Windows 10: Windows 10 search fails to find specific file

Discus and support Windows 10 search fails to find specific file in Cortana to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 Enterprise. I am trying to find a specific file by searching either in Start menu, or by directly searching in the folder where the... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Xen M, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Xen M Win User

Windows 10 search fails to find specific file

I have Windows 10 Enterprise. I am trying to find a specific file by searching either in Start menu, or by directly searching in the folder where the file itself is located. While all other files with the searched characters are retrieved, that one file is not. I tried renaming it... nothing. I checked all of its properties, permissions, etc and they match the other files. This is making me mad. Any ideas why this happens?

:)

Xen M, Dec 14, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 14, 2018
  3. Hitesh12 Win User
    Cannot search in a specific folder [Windows 10]

THANKS A LOT !!

This worked like a charm. Now search is working perfectly

Thanks a lot Ruth, really appreciate your help

Hitesh12, Dec 14, 2018
  4. Windows 10 search fails to find specific file

Cortana cannot find photo files without specific search filter

To know more about this concern, kindly answer the following:

• Any changes made prior to this concern?
    • Is this the first time you experience this problem?
    • Is this happening when searching photo files only?
    • Is there an specific type of file that Cortana cannot search?

You can also check this
    link
    for further information and troubleshooting steps.

Thank you.

Desiree Yau, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 search fails to find specific file

1. Windows 10 search fails to find specific file - Similar Threads - search fails find

2. Windows Search Not Finding Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Not Finding Files: Windows 10 Version: 20H2 (OS Build 19042,1052) I've always had problem with searching files. If I "search this PC" and type in a folder or file name, nothing ever comes up. It just says "working on it" forever as the little bar moves. If I search a specific folder, sometimes...
  3. Windows Search works strangely, only finds files with specific keywords.

in Cortana
    Windows Search works strangely, only finds files with specific keywords.: Hello, I've got a problem with my Windows Search Service. It is the best explained if you take a look at the pictures included to this question. This problem occurs on every drive, and it is quite frustrating as it sometimes leads me into thinking that specific file is not...
  4. Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 search for a specific folder name and file name: Hi. I can easily search for folders with a name like "Business". But then I want to find any files in just those folders named "Assets". Can I either make a search using something like AND or can I search for files just within the folders I searched for to begin with. In...
  5. Is there a way to make Windows 10 to search for a specific file type?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is there a way to make Windows 10 to search for a specific file type?: I have a PC with 4 diffrent hard drives installed... Actually 3 hard drives and 1 SSD... Not too long ago I made a .rar file that I can't remember where I put it or what was it called... Is there a way to make windows 10 search for all .rar files somehow so that I can find it...
  6. Windows Search not finding file that IS there!

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search not finding file that IS there!: Hi, I'm very confused.. I am looking for any files on my computer that have "Hybrid - Analog Women" in the name, no matter what the file extension is. I know for a fact that there is one called Hybrid - Analog Women.nksn on one of my drives yet it is returning "No items match...
  7. Searching specific files using File Explorer

Searching specific files using File Explorer: a) search for dedicated folders e.g. music folders using explorer. b)speed up the awful win 10 search engine so I do not have to look at an expanding ribbon for what seems ages. Thank you, I very much hope I will not be directed to starting windows with a clean boot and...
  8. How to find specific phrase in search of all files in Documents folder

How to find specific phrase in search of all files in Documents folder: This used to work. By "used to," I mean it worked a couple of weeks ago. Now, when I'm in Windows and I click on the Documents folder and type something in the search box, using quotes, I no longer get a list of the documents containing the search terms but instead get a list...
  9. Can't Get Windows 10 Search To Find Files In A Specific Folder....

in Cortana
    Can't Get Windows 10 Search To Find Files In A Specific Folder....: I'm hoping someone can help me out here.... I have a folder - C:\MyStuff and I have a bunch of subfolders. I would like to be able to search for things by pressing the Windows key and then typing part of the name. I thought that would be possible - but Windows never...
  10. File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10

File search fails to find files in directories on USB drive Windows 10: I'm going to save various thousands of words by inserting images. First, these are the drives. [ATTACH] Searches on M: don't work. Note the indicated files in M:\Music. [ATTACH] Here's the result of a search of this directory. Note that Windows did not find any of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search for specific file in Windows 10

2. windows 10 search on specific file

3. seach this pc fails to find folder inetcache which appears in path to folder on my pc