Windows 10: Windows 10 search function not available/ Freeze after hibernation

Discus and support Windows 10 search function not available/ Freeze after hibernation in Cortana to solve the problem; I am having two issues occur with my computer. Please assist if anyone can. 1. Windows search function not working. Search box in task bar only pops... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by R.Long, Feb 5, 2020.

1. R.Long Win User

Windows 10 search function not available/ Freeze after hibernation

I am having two issues occur with my computer. Please assist if anyone can.

1. Windows search function not working. Search box in task bar only pops up blank, empty box where something usually would populate when cursor clicked in search box - it does not search when anything typed in. Just a blank box. Windows is up to date, dell is up to date. No maintenance needs to be ran. Security is working perfectly.

Have tried: search & indexing troubleshooter, restarting computer, restarted cortana/search process, modified windows search service changed to automatic, restore indexing services, ran the command prompt as administrator and completed both DISM and SFC / scannow to ensure there are no corrupted files there are none, ran Norton security and performance scans working perfectly and nothing has worked.

In task manager - the cortana services are suspended. Not certain if that would have anything to do with the issue.

2. Computer freezes upon "waking up" after sleeping/hibernating.

Waking the computer up after it has been sleeping or inactive for a period of time has lately began to freeze the computer. The last several times I have attempted to wake up the computer after periods of inactivity, it freezes. There is no response from either mouse or keyboard, I cannot log in; Nothing moves/occurs on the screen. The only option I had was a hard shut down pushing button on tower and then starting the computer back up.

From my very low tech skills, I feel as though everything is telling me the computer is in pristine condition. Yet I am experiencing issues with it. My only thought is that something is blocking the search function and perhaps an app is taking too much memory in startup. I honestly don't know. Grasping at straws here.

Please help if you can. Thank you!

:)

R.Long, Feb 5, 2020
  2. Jr James Win User

Freezing in hibernation after Windows 10 update

I've done the power troubleshooting you've suggested, and it found nothing. My computer is an HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx running the current bios of f49. The problem with the hibernate is not going into, but coming out of. When you try to restart the system
    goes into the loading windows screen with the "flag" icon, and starts the spinning dots (hour glass) and then freezes, as if it's possibly having trouble finding and/or retrieving the information stored when it hibernated. I am then forced to reboot, which
    then allows the system to start fine, with out recovering from hibernation. Oddly enough, I have checked the power options and none of the three power management options have hibernate turned on under any option (plugged in/battery). Since Hibernate is in
    the off mode, I'm not sure why it hibernates on it's own. None of these problems exist when the system just goes into sleep mode. I have also tried to duplicate the issue by putting the system into hibernation manually, and the issue still exists. Again,
    the issue seems to be with potentially the system not being able to retrieve the stored information when it tries to come out of hibernation.

My upgrade to windows was first done via Microsoft's automatic update, the first day the updates where available. I since have added a new hybrid hard drive and did a clean instal with an iso created from the media creation tool. I would like for the hibernate
    option to work. Please let me know if you need any further details. I do have an associates in computer networking, so feel free to get as technical as you'd like, if you decide to contact me.

Jr

Jr James, Feb 5, 2020
  3. Missing hibernate button

Hi Yusak,

We would like to isolate this issue that you're having right now. Will you be able to provide the exact error message that you recieved?

We suggest that you try to enable hibernation on your device using the Command Prompt.

To make hibernation available, follow these steps:

• Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
    • In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
    • When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
    • At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate on, and then press Enter.
    • Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

We will wait for your response.

Regards.

Leviozar Gam, Feb 5, 2020
  4. Windows 10 search function not available/ Freeze after hibernation

Windows 10 Hibernate problems

I suggest you to follow the methods provided below and check if it helps.

I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter by following the steps below and check if for any power components change status.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type troubleshooting and select the top most search result.
    • Click on View All from the left side panel of the window.
    • Select Power from the options, click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically option.
    • Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.
    • Check for the missing/corrupted power component status of the troubleshooter, close the window and check if the issue is resolved.
    You can follow the step by step guide to
    enable hibernate option in windows 10

Swapnil Kharche, Feb 5, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 search function not available/ Freeze after hibernation

1. Windows 10 search function not available/ Freeze after hibernation - Similar Threads - search function available

2. Programs freeze after sleep mode or hibernate windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Programs freeze after sleep mode or hibernate windows 10: I usually keep a few programs open all the time on my pc like chrome and discord, but when my system turns on from sleep mode or hibernate they get stuck. Sometimes I have to reset my pc just to get them up and running again. This problem started after I factory reset my pc...
  3. Programs freeze after sleep mode or hibernate windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs freeze after sleep mode or hibernate windows 10: I usually keep a few programs open all the time on my pc like chrome and discord, but when my system turns on from sleep mode or hibernate they get stuck. Sometimes I have to reset my pc just to get them up and running again. This problem started after I factory reset my pc...
  4. Windows 10 random freezes and hibernations

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 random freezes and hibernations: Since last week I've been getting random freezes for like 2/3 minutes, and today it started with random hibernations. I'm using a Thinkpad T450s with Windows 10 Pro version 2004 build 19041.329 My specs are: 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and i5-5300U I want to know if other ppl is...
  5. Windows Search Functionality Not Available

in Cortana
    Windows Search Functionality Not Available: Hello All, My issue is that I have no means of searching using the operating system or files explorer. I’d actually found this article in my troubleshooting and had run through it’s recommendations before reaching out. There’s a thin grey outline around my search...
  6. Windows 10 1909 search function is not available

in Cortana
    Windows 10 1909 search function is not available: The search function of windows 10 1909 cannot be used. Once you click the search icon, it will disappear. It is impossible to successfully establish a test account, SFC, msconfig, and download ISO for repair. What else can I do?...
  7. Windows 10 1903 freezing randomly and after sleep or hibernate

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 1903 freezing randomly and after sleep or hibernate: Good morning. After upgrading(?) from Windows 7 to Windows 10, now 1903, on an old but still very performing Toshiba TECRA R850, I was plagued by freezing with no alternative but to hold the power button to reboot. I looked for months for a solution on the Internet with no...
  8. Windows 10 search function

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 search function: Why does windows 10 search function not find anything...nothing at all....its an absolute joke of an operating system. Seriously microsoft...sort it out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-function/50eea776-39c7-4c66-b8b6-d1fd320e3eb8"
  9. Search function windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Search function windows 10: I have a problem with the windows 10 search function. None of my epub files is found. file: epub no result, ext: epub no result, *.epub no result, Tried to change the app being used from calibre to edge no result Any suggestions, please. 91070
  10. Search Function Not Working after Upgrade to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Function Not Working after Upgrade to Windows 10: I have 8 NAS drives on my network that is attached to my computer. Prior to upgrade to Windows 10 - from Windows 7 , I could go to file explorer and then search all the NAS drives for the info that I needed. In Windows 10, I can see on the NAS drives under This PC but...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cortana suspended fix

2. windows 10 cortana suspended

3. cortana showing suspended in task manager

4. cortana is suspended,
  5. how to unsuspend cortana