Windows 10: Windows 10 Screen Scaling Issues

Discus and support Windows 10 Screen Scaling Issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, First time poster here. I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday so far I am pleased. Having one issue though that I can't seem to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eekmiester, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Screen Scaling Issues

Hello everyone,

First time poster here.

I upgraded to Windows 10 yesterday so far I am pleased.
    Having one issue though that I can't seem to figure out.
    I also couldn't seem to find any information on Google for what I was looking for.

Let me start out by saying that this issue did not exist on Windows 7, everything was fine.

I use a Sanyo 52" TV as my monitor. When I upgraded to Windows 10, the border of the screen hangs way off
    the edges. I have it set at 1920 X 1080. Although, every resolution hangs off the edges, so much that I can't see the taskbar or start menu.

I knew it was an overscan issue. I installed the latest AMD drivers hoping that would help. It did not.
    I used the Catalyst Control Center to adjust the over/under scan, and got the desktop to finally fit correctly.

However, when I launch any games, ARMA III, KSP, GTA V etc. The edges again hang off the screen. I can barely see the edge of the AMD CrossfireX logo in the top right hand.

Any ideas what could be causing this issue? In Windows 7 the scaling was always perfect, I never had to adjust anything at all. So it is definitely related to Windows 10.

Thanks much!

Erik

System Specs:
    AMD FX8350
    MSI 990FXA-GD80v2
    CFx MSI HD7970 Lightnings
    32GB G. Skill Ripjaws 1866Mhz
    4x 1TB Drives in RAID0
    EVGA SuperNova 1300w
    Thermaltake GT10 Snow Edition Case

:)

eekmiester, Jul 29, 2015

2. Does anyone's Firefox work here for posting?

Terry,

Do you have Windows 10? A 64-bit version? A high-res screen that requires scaling? A Surface device? Since I saw the scaling issue, I suspect this Firefox problem might be unique to that limited set of users...

LorenAmelang, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Individual scaling on multiple monitors with Windows 10?

I know that DPI scaling within Windows 10 is a much-debated subject. But it seems none of the answers I've found directly addresses my issue (which doesn't look that complicated).

As far as I understand, Windows 10 allows to set an individual scaling to each connected screen. One simply does that by selecting the right monitor in the display settings window and applying the desired custom scaling value to that particular monitor.

I'm using two screens: my laptop's integrated monitor which is a 14' screen with a 1920*1080 resolution and an external 22' screen with the same resolution.

Obviously, both screens shouldn't have the same scaling or else one of them would show very large (or very small) icons and texts. But whenever I try to set the scaling for one screen, windows automatically sets the same scaling to the other one. I may have
    a custom scaling of 100 % or 125 % on both screens but for all my efforts I can't get 125 % on the primary (smaller) screen and 100 % on the secondary (larger) screen. Whenever I change one setting, Windows will ask for me to log out and when
    I log back in the other will be changed too...

This is becoming very annoying. How can I get the expected behavior ?

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, version 1703 (10.0.15063.850). Please note that I do not want to let Windows automatically choose the scaling values (for reasons that are probably irrelevant to the question here). Some more information:

A
    similar question
    was asked for Win 8 a few years ago. The most-voted answer basically says Microsoft's developers made a bad design choice and we're stuck with it. Another

similar question
    was posted later about the Win 10 preview but as far as I can see no definite answer was provided. Yet, it seems generally accepted that Win 10 now features the individual scaling (for example see

here
    here
    or
    here
    ).

JonathanSeverin, Jul 29, 2015
  4. johnpliz Win User

Windows 10 Screen Scaling Issues

Hey I have exactly the same problem as you with a Panasonic Viera. Have you found a solution?

johnpliz, Aug 28, 2015
  5. MikeTi1 Win User
    I had the same problem. I use a 46" VIZIO 1080p HDTV as my monitor too for the past few years. Never had any scaling, resolution, or text issues with Windows 7. When I first installed Windows 10 and scaled @ 125%, it looked like garbage. Same thing with 150% (Which was actually recommended by Windows).

What you are going to have to do is go to 'display settings' and set the 'scaling to 100%' for the most crisp resolution for the desktop and apps. Don't worry, you will get used to it and it will look more modern, clearer, and crisp once your eyes adjust.

After you change it to 100% scaling, go into the 'advanced display settings', click 'advanced sizing of text and other items', scroll down to 'Change only the text size', and make 'Title Bars' 11 point font.

Click 'Apply', on the left hand side of the screen you will see 'Adjust ClearType Text', click that, make sure 'ClearType' is checked to 'on', then hit next and continue the process of selecting what looks the best and finish adjusting ClearType. Click 'OK' and exit the display settings.

Go to the desktop, hover your mouse somewhere on the desktop, hold 'Ctrl' and scroll your mouse wheel up and down until the icons are a good size for you.

Then open up your web browser (Edge/Chrome/Firefox, etc.) go to Settings, and make sure the zoom is at 125% for all pages. In Chrome you must go to the advanced settings and select 125%.

Restart your PC. It may take a day or so to get used to it, but it looks fine. Program UI's don't look funky anymore.

MikeTi1, Sep 10, 2016
  6. MikeTi1 Win User
    I had the same problem. I use a 46" VIZIO 1080p HDTV as my monitor too for the past few years. Never had any scaling, resolution, or text issues with Windows 7. When I first installed Windows 10 and scaled @ 125%, it looked like garbage. Same thing with 150% (Which was actually recommended by Windows).

What you are going to have to do is go to 'display settings' and set the 'scaling to 100%' for the most crisp resolution for the desktop and apps. Don't worry, you will get used to it and it will look more modern, clearer, and crisp once your eyes adjust.

After you change it to 100% scaling, go into the 'advanced display settings', click 'advanced sizing of text and other items', scroll down to 'Change only the text size', and make 'Title Bars' 11 point font.

Click 'Apply', on the left hand side of the screen you will see 'Adjust ClearType Text', click that, make sure 'ClearType' is checked to 'on', then hit next and continue the process of selecting what looks the best and finish adjusting ClearType. Click 'OK' and exit the display settings.

Go to the desktop, hover your mouse somewhere on the desktop, hold 'Ctrl' and scroll your mouse wheel up and down until the icons are a good size for you.

Then open up your web browser (Edge/Chrome/Firefox, etc.) go to Settings, and make sure the zoom is at 125% for all pages. In Chrome you must go to the advanced settings and select 125%.

Restart your PC. It may take a day or so to get used to it, but it looks fine. Program UI's don't look funky anymore.

MikeTi1, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Screen Scaling Issues

1. Windows 10 Screen Scaling Issues - Similar Threads - Screen Scaling Issues

2. Windows 10 scaling issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 scaling issue: On Windows 10 I have mistakenly adjusted the scaling which I thought was just for one application. However, it has made the desktop icons are so big that they overfill the screen so I can’t get back in to change the setting back. Any advice would by very welcome....
  3. Windows 10 scaling issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 scaling issue: On Windows 10 I have mistakenly adjusted the scaling which I thought was just for one application. However, it has made the desktop icons are so big that they overfill the screen so I can’t get back in to change the setting back. Any advice would by very welcome....
  4. Windows 10 scaling issue

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Scaling issues?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scaling issues?: [ATTACH] Hi! So I don't know if scaling is the right way to put it but I am currently running a triple monitor setup. One of my monitors is 21.5" (Monitor 2) , the other is 30" (Monitor 3) (Monitor 1 doesn't really matter). I want to align these monitors the same way as...
  6. Windows 10 display scaling issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 display scaling issue: I have recently installed a full Ubuntu onto a USB flash drive. I also have Windows 10 installed on the internal SSD. Windows 10 and Ubuntu do not see and interfere with each other. But after installing Ubuntu onto the flash drive and doing my work there, I ejected the...
  7. Screen scaling

Screen scaling: Hi! Yesterday something strange happened with my screen scaling. I'm using old 4:3 screen and GeForce 250 graphic card. w10 1903. For two or three years 1280x720 screen resolution worked very well. I had a perfect 16:9 display in center and two black lines up and down....
  8. Issues with scaling on Windows 10

Issues with scaling on Windows 10: Hello. I recently received my Lenovo laptop back from our IT department off of a re-image. Prior to the reimage, I did not have the following problem. The scaling (or so I believe it's called) is set incredibly high. This affects the text size in each Microsoft product...
  9. Windows 10 scaling issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 scaling issue: Hi all, I currently use two displays; a 22" monitor (primary), the other a 60" TV (secondary). The secondary monitor has a scaling factor of 125% selected within 'Display Settings'. I'm experiencing a problem with the feature whereby when switching back to the primary...
  10. Display Scaling Issue on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Display Scaling Issue on Windows 10: So I upgraded from Windows 8.1 and had everything working perfectly, no blurry texts in any application. However, a lot of applications now have really blurry text, including some installed apps like Device Manager. The problem goes away if I reduce scaling to 100% but that...