Windows 10: Windows 10 Search Bar not working

Discus and support Windows 10 Search Bar not working in Cortana to solve the problem; I have had a look online for some possible fixes but none have worked... Some PowerShell fixes just end up throwing MANY errors. Others just did... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by The_Beast00007, Oct 6, 2020.

1. Windows 10 Search Bar not working

I have had a look online for some possible fixes but none have worked...

Some PowerShell fixes just end up throwing MANY errors. Others just did nothing.

Unlike most other cases my search window won't even come up. When I click on the search bar it does nothing. It doesn't go white, the text cursor doesn't appear, the search window doesn't appear and it won't allow me to type.

Can anyone help, it's so annoying not having a search bar.

:)

The_Beast00007, Oct 6, 2020

2. Search Bar/Cortana

Hello,

Thank you for posting your concern here in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 family.

From the description, I understand that you are still receiving the pop up notifications, despite having disabled the search functionality in windows 10.

Steps to disable the Search Bar

• Right click on the task bar.
    • Select the "Search" option.
    • Select "Disable."
    However, if the above steps don't work out, perform the below suggested steps and check if it helps to resolve the issue.

Open a CMD window started as Administrator.

Repair corruption: Dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth.

Run this command next: Sfc /scannow

Now run these two commands:

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Hope the above information was helpful.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Oct 6, 2020
  3. search does not work in task bar. DOES work in File Explorer

Task bar search does not work and I have tried all of the recommended steps. Had to recently reinstall Windows 10 64b (preserved personal data) and the search has not worked since.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

Thx

John Vacheresse, Oct 6, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Search Bar not working

Issues with using Search bar not working on Windows 10

Hi Amirek,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with using Search bar on Windows 10. We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

The issue could occur if there is change in system settings.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "My search bar stopped working and despite all of the "fixes" suggested", what are the troubleshooting steps which you have performed to resolve the issue?
    • Are you getting any error message when you click on Search bar?
    • Have you install any third party security software on the computer?

Method 1: I suggest you to refer to the suggestion provided in the below Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Method 2: Also I recommend you to boot the computer in safe mode and check if the issue is occurring in it or not.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Oct 6, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Search Bar not working

1. Windows 10 Search Bar not working - Similar Threads - Search Bar working

2. Windows 10 search bar not working

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search bar not working: I tried to open multiple time and it keeps crashing Iv tried many method but not being able to fix this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-bar-not-working/dd6f98da-0a95-4dfa-9658-e06ddb805bff
  3. Windows 10 search bar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 search bar not working: Windows 10 search bar not working. Tried to Google for repair and nothing seems to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-bar-not-working/79061bb5-9723-4f60-9aa5-50c041c44359
  4. Windows 10 search bar not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 search bar not working: Windows 10 search bar not working. Tried to Google for repair and nothing seems to work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-bar-not-working/79061bb5-9723-4f60-9aa5-50c041c44359
  5. Windows 10 search bar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 search bar not working: I have searched the internet for some possible fixes, but none have worked, my search window doesn't even appear. When I click the search bar, it does nothing, the text cursor does not appear, the search window does not appear, and it does not allow me to type. Can anyone...
  6. The Windows 10 search bar is not working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The Windows 10 search bar is not working.: Hi, When I use the Windows search bar, it closes automatically or when I type. I have tried various fixes, but nothing seems to work. This started to happen after I modified my taskbar and also installed a translucent taskbar app....
  7. Windows 10 search bar not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 search bar not working: Whenever I press the search bar it either pops up as a grey screen for a second and crashes, or just disappears. This has been going on for the past day, I’ve tried restarting but it hasn’t worked. Any help would be appreciated. submitted by /u/C0nfusedBoy [link]...
  8. Search bar not working on Windows 10

in Cortana
    Search bar not working on Windows 10: Today the 5th of February, I noticed that when I click on the "Type here to search" bar, it opens but nothing shows-up. It's just a grey box. I've tried shutting-down my laptop and starting it up again to see if that would work, but it hasn't. Has anyone else encountered...
  9. Search bar not working on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search bar not working on Windows 10: [ATTACH] Hello, since this morning the Windows 10 search bar is not working. When I am trying to search for something, its just empty. I've tried many things on the Internet but cannot find anything. Maybe you guys have a solution to my problem ? Thank you....
  10. Windows 10 search bar not working

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search bar not working: In the past when I would type the name of a program into the search bar (for example: "word"), the program would open. Now, when I do this, it searches the internet. How do I go back to the way it was? I can't find my programs now! Thank you in advance for your help....