Windows 10: Windows 10 search box goes black unless Explorer.exe is run as administrator

Discus and support Windows 10 search box goes black unless Explorer.exe is run as administrator in Cortana to solve the problem; We have encountered an issue with two laptops where the search box goes black when you click in it. Also the available WIFI screen is black. If you... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Larry_E_NS, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Windows 10 search box goes black unless Explorer.exe is run as administrator

We have encountered an issue with two laptops where the search box goes black when you click in it. Also the available WIFI screen is black. If you kill "explorer.exe" and then run it again as administrator the issue goes away.

Has anyone encountered this same issue and know a fix for it? I see other discussions on the "black search box" issue but they were all related to Bing and Cortana, this one is different.

One laptop was version 1909 and the other 2004. I upgraded the 1909 to 2004 to see if the issue would go away but it did not.

:)

Larry_E_NS, Nov 10, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Nov 10, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 10, 2020
  4. JohnHeinz Win User

Windows 10 search box goes black unless Explorer.exe is run as administrator

Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 search box goes black unless Explorer.exe is run as administrator

1. Windows 10 search box goes black unless Explorer.exe is run as administrator - Similar Threads - search box goes

2. Black search box in explorer.exe

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black search box in explorer.exe: How to fix this?1. no, sfc /scannow and etc restore solution does not help.2. no, %appdata%/local/IconCache.db delete/restart of explorer through task manager and reboot do not help3. no, personalization/colors/dark or light mode do not helpAny ideas?...
  3. Windows 10 File Explorer Search Box

in Cortana
    Windows 10 File Explorer Search Box: File Explorer Search - does anyone know how the search algorithm works or if there is any rhyme or reason for the order of results? Or better yet, do you know a way to define sort rules for this search?...
  4. Black Search box

in Cortana
    Black Search box: Hi, when I try to search in the top box of Explorer, the text turns black and nothing is clear! [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-search-box/88f815d4-d96f-4ef8-bb11-78715b57cf32
  5. Cant Search On Windows Unless Run A Command

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cant Search On Windows Unless Run A Command: Hey Everyone, Recently my windows search has stopped working in file explorer, the search box at the bottom left, and everything on the windows system. The only way i can fix it is by running a command which is C:\Windows\System32\ctfmon.exe Please tell me how i can stop...
  6. exe files will not run unless .exe extension is included in command

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    exe files will not run unless .exe extension is included in command: cannot run an exe file in CMD administrator I posted about it a long time ago, but I've never been able to run anything without an .exe. . . . *Huh [img] Power Shell works just fine with out an .exe, though. . . ? . 172679
  7. Firefox and Chrome won't run unless "run as administrator"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Firefox and Chrome won't run unless "run as administrator": Windows 10 Pro, Version 1909, Build 18363.418 Firefox and Chrome have both ceased to start unless "run as administrator". I can see the window form for the application, but is goes away almost instantly. Task manager shows no process still running after that, so it goes away...
  8. Black search box fixed, Windows 10

in Cortana
    Black search box fixed, Windows 10: I could not search after the latest update. I use small icons on the task bar. When I typed a search term in it just went black. Nothing on the posts worked. I went into task bar properties and changed the small icons to large and search now works. Does anyone else have...
  9. Windows 10 - Search box on explorer

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Search box on explorer: Hi. I have an HP Z4 G4 Workstation with windows 10 Pro x64 PT On some days the user can't write on search box, on explorer to find files. The solution is close the Explorer process and then open another Explorer.exe. But then (days later) happens again. I'd like to know...
  10. Screen goes black when I try to run as an administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Screen goes black when I try to run as an administrator: I have a strange issue when I need to run as admin I receive a dark screen on my PC which I can remove only by pressing ctrl-alt-del. This dark screen is accompanied by the sound asking for administrator rights. Then I have the UAC prompt appeared for a short time. I am...