Windows 10: Windows 10 Search does not pull up files and apps that I search

Discus and support Windows 10 Search does not pull up files and apps that I search in Cortana to solve the problem; I bought a new Acer PC pre-loaded with Windows 10 and whatever 3rd party software they decided to pre-install. It had a hard drive. I wanted a Solid... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Alip1991, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Alip1991 Win User

Windows 10 Search does not pull up files and apps that I search

I bought a new Acer PC pre-loaded with Windows 10 and whatever 3rd party software they decided to pre-install. It had a hard drive. I wanted a Solid State Drive.

So I went to a PC store and bought a Solid State Drive and he basically installed a fresh Windows 10 on my SSD (which became my C: drive) while keeping my Hard drive as a D: drive with all it’s prior content (including the Windows 10 and everything else that was pre-installed).

So now my default drive is my C: Solid State Drive. That’s where Windows 10 (fresh copy) runs from.

Ever since I did this, when I search for most things in the ‘Type here to search’ bar, things do not come up. The only things that do are things that I download directly from Microsoft App store like Wunderlist or Outlook. But things like ‘Battle Net’ app or ‘Steam’ or ‘Twitch’, all things I downloaded from the Web, do not show up when I search for them in that bar. Instead, I need to open my C: drive and manually search for the App icon and open it from there.

Why this change? How can I get my computer to communicate with the C: drive so that I can actually search for things? It cuts efficiency a lot to have to manually access my C: drive and open things from there, instead of search pulling them up.

Yes, I have ALL the latest Windows 10 updates for sure. I check daily with the updates button.

In summary:
    - At first Windows 10 pre-installed with all the other garbage on my new PC did have a functional search and did pull up whatever programs I downloaded or files I had. Originally I had only a hard drive and no solid state
    - Ever since I installed a Solid State Drive and installed a fresh windows 10 copy on it and made that my main (CWindows 10 Search does not pull up files and apps that I search :) drive and made my hard drive a backup (DWindows 10 Search does not pull up files and apps that I search :) drive, the search no longer pulls up files I search for. Instead I must manually seek them out on my C: drive via 'Program files x86' folder.

- My SSD is C: drive now with fresh Windows 10 with all updates
    - My D: drive is my Hard Drive, still having all prior data on it (including the Windows 10 factory install that my computer came with)

:)

Alip1991, Dec 17, 2018

2. Search Content of MHT files

Hi David,

Most probably, this is a problem with the search and indexing of your Windows 10 computer. For us to provide the best resolution possible, we would like to clarify the following:

• Are you trying to search the content of MHT files using Cortana?
    • Have you tried searching it using the File Explorer?
    • Are you using a third-party app to search for the content of MHT files?

As an initial troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for search and indexing. To run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter, follow these steps:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems.
    • Select Search and Indexing and click Run the troubleshooter.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Gerard Qui, Dec 17, 2018
  3. rtwjunkie Win User
    Search Question

Honestly, my best results searching for stuff here is to go to googlebing, search for "xxxxxx TPU" with xxxx being replaced by your keywords.

I did find some Steam discussions on it:
    How do I enable either 5.1 or 7.1 audio in "Wolfenstein: The New Order"?. :: Wolfenstein: The New Order General Discussions

Audio on 5.1 sound system :: Wolfenstein: The New Order General Discussions

Audio Fix for Voices :: Wolfenstein: The New Order General Discussions

I got these with: Wolfenstein new order 5.1 audio

rtwjunkie, Dec 17, 2018
  4. rtwjunkie Win User

Search Question

Which is why I suggested he try there instead. TPU is too limited of a user base to search here alone for anything gaming related.

rtwjunkie, Dec 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Search does not pull up files and apps that I search - Similar Threads - Search does pull

2. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  3. File Explorer search does not work to search file contents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer search does not work to search file contents: File Explorer search does not work to search file contents.The folder is indexed and indexing completed successfully and shows the expected number of indexed files.I've got "Allow files in theis folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties" checked in...
  4. why does search not show the files i search for

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why does search not show the files i search for: When I search for files I know are there, it doesn't matter if i search my entire hard disc or the specific folders where i have the files, the search comes back empty. Here is an example, if I was looking for an Allman Brothers song with "Allman Brothers" in the filenames...
  5. why does search not show the files i search for

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    why does search not show the files i search for: When I search for files I know are there, it doesn't matter if i search my entire hard disc or the specific folders where i have the files, the search comes back empty. Here is an example, if I was looking for an Allman Brothers song with "Allman Brothers" in the filenames...
  6. Windows search does not search inside the files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows search does not search inside the files.: Hi. I cant take results from inside of file contents (etc .css) while I've made the relevant choice in Windows Search. After searching the internet I read that it may be the file "Searchui.exe". Indeed, the file does not even exist on my system. Αnyone to have some idea to...
  7. This file does not have an app associated... When I search anything on search bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    This file does not have an app associated... When I search anything on search bar: When I enter something in the search bar of windows 10 such as "Manage your Accounts" and hit enter, I get an error saying, "This file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. Please install an app or, if one is already installed, create an...
  8. Search does not show up

in Windows 10 Support
    Search does not show up: When I right click on the lower left window ans click o 'Search' nothing happens. It worked within the past 2 weeks. Cortana is off) 69452
  9. Creators update search not pulling up installed programs... HELP!!!

in Windows 10 Support
    Creators update search not pulling up installed programs... HELP!!!: Hey guys, I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 build 1703 (Creators update) and I am on the latest update as of July 19 2017. I have one big problem, Cortana search doesn't seem to pull up installed programs like VLC or 7-Zip whenever i type the names in. Also if I...
  10. Search not pulling up apps on Creators Update

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not pulling up apps on Creators Update: Hi, Ever since I upgraded to 1703 (aka the Creators Update), I have not been able to pull up any applications through the search menu. I will type in an application that is installed, and it will say that there is no results, even with a re-index. I have tried to re-index...