Windows 10: Windows 10 - Search bar not allowing me to type

Discus and support Windows 10 - Search bar not allowing me to type in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi there, Since yesterday (15/01/2019) the search box on the taskbar will not accept any typing input. Normal behavior: Click in the white box... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by SamThomas4, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Windows 10 - Search bar not allowing me to type

Hi there,

Since yesterday (15/01/2019) the search box on the taskbar will not accept any typing input.

Normal behavior: Click in the white box where it says "Type here to search", and type.

New, incorrect behavior: Click in the white box where it says "Type here to search", but the box turns from white to grey, and does not accept any input.

Workarounds: Spam left-clicking in the box WHILST typing does force it to recognise input, but not for long. This makes me think that there's a very short window where the normal behavior above still applies, but for some reason it times out in a matter of milliseconds and the box turns grey.

Restarting the computer also seems to help for a short while - this was happening last night, I restarted my computer and was able to use it correctly for a few hours, went to sleep, woke up (PC was locked for this time) but having now come back to my computer, the issue has reoccurred.

Input into other applications (Word, Chrome, Windows Explorer search boxes, etc) is absolutely fine. The issue is with the Cortana/search box.

:)

SamThomas4, Jan 16, 2019
  2. John Ado Win User
    John Ado, Jan 16, 2019
  3. fussybob Win User
    IE11 Google Toolbar no auto search suggestions, no search history?

Since the last Win 10 update my Google Toolbar won't list any search suggestions as I type and there is no search history listed. The Google tool bar will allow a search, but after a few searches no search history shows and no "clear search" button is listed either.

I have turnd on "Suggest searches as you type", and "store search histroy on my computer" in the Google Toolbar options.

Any suggestions to fix this?

fussybob, Jan 16, 2019
  4. Anne Ros Win User

Windows 10 - Search bar not allowing me to type

Can't type in Search bars or login bar in browser.

Hi,

This can be caused by corrupted system files. To help resolve the issue, we suggest following the steps provided by Abdul_Malik in this
    thread that was found helpful in resolving the same issue. After doing so, try using
    the search bar and see if you can type anything on it.

Get back to us if you need further assistance.

Anne Ros, Jan 16, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 - Search bar not allowing me to type

1. Windows 10 - Search bar not allowing me to type - Similar Threads - Search bar allowing

2. Unable to type in windows search bar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to type in windows search bar: Hi all, Recently, I realised I am unable to type in windows search bar and other applications sticky notes, outlook app sign in, windows store search bar after installing the latest windows update 2022-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5019157.I have...
  3. Windows 10 Search Bars Not Working, Won't Let Me Type

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Search Bars Not Working, Won't Let Me Type: For about a year or more, I've been having a problem with all my Windows search bars. Like I said, it is all the search bars within Windows, from the one on the bottom of the screen next to the start menu, to the ones at the top of Windows screens next to the URL bar. When I...
  4. Windows 10 Search Bars Not Working, Won't Let Me Type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Search Bars Not Working, Won't Let Me Type: For about a year or more, I've been having a problem with all my Windows search bars. Like I said, it is all the search bars within Windows, from the one on the bottom of the screen next to the start menu, to the ones at the top of Windows screens next to the URL bar. When I...
  5. Windows 10 Search Bars Not Working, Won't Let Me Type

in Cortana
  6. Can't Type on Windows 10 search Bar

in Cortana
    Can't Type on Windows 10 search Bar: I try these video methods on youtube and none of these works when I restart my computer. Can you help me please? thank you this is youtube link description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OFLuAnaNtI with more than 700,000 viewers...
  7. Windows 10 "Cannot type in Search bar"

in Cortana
    Windows 10 "Cannot type in Search bar": I had to reset Windows 10 then install all updates. Now I cannot type in the search bar. I have to select the Windows icon then type. I tried several fixes found here in the forum for same issue but nothing worked....
  8. Cannot type in Search Bar of Windows 10

in Cortana
    Cannot type in Search Bar of Windows 10: Recently after I updated Windows 10 the search box on the taskbar was working. I can't type anything in this box. I tried all the tricks: -Rebuilding Index -Command prompt commands - Powershell Commands etc that I found. But I am unable to fix the issue. Please Help!...
  9. Windows Explorer Search Bar won't let me type in it

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer Search Bar won't let me type in it: I switched to 10 from 7 yesterday because of the support drop, trying to get things how I like it, but something appears to be wrong with specifically the search bar in Windows Explorer, sometimes it works fine, but then when I go to click on it, nothing happens at all, it...
  10. Can't type in Windows 10 search bar

in Cortana
    Can't type in Windows 10 search bar: After I updated to Windows 10 the search box on the taskbar was working. A few days later I discovered that I couldn't search anything from this box. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-type-in-windows-10-search-bar/04eb6c32-fadf-40ca-8e1a-3742010e70a3"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. weebly searchbar not allowing to type

2. not allowing typing search box

3. task bar not allowing typing

4. cortana settings not allowing type in searchbar,
  5. windows 10 search not allowing me to type