Windows 10: Windows 10 screen freezes, along with mouse and keyboard, requiring hard reset or power down.

Discus and support Windows 10 screen freezes, along with mouse and keyboard, requiring hard reset or power down. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1803) Greetings. A much-discussed topic and an issue from which I also suffer, and have not yet found the right answer to.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MarkDurston, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Windows 10 screen freezes, along with mouse and keyboard, requiring hard reset or power down.

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (1803)

Greetings.

A much-discussed topic and an issue from which I also suffer, and have not yet found the right answer to.

As long as I am working, and there is mouse and/or keyboard activity, everything is 100% stable and functional and I can continue working indefinitely. If I allow the machine to stand idle for some minutes (usually under 5), with no programs running, I get a total freeze, with unresponsive mouse and keyboard.

If something is running (e.g. a Windows Update or WinDefender scan) the freeze still happens, but takes longer. I've tried leaving it running like this, but with a Task Manager window open, and noticed that the freeze is almost always preceded by a spike in CPU and HDD activity.

My drivers and BIOS are all of the latest available versions.

I have run the DISM and SFC utilities and no issues are reported.

I have changed Startup configuration to exclude all but Windows/Microsoft items - this does not eliminate the issue.

I've run Windows CheckDisc, as well as the drive manufacturer's checking utility.

I've run MemTest86 - pass with no issues.

I've tried changing settings in the Power Management profile - seems to have no effect. I have noticed that on occasion, the HDD idle time threshold setting seems to change by itself without me doing anything. Almost as if something is corrupt in the Power Management profile.

My own logic is leading me away from a failing hardware explanation.

I am noticing quite a number of DistributedCOM 10016 errors in the Event Log, which may or may not be related - I don't know much about events.

I was hoping to find a logical explanation and solution, without doing a Windows reset.

Grateful for input from anyone who has faced and solved this issue.

:)

MarkDurston, Dec 12, 2018

2. windows 10 freezes at startup screen, cannot use keyboard or mouse

windows 10 freezes at startup screen, cannot use keyboard or mouse, can't log in , if I get that far with the keyboard, need to use the virtual keyboard...have rebooted by resetting the power button on the tower (will this do any harm to the computer??),
    has been happening since yesterday. Previously was working fine. Computer is only 2 months old, but I used my old keyboard and mouse.

JewelleeGibbs, Dec 12, 2018
  3. Vykis Win User
    Windows freezes that require hard reset

Thank you for reply I got BSOD this morning when booting ant this is what your suggested program shows. All I found on google is that hal.dll is connected to windows xp or boot.ini so that makes no sense, I suppose this file is corrupted so should I change it manually by getting dll from internet or there is another way to fix it? also ntosknl.exe so it point to my RAM?

Windows 10 screen freezes, along with mouse and keyboard, requiring hard reset or power down. [​IMG]

Vykis, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Windows 10 screen freezes, along with mouse and keyboard, requiring hard reset or power down.

Computer and mouse freeze

Hi

There are several reasons that could have cause your keyboard and mouse to freeze. To know more about the issue, we will ask some questions to help us:

• Were there recent changes made before the issue occurred?
    • What are the steps that you've done so far to know where the issue is coming from?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you refer to this article:
    Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows
    for us to check all setting needed to help us in resolving your issue.

Let us know about the update.

Kristine Som, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 screen freezes, along with mouse and keyboard, requiring hard reset or power down.

1. Windows 10 screen freezes, along with mouse and keyboard, requiring hard reset or power down. - Similar Threads - screen freezes along

2. Windows 10 PC Freezes and requires a hard reset pressing power button before working again

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 PC Freezes and requires a hard reset pressing power button before working again: Sometimes my PC will freeze to the point where I can no longer press any buttons or open any new pages including task manager, but my mouse still moves. I can't press the reset button because I can't click to open it. When I hard reset and reboot my PC, the USB for my audio...
  3. Windows 10 Freezes - Requires Hard Shutdown

Windows 10 Freezes - Requires Hard Shutdown: I wake up the computer monitor asleepI go to the open Chrome browser.I try to reload one of the open tabs.I notice I can't click on anything else on the desktop.I close Chrome.I can move the mouse cursor freely, but cannot click anything.I notice the cursor turns to a loading...
  4. Computer Freezing, Hard reset required - Kernel Power 41

Computer Freezing, Hard reset required - Kernel Power 41: My computer consistently freezes while playing video game. When the computer freezes it locks solid leaving the last thing on the screen and the audio glitches out as well sounding like its just playing the last sound extended until I long press the power button. Event Viewer...
  5. Keyboard & Mouse Freezing~Requires Hard Reboot~Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard & Mouse Freezing~Requires Hard Reboot~Windows 10: I have two older gaming computers that have been upgraded with solid state hard drives and I wanted to go to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Installs when well, only a few minor problems. But on using both computers I have run into the same problem. Randomly, the mouse and...
  6. Keyboard & Mouse Freezing~Requires Hard Reboot~Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Keyboard & Mouse Freezing~Requires Hard Reboot~Windows 10: I have two older gaming computers that have been upgraded with solid state hard drives and I wanted to go to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Installs when well, only a few minor problems. But on using both computers I have run into the same problem. Randomly, the mouse and...
  7. Endless BSODs and freeze ups requiring hard resets

Endless BSODs and freeze ups requiring hard resets: Hi there, Recently I've encountered errors with my 6-year-old custom-built rig. At first it was suddenly freezing up, requiring a hard reset to get it to recover. After two weeks or so of this, it then graduated to BSODs, each with different error codes which led me to...
  8. Windows 10 screen freezes, along with mouse and keyboard, requiring hard reset or power down.

Windows 10 screen freezes, along with mouse and keyboard, requiring hard reset or power down.: As long as I am working, and there is mouse and/or keyboard activity, everything is 100% stable and functional and I can continue working indefinitely. If I allow the machine to stand idle for some minutes (usually under 5), with no programs running, I get a total freeze,...
  9. Hibernate Requires Hard-Restart (power supply reset)

in Windows 10 Support
    Hibernate Requires Hard-Restart (power supply reset): Since the last Windows Update three days ago, waking up from Hibernate has been a problem. When going into Hibernate the computer completely shuts down. The power switch I normally use is not illuminated and has no effect. I must toggle the power switch on the power supply,...
  10. Windows freezes that require hard reset

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows freezes that require hard reset: Hello, I am just going to take you through what happened and what I have done. A week ago I was playing games on steam and just went AFK for the day and when I came back in the evening I tried to launch a game (RUST) and it just didn't load and soon game was not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 freezes requiring hard power reset

2. windows 10 freeze requiring hard restart