Windows 10: Windows 10 screen flicker on dark screens

Discus and support Windows 10 screen flicker on dark screens in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Specs: Dell XPS 13 9380 Laptop Processor: Intel Core i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz Ram: 16.0 GB System type: 64-bit operating System, x64-based... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by SeaOmnivore993, Dec 12, 2019.

1. Windows 10 screen flicker on dark screens

Specs:

Dell XPS 13 9380 Laptop

Processor: Intel Core i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz

Ram: 16.0 GB

System type: 64-bit operating System, x64-based processor

OS specs:

Windows 10 Home

Version: 1903

ISSUE: Screen will change color/brightness, not exactly flicker.

The issue has occurred to me in two (maybe three) environments:

1) Atom text editor:

environment: program is in dark mode, latest version as of 12/12/2019

ISSUE: when I highlight a single line, nothing happens, when I highlight 1 or more lines, the entire screen gets brighter. this is not to necessarily say the brightness is increased, according to my computer it has not. However the dark grey of the entire background becomes a much lighter gray, and all other colors on the screen have the same effect. It stays this way until I make an action that causes the highlighted lines to stop being highlighted.

The same thing happens if I have a long file of text, and i scroll through it. Depending on how much text is on the screen, the entire screen again becomes a much lighter color. If I scroll through a file quickly, it will alternate between the two, causing the a "flickering" effect.

Opening menus on the top toolbar again has the same effect.

2) Eclipse IDE for Java

environment: eclipse ide in dark mode, latest version as of 12/12/2019

ISSUE: exactly the same as for Atom text editor

3) Alt+tab from a dark screen to a lighter screen

Environment: start in a dark screen of any application (EXs: a dark video in youtube, full screen; a dark video in Windows Movies & TV media player; aforementioned Atom or eclipse, etc.) Now Alt+Tab to a light colored screen (EX google chrome on a white homescreen, or a Microsoft Word document).

ISSUE: for a short amount of time, maybe 1-2 seconds, the entire screen is very flushed bright.

EX This means that, if I were to, for example switch to a Microsoft word document, the "black" text would appear momentarily very light grey and, along with the menus looking much "lighter". These adjust to the normal colors after 1-2 seconds.

Steps I have taken:

1) I have tried to take a screen recording of the issue happening by using windows built-in Xbox Game Bar. The result is that, despite the issue happening in real life on my end, the videos all come out with the "natural" color of the screen. This is to say that, for the alt+tab example, the recording does not show the flushed text, it immediate shows it as though it were black. In the Text editor examples, the screen is always the original darker color in recordings, never the much lighter shades that the screen turns.

The same holds true for static screenshots taken on the device, they are always the "natural" color of the application.

2) I have tried looking through all display settings in Windows in case this is for some reason a default "feature" labeled as "smooth lighting" or anything like that but no luck.

3) I have tried googling the issue

4) I have tried uninstalling and re-installing programs.

5) I have tried a full factory reset on my device.

None of these 5 things have fixed the issue. Please give me a hand with this, it is beyond irritating. If there is anything I can test or any more information I can give please let me know.

:)

SeaOmnivore993, Dec 12, 2019

2. Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

I haven't made any changes on my device. This screen flickering is only happening in Safe Mode.

AdhipBanerjee, Dec 12, 2019
  3. Arjay Dom Win User
    Screen flickering in Windows 10 safe mode

Hi Adhio,

Screen flickering can be caused by hardware or application issue.

To better assist you, please answer the following questions:

• Is the issue only happening in Safe Mode?
    • Have you made any changes on your device prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest following the troubleshooting steps on this article:

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10
    to resolve screen flickering issues on Windows 10.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Arjay Dom, Dec 12, 2019
  4. Windows 10 screen flicker on dark screens

Screen flickering in safe mode help!

Hi Yasmeentq,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your query. I suggest you to follow the steps to get out of safe mode.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type msconfig

• In msconfig > Boot tab >
      Boot Options > uncheck Safe Boot > APPLY / OK.

Screen flickering in Windows 10 is usually caused by incompatible apps or display drivers. I suggest you to refer to the article below and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/troubleshoot-screen-flickering

Regards.

SujataMoktan, Dec 12, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 screen flicker on dark screens

1. Windows 10 screen flicker on dark screens - Similar Threads - screen flicker dark

2. Windows 10 screen flicker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 screen flicker: I have a Windows 10 PC and it started flickering every 1 second once logged into the user. The background and taskbar flicker and by using ctrlshiftesc I got task manager up it does not flicker however evey time it flickers it will wrest control from me and thus I cannot type...
  3. Windows 10 screen flicker

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 screen flicker: I have a Windows 10 PC and it started flickering every 1 second once logged into the user. The background and taskbar flicker and by using ctrlshiftesc I got task manager up it does not flicker however evey time it flickers it will wrest control from me and thus I cannot type...
  4. Windows 10 Screen Flicker

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Screen Flicker: Every so often usually once a minute my entire display dims darker for about 2 seconds then goes back to normal, It also does it in the task manager.I have fully uninstalled the display drivers and reinstalled, I have checked my power plan settings and ran a troubleshooter...
  5. Windows 10 Screen flickering

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Screen flickering: I recently updated to Windows 10 20H2 update. Since then when I try and login I get a flickering screen. If I restart the computer, then the screen is stable, but then after the screen goes to sleep, if I try and login again, I get the same black flickering screen. I have...
  6. Screen flickering in windows 10

Screen flickering in windows 10: My device is msi gf63. I started having screen flickering issues when i was updating the Nvdia graphics driver via the geforce experience app. I hadn't finished the update. The problem started while i was in the middle of the process. The display starts flickering once i boot...
  7. Flickering Screen Windows 10

Flickering Screen Windows 10: The screen on my PC is flickering intermittently. I've tried most of the suggested solutions online, to no avail. One suggestion I was unable to complete was to start my PC in safe mode. I was asked for a Bitlocker Discovery Key which I found on the Microsoft website, however...
  8. windows 10 screen flicker

windows 10 screen flicker: horizontal screen flicker when watching Netflix, Hulu or working on word document. it does not happen all the time but when it does its quick. I jus updated to new may 2020 update but this was happening before that. I have tried updating my drivers and that did not help. My...
  9. Screen flickers in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Screen flickers in Windows 10: I started my laptop and waited for the password login screen to come up, but instead it just glitches back to the lock screen, so I am unable to unlock my laptop and use it. help me please. I uploaded a video to show you exactely what is happening....
  10. screen flickering in windows 10

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    screen flickering in windows 10: how to solve screen flickering issue in window 10 *Sad 47763