Windows 10: Windows 10 search box is broken after doing a system restore

Discus and support Windows 10 search box is broken after doing a system restore in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I recently had a problem when I installed a software and thought that I will restore this pc to a restore point which I created when I first got my new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by AarushSoni, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Windows 10 search box is broken after doing a system restore

I recently had a problem when I installed a software and thought that I will restore this pc to a restore point which I created when I first got my new PC. My PC is a Dell Inspiron 3471 with 8GB ram Intel i5 9400. After doing the restore I saw that my search box appears broken and Microsoft store apps don't work correctly.I have tried cleaning temporary files and cache. I have restarted my computer thrice but nothing worked. I also ran the sfc /scannow and the DISM /online /restorehealth command but it doesn't help me at all. Please help me with this search box because it's so annoying to be w

:)

AarushSoni, Jun 9, 2021

2. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Jun 9, 2021
  3. JohnHeinz Win User
    Windows 10 Search box

Which instructions are you suggesting I missed? There is no search icon. Right clicking the taskbar shows no search option. The "small characters" or icons trick did nothing. The regedit thing:
    Follow these steps to turn on the hidden search box:

• Open regedit
    • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
    • Inside the search key, create the new DWORD value named EnableSearchBox and set it to 1
    • Restart your computer or simply Explorer Shell
    Did not give me a search option that I can find.

So in at least MY version of windows 10 there is no search box I can find that will allow me to search my own computer to find possible misplaced files.

So what are the instructions?

JohnHeinz, Jun 9, 2021
  4. taid Win User

Windows 10 search box is broken after doing a system restore

Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

Thanks for all your suggestions - I think I may just have to save a copy of my Edge favourites as and when I remember and be prepared for the worse...

Dalchina - thanks for the F8 links. Unfortunately they don't work.

Accessing Safe Mode from Windows via settings (a looong procedure) gets me there but interestingly when I enter 'restore' in the search box in Safe Mode it brings up the System Properties box as usual BUT the System Protection tab is missing !

As someone mentioned it appears System Restore in W10 may be a bit hit and miss. Also if I do a System Restore and get the message to say that all has gone well, the actual restore point is not subsequently listed...

Strange...

taid, Jun 9, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 search box is broken after doing a system restore

1. Windows 10 search box is broken after doing a system restore - Similar Threads - search box broken

2. Help! Search box broken!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Help! Search box broken!: I have been using Windows 11 since it released and I have only recently started to have this problem Starting October 13th, 2022I have tried to open my windows start menu and interact with it, only for it to close with no Error Message. I have also attempted to use the search...
  3. Help! Search box broken!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Help! Search box broken!: I have been using Windows 11 since it released and I have only recently started to have this problem Starting October 13th, 2022I have tried to open my windows start menu and interact with it, only for it to close with no Error Message. I have also attempted to use the search...
  4. Windows 10 Search is broken

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Search is broken: Edition Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 OS build 19044.1766 Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0 My search is completely broken. Clicking on the search bar opens a completely blank grey window. I've tried running windows troubleshooter, restarting the...
  5. How do I restore the Cortana search box?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I restore the Cortana search box?: I've tried right-clicking the search engine (it's only an icon), but there is no Cortana option. How do I resolve this issue? submitted by /u/victoria_queen [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/rix9jb/how_do_i_restore_the_cortana_search_box/
  6. Search box broken

in Cortana
    Search box broken: After running mbr2gpt through the cmd in advanced options the search box broke completely. MBR2GPT ran completely fine - there were no errors, aside from a file in WinRE that couldn't update I deactivated and reactivated WinRE which mbr2gpt instructed me to do. But, weirdly...
  7. search box in windows explorer broken

in Cortana
    search box in windows explorer broken: on my old windows 10 machine, i could click on search, and date modified, and a calendar would pop up and allow me to set a specific date range. on my brand new computer it does not work. i can only pick last week, last month, etc. i have no idea how to get the function...
  8. Windows 10 Search Broken

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Broken: I open up the start button, and I'm typing. NORMALLY, Windows Start should pop up with the search box and all that and you should be typing like normal FOR ME however, it just types one 1 letter, and just closes. I am unable to search for anything on my PC because of it....
  9. I did a system restore but after reboot broken again

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I did a system restore but after reboot broken again: As the title says, my PC "broke" so i did a system restore and it worked again. When i rebooted, my PC is broken again. And have to do a system restore... again. I only have 2 restore points, one which when finished starts installation of Visual Studio, the other does the...
  10. System Restore is a totally BROKEN option

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    System Restore is a totally BROKEN option: Hi, after my notebook automatically gave me this month's disastrous updates and everything got messed up i decided to use the 'System Restore' point that was created just before the update. (the option to return to previous version of win10 had already passed after 12h, or...