Windows 10: Windows 10 Search doesn't work

Discus and support Windows 10 Search doesn't work in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there The Search doesn't work properly whether done via Brink's method (using the Charms and getting the search bar up) or searching using the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Nov 11, 2014.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 10 Search doesn't work

Hi there

The Search doesn't work properly whether done via Brink's method (using the Charms and getting the search bar up) or searching using the menu search.

(You can use file explorer but if I just want to find a file I shouldn't have to use that given there IS a separate search facility in the system).

As an example I'm looking for the folder Forbidden Planet (actually a very sensible GOOD science fiction movie from 1956 loosely based on Shakespeare's "The Tempest" -- A classic in its day. A Must see for any Sci Fi lover -- much better and more intelligent than the drivel turned out today !!!!).

Forbidden Planet - Wikipedia

The search can't find it. !!!

Windows 10 Search doesn't work [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 11, 2014

2. Search Windows doesn't work

Type Indexing in Start search, open Indexing Options. Click on Modify, then Show all Drives, expand each to make sure all locations you want are selected, and those you don't are not. You will want at least your C:\Users folders and Start Menu. Some also
    want their Program Files. Save these and exit.

If this doesn't help within a few days after the new locations are added to the Index, return to Indexing Options and choose Advanced settings. Click on Rebuild Index. This may take a few days working in the background.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let us know how it goes. I'll keep working with you until this is resolved.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 11, 2014
  3. tocy80 Win User
    Search Windows doesn't work

I have already tried this but still nothing.

tocy80, Nov 11, 2014
  4. Kari Win User

Working just fine for me Jimbo.

You can use Charms Search for searching local computer's files and folders.

Here I search for Amersfoort , trying to find a file either a Word docx or a PDF with that name I have made. Both found:

And here searching for Documents, search finds both my Documents folder and Documents library:

5. Superfly Win User
    Interesting... is any documentation regarding the search logic?

Seems first word -> if "everywhere" selected -> local disc, Bing etc -> if no result check second word -> same loop etc ...?

Superfly, Nov 11, 2014
  6. usasma Win User
    Can you search any of the other movies in that folder?
    What happens then?

Is the indexer turned on?
    In my copy of 10, it only indexes a few locations (one of which is the Users folder - so that includes most users' stuff)
    Have you checked in Indexing Options to be sure that that location is included?

usasma, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Search doesn't work - Similar Threads - Search doesn't

2. Windows 10 Search Bar doesn't find installed apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Search Bar doesn't find installed apps: I have Windows 10 Pro x64 on my desktop and I recently downloaded a couple applications that I have installed. When I tap on the windows key it brings up recently installed apps and I can find it there, however, when I search up the app "Razer Synapse" nothing appears. I've...
  3. Windows 10 Search Bar doesn't find installed apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Search Bar doesn't find installed apps: I have Windows 10 Pro x64 on my desktop and I recently downloaded a couple applications that I have installed. When I tap on the windows key it brings up recently installed apps and I can find it there, however, when I search up the app "Razer Synapse" nothing appears. I've...
  4. Windows 10 Search Bar doesn't find installed apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  6. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore: Usually I pressed the Win key to open up the windows start menu and I typed any letters there to start searching for my apps and files.For example I usually type 'Win' then 'F' and 'Enter' to open File Explorer.The problem is that now the search box doesn't automatically...
  7. Windows search box doesn't automatically select the best result anymore

8. My Microsoft Store app doesn't appear using any search terms

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft Store app doesn't appear using any search terms: Two weeks ago I adjusted my app's availability to public and using the Microsoft Store 'search' box does not show the product by name its called "MonkeyPaste" or any of the search terms I provided like "Clipboard". In both cases I have scrolled all the way to the bottom of...
  9. My Microsoft Store app doesn't appear using any search terms

My Microsoft Store app doesn't appear using any search terms: Two weeks ago I adjusted my app's availability to public and using the Microsoft Store 'search' box does not show the product by name its called "MonkeyPaste" or any of the search terms I provided like "Clipboard". In both cases I have scrolled all the way to the bottom of...
  10. Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar Search Doesn't Show Recents: When I go to the search icon in taskbar, right click to open pane, click on search, it only shows trending and masses of irrelevant crud. It used to show recent searches, making the box pretty empty, which was great. Now suddenly it has tons of useless suggestions. How do I...