Windows 10 Search doesn't work

Discus and support Windows 10 Search doesn't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there The Search doesn't work properly whether done via Brink's method (using the Charms and getting the search bar up) or searching using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Nov 11, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

The Search doesn't work properly whether done via Brink's method (using the Charms and getting the search bar up) or searching using the menu search.

(You can use file explorer but if I just want to find a file I shouldn't have to use that given there IS a separate search facility in the system).

As an example I'm looking for the folder Forbidden Planet (actually a very sensible GOOD science fiction movie from 1956 loosely based on Shakespeare's "The Tempest" -- A classic in its day. A Must see for any Sci Fi lover -- much better and more intelligent than the drivel turned out today !!!!).

Forbidden Planet - Wikipedia

The search can't find it. !!!

Windows 10 Search doesn't work [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 11, 2014
  2. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP Win User

Search Windows doesn't work

Type Indexing in Start search, open Indexing Options. Click on Modify, then Show all Drives, expand each to make sure all locations you want are selected, and those you don't are not. You will want at least your C:\Users folders and Start Menu. Some also
    want their Program Files. Save these and exit.

If this doesn't help within a few days after the new locations are added to the Index, return to Indexing Options and choose Advanced settings. Click on Rebuild Index. This may take a few days working in the background.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until this is resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 11, 2014
  3. tocy80 Win User
    Search Windows doesn't work

I have already tried this but still nothing.

tocy80, Nov 11, 2014
  4. Kari Win User

Working just fine for me Jimbo.

You can use Charms Search for searching local computer's files and folders.

Here I search for Amersfoort , trying to find a file either a Word docx or a PDF with that name I have made. Both found:

And here searching for Documents, search finds both my Documents folder and Documents library:

5. Superfly Win User
    Interesting... is any documentation regarding the search logic?

Seems first word -> if "everywhere" selected -> local disc, Bing etc -> if no result check second word -> same loop etc ...?

Superfly, Nov 11, 2014
  6. usasma Win User
    Can you search any of the other movies in that folder?
    What happens then?

Is the indexer turned on?
    In my copy of 10, it only indexes a few locations (one of which is the Users folder - so that includes most users' stuff)
    Have you checked in Indexing Options to be sure that that location is included?

usasma, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Search doesn't work - Similar Threads - Search doesn't

2. Start menu typing search doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu typing search doesn't work: I thought I could just type "rege" and get Regedit result right away. No. I need to type the whole name. What's going on? The Windows Search service is running. I disabled Cortana, but that shouldn't matter, should it? 112057
  3. Start search doesn't show files

in Windows 10 Support
    Start search doesn't show files: Hello there, I'm having an issue that's more an annoying thing than really an issue. Nevertheless, I hope you can help me with it. When I want to search in Windows 10 by pressing start and just typing, no files like .docx's or .mp3's, or just any personal files, are...
  4. Start > Windows doesn't search for files in other hard drives

in Windows 10 Support
    Start > Windows doesn't search for files in other hard drives: When I search for programs on the search function when you hit the windows button it only searches for files found on the same harddrive I installed Windows on (C: SSD 120GB). I have all my other files, pictures games movies etc on my E and F harddrive. However when I...
  5. Search text doesn't appear

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Search text doesn't appear: This is a rather strange problem, the search text when searching from the start menu isn't appearing. I can still highlight it though. Any ideas? Edit: Also just realized the buttons to the left aren't visible either. [img] Screenshot -...
  6. Search doesn't find web shortcuts

in Windows 10 Support
    Search doesn't find web shortcuts: I have a program group that contains a bunch of shortcuts. Some are applications. Some are shortcut links to web pages or web-based control panels. The problem is that ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, searching doesn't find the web shortcuts. For example, "Password...
  7. Search bar in taskbar doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Search bar in taskbar doesn't work: I have the "Search the web and Windows" bar in my taskbar but I can't type anything into it. If I go to "File Explorer" in the start panel, I can search for files. This worked in the past and I don't know what might have happened to make it stop working. I'm still...
  8. Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    Search bar in windows file explorer doesn't work: The search bar in my files explorer won't actually search anything, just to make it clear it isn't the search bar on the left but the smaller one on the right that won't actually do anything/highlight anything Screenshot - ae72785c768d4df8a79ce4627f494350 - Gyazo I used...
  9. Task search bar doesn't display results (problem)

in Windows 10 Support
    Task search bar doesn't display results (problem): Recently the search results stopped showing ive done malware scans had multiple reboots ect. since this started still here. As you can see it displays white for everything you search. [img] Anyone els have this issue? 81973
  10. Windows search doesn't always work

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows search doesn't always work: Sometimes when I search forsomething from the start menu, windows finds nothing, even if the program is installed on my computer. e.g if I search for "Warcraft 3" windows will say that it found nothing even though the game is installed on my C drive. This is the case with...