Windows 10: Windows 10 search fails to find things on my main storage device.

Discus and support Windows 10 search fails to find things on my main storage device. in Cortana to solve the problem; I use a WD Passport external drive for my Documents and my Music and other folders. Win10 often refuses to have anything to to with it in terms of... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Bfotk, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Bfotk Win User

Windows 10 search fails to find things on my main storage device.

I use a WD Passport external drive for my Documents and my Music and other folders. Win10 often refuses to have anything to to with it in terms of doing a search, even if I navigate to that drive and do the search from there.

I have just done a search Rebuild (again) which accomplishes nothing. I should note that the "may take a long time" seems not to apply. I clicked Rebuild, saw the message, gave the OK. The message box disappeared. The main panel immediately says 166,694 items indexed, Indexing complete. Perhaps indexing is not complete, but taking its time invisibly? If so, how will I know that I can, for instance, shut down the computer?

Yes. My Passport drive is included in the indexing list...

:)

Bfotk, Mar 27, 2019
  2. EdTittel Win User

a request for device descriptor request failed

Maybe it's time to step back from the current efforts, and start over. I suggest you read over this excellent tutorial and try all of its steps: [Solved] Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) for Windows 10 - Driver Easy. The one that may provide you with some easy relief is the one where you uninstall the device whose descriptor is failing, reboot, and see what happens when device enumeration recurs during boot-up. If you're lucky, it will fix itself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Mar 27, 2019
  3. VMware-usb storage device not recognized

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP in Workstation Player on a Windows 10 laptop.

My USB CD/DVD drive is able to mount in the Player. So is a flash drive.

My Western Digital ssd (My Passport Ultra) is listed in "Removable devices", but fails to mount, giving this error:

Windows 10 search fails to find things on my main storage device. [​IMG]

In the Virtual Machine settings, the USB controller is using usb 2.0.

The WD ssd is compatible with usb 3.0 and 2.0, and is supported by Windows XP. My desktop computer running Win XP has no problem mounting the drive.

The device manager in virtual Win XP shows it as an "unknown device."

I've read everything I can find on the problem, and tried a number of suggestions from the knowledge base at VMware as well as solutions via google searches.

Perhaps the WD ssd just won't work on the free version of VM Workstation Player (v. 14).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul Bacon, Mar 27, 2019
  4. Windows 10 search fails to find things on my main storage device.

Internal Storage devices being detected as removable devices

Hi,

I would suggest you to update your storage controller driver.

Method 1: Update Storage Controller Driver

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Update Driver Software.
    • Wait for sometime and check if the issue persists.
    • Restart your system.
    Method 2: Uninstall and then reinstall Storage Controller driver from the Manufacturer's Website

Follow the steps.

• Press Windows key + X key and click Device Manager.
    • Expand the Storage Controller.
    • Right-click on the Storage controller Driver
      and select Uninstall.
    • Now, go to the Manufacturer's website and download the latest storage controller driver.
    • Once the download is complete, double-click and run the setup file to complete installation.
    • Restart your system.
    Hope this helps. Please respond if you have further related queries.

Regards,

Jesinta Rozario, Mar 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 search fails to find things on my main storage device.

1. Windows 10 search fails to find things on my main storage device. - Similar Threads - search fails find

2. Search in external storage device

in Cortana
    Search in external storage device: How can I search a word in documents that are in an external storage device? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-in-external-storage-device/8d5abdd3-c417-47cd-9f15-8449fe238e3e
  3. Windows Keeps Referring Back to My Main Storage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows Keeps Referring Back to My Main Storage: Hello all. I want to update my windows 10 computer to the latest update (1093), but unfortunately, it appears everything that I've tried won't let me. My computer doesn't have the storage so I'm attempting to download the update via my USB flash drive from the Media Creation...
  4. Searching within Settings fails to find anything.

in Windows 10 Support
    Searching within Settings fails to find anything.: When I go into the Windows 10 Settings page and use the search box to find a particular setting I'm looking for it returns nothing, even for items I know are there. What could be causing this? Windows 10 version 2004. 158389
  5. not able to find storage device while reinstalling windows on my laptop.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    not able to find storage device while reinstalling windows on my laptop.: Hi, I had an issue of bad sectors on my hard disk so did a low level formatting of the same. Now when i am using it to reinstall windows 10, it shows an error message "We couldn't find any drives. To get a storage driver, click load driver. This is an HP pavilion G6 -2005...
  6. Find storage device file system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Find storage device file system: Hello. I have a micro SD card that came from a network cctv camera. The cameras file system is not known to file explorer and prompts me to format the device. However; I would like to find out what the file system is and if I can find a way to recover the footage off it....
  7. Microsoft help failing to find my device

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft help failing to find my device: I lost my laptop in school it was stolen at night, since i linked it to my outlook account i tried to get its current location through Microsoft help site where i used the find device option when i clicked on find but it couldn't and it said We can’t locate your device right...
  8. Windows 10 search fails to find specific file

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search fails to find specific file: I have Windows 10 Enterprise. I am trying to find a specific file by searching either in Start menu, or by directly searching in the folder where the file itself is located. While all other files with the searched characters are retrieved, that one file is not. I tried...
  9. Windows Search fails to find any Outlook entries

in Browsers and Email
    Windows Search fails to find any Outlook entries: In Windows 7, hitting the Windows key would bring up a search field, just as it does in Windows 10. Included in the search results would be matching entries from Microsoft Outlook 2010 (contacts, tasks, e-mail, etc. that contain the search string). Now in Windows 10 the...
  10. Cortana search bar not finding things such as regedit

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana search bar not finding things such as regedit: My cortana bar seems to be missing some important stuff when I search. Regedit is completely absent when doing search for one. Any ideas why? 23563