great, I can see both HDD, I can see and access both drives, I can access one folder on the D drive and see all my files inside but i can't access the other folder on the D drive named "documents" Windows 10 says it's a system (.sys file) and asks for an app to open it.

Have I lost all my stuff in that folder or does anyone have any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA

:)

3billy3, Feb 7, 2016

2. WINDOWS 10 UPDATE VERSION 1511, 10586 WILL NOT CONTINUE TO INSTALL.......

SYSTEM LOG WINDOWS 10 ROCHELLE (file://ROCHELLE/Users/Richard/OneDrive/ONLINE%20DOCUMENTS/Documents/SYSTEM%20LOG%20WINDOWS%2010%20ROCHELLE)

SYS EVENT LOG WINDOWS ROCHELLE (file://ROCHELLE/Users/Richard/OneDrive/ONLINE%20DOCUMENTS/Documents/SYS%20EVENT%20LOG%20WINDOWS%20ROCHELLE)

RichardPickernell, Feb 7, 2016
  3. Driver Verifier Help

It says product not detected, although i found those two .sys files in the windows/drivers folder if that helps?

Thanks,

Harry

HarryTeague, Feb 7, 2016
  4. lx07 Win User

Can you right click on this Documents, select properties and post a picture of the General tab and what is shown on advanced button of the security tab.(Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Ten Forums - Windows 10 Forums).

They should look something like this:

Windows 10 says that documents folder is a .sys file [​IMG]

.sys files are (mostly) drivers and this object can't be both a folder and a file - it must be one or the other.

It would be good to see if it is a folder you aren't authorized to or something else.

lx07, Feb 7, 2016
  5. 3billy3 Win User
    Thanks for the reply. Screenshots as requested

3billy3, Feb 7, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Sounds like the System attribute may be set for the folder.
    Open a Elevated Command Prompt then enter attrib d:\Documents.
    If the S attribute is set, enter attrib -s D:\Documents. See if that fixes it.

Ztruker, Feb 7, 2016
  7. 3billy3 Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion Ztrucker, there was an S attribute set and I have done as you suggested.

Now, in explorer the Documents folder shows as a "file"???

3billy3, Feb 7, 2016
  8. OldMike65 Win User

Question why is your Documents folder on your D drive.....and it is also listed on your C drive.....can you access your doc folder on your C drive without any problems?

OldMike65, Feb 7, 2016
  9. 3billy3 Win User
    The Documents folder on the D drive is just a folder that I created (before installing Windows 10) with a load of docs, photos etc in.
    The Documents folder on C is the usual Windows documents folder that's installed with Windows

3billy3, Feb 7, 2016
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Can you access D:\documents from Linux or does it show as a file there as well?

Ztruker, Feb 7, 2016
  11. OldMike65 Win User
    Well according to your last screen shot....it kinda looks empty...1kb <-- ??

Even on your screen shot on msg #3 says size on disk 0 bytes.

OldMike65, Feb 7, 2016
  12. 3billy3 Win User
    From Linux it shows as a shortcut that doesn't exist - I have to say that it looks like it really doesn't exist!
    But it is strange that the folder and files were there before I switched to Windows 10

3billy3, Feb 7, 2016
  13. OldMike65 Win User

If you made a image backup 1st, or before you upgraded, you will still have all those files. I have always made image backups before making any changes, or upgrades. Wish more people would do this, as it would save them a lot of problems.

OldMike65, Feb 7, 2016
  14. lx07 Win User
    You could have a look in C:\Windows.old directory if you have one.

I can't really imagine it would have moved things there but it is worth a look.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 says that documents folder is a .sys file - Similar Threads - says documents folder

2. There is no files are showing in document folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is no files are showing in document folder: After an undate files are not showing in document folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-no-files-are-showing-in-document-folder/df2a9a71-108b-46ca-ae60-89e022bed490
  3. There is no files are showing in document folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There is no files are showing in document folder: After an undate files are not showing in document folder. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/there-is-no-files-are-showing-in-document-folder/df2a9a71-108b-46ca-ae60-89e022bed490
  4. Files in Document Folder moving

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in Document Folder moving: Files in Document Folder move up and down, making it difficult to click on a file. Sometimes scrolling down in Document Folder the cursor will jump to the top. This does not happen in other folders, such as the Download Folder....
  5. Files in Document Folder moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files in Document Folder moving: Files in Document Folder move up and down, making it difficult to click on a file. Sometimes scrolling down in Document Folder the cursor will jump to the top. This does not happen in other folders, such as the Download Folder....
  6. Problems with Files in Documents Folder

Problems with Files in Documents Folder: I have noticed that in my Documents folder some of the files have an "X" over the icon. This may be indicating some files that I have not opened in a while or that are older. I attempted to open a Word document with the "X" and I am not allowed to open it.Is this a feature of...
  7. Problems with Files in Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with Files in Documents Folder: I have noticed that in my Documents folder some of the files have an "X" over the icon. This may be indicating some files that I have not opened in a while or that are older. I attempted to open a Word document with the "X" and I am not allowed to open it.Is this a feature of...
  8. Deleting files and folders in Documents folder.

Deleting files and folders in Documents folder.: Why I cant delete folders and files in my documents folder also on some folders like videos and pictures. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/deleting-files-and-folders-in-documents-folder/65b04852-3916-4099-b1ac-585106682994
  9. copy file to DOCUMENT folder

copy file to DOCUMENT folder: My issues began with win 10 build 1090 and more so with 2004. Preface: from the time I purchased my computer, 4 years ago, I redirected my document and downloads to separate subdirectories on my L: removeable hard drive. Until I updated to 1090/2004 there were no issues....
  10. Windows 10 All Files in Documents Folder Disappeared

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 All Files in Documents Folder Disappeared: Hi, I have used Windows 8 for a while and I recently updated it to Windows 10. After installing Windows 10, I downloaded a lot of files as well as played a lot of games without logging in to my Microsoft account. I only recently logged into my Microsoft account and after I...