Windows 10: Windows 10 search function not working

Discus and support Windows 10 search function not working in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, After updating my windows to 1903, my windows search is not working at all. When i go to type something in, the tab is blank and nothing I type... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ITonyLiuI, Sep 3, 2019.

1. ITonyLiuI Win User

Windows 10 search function not working

Hi,

After updating my windows to 1903, my windows search is not working at all. When i go to type something in, the tab is blank and nothing I type has any response. I created a temporary account and signed into that one and it works perfectly fine, but on my account it doesn't work.

:)

ITonyLiuI, Sep 3, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 search function not working.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.

• Type Services.msc In the search box.

• Select Windows Search

• Restart the services and set the service as Automatic

Method 1: Run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter.

Follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to
      Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the
      view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Search and Indexing
      troubleshooter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Sep 3, 2019
  3. Windows 10 Search function not working at all

Hi,

Please reply to a few questions to understand the issue better:

• Are you facing similar issue as the OP?

• Are you not able to find “view all” in the troubleshooter window?

• If you are facing the similar issue as the OP, did you try the suggestion posted
      emTrebe’s?

If you do not find “view all”, follow the steps below to run the
    Search and Indexing troubleshooter
    and check if the issue is resolved.

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type
      troubleshooter and select the top most search result.

• Click on System and security
      from the right side panel of the screen.

• Select Search and Indexing,
      click on Advanced option and check Apply repairs automatically
      option.

• Follow the on screen instructions and wait for the troubleshooting to complete.

• After the troubleshooting is complete, close the window and check if the changes are effective.

If haven’t tried, follow the suggestion posted by emTrebe on
    May 11, 2016 and check if it helps in resolving the issue.

Write to us for further assistance on search function not working on the computer for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Sep 3, 2019
  4. djolson Win User

Windows 10 Search not working, Build 10240 After Sysprep

I work in a school district and have started testing Windows 10 and making images. The problem I am having is that after setting the computer up and sysprepping it to be deployed on other computers, when I put it on another computer the search function and cortana don't work at all. I can see the search at the bottom left, but clicking on it does nothing. The start menu works fine (I have seen posts where someones start menu does't work in conjunction with the search not working). It is just the search function that will not work. Below are the steps I use to customize the computer...

1. Install Windows 10 from cd
    2. Enter Audit mode with CTRL + SHIFT + F3 after installation to customize
    3. Customize the computer the way I want it
    4. Sysprep the computer (sysprepe.exe /oobe /shutdown /generalize /unattend:myunattendfile)
    5. Capture the image.

I have done this two different times now (full installs and customized), and both times the search function is broken after putting the image on a computer. I do not even see cortana listed anywhere in the C:\Programfiles\WindowsApps. I have tried running the suggested command "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest*.xml"}" and it doesn;t fix the search function. Windows key + S doesn't do anything either. Has anyone experienced this issue? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Dustin

djolson, Sep 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 search function not working - Similar Threads - search function working

2. Windows Search function not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search function not working: On my Win 11 PC the search is not working. When I click on the search icon in the lower left, nothing happens. If I click on the Windows key and then try to type in the area which says "Type Here to search" nothing happens except that a Win 11 app is highlighted.Please advise...
  3. Windows Search function not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search function not working: On my Win 11 PC the search is not working. When I click on the search icon in the lower left, nothing happens. If I click on the Windows key and then try to type in the area which says "Type Here to search" nothing happens except that a Win 11 app is highlighted.Please advise...
  4. Search function not working on windows 10.

in Cortana
    Search function not working on windows 10.: Hello everyone, I have a question about the search function not working on windows 10.It is not working in the Windows Start, not in the search iconcrashing in a couple of seconds, not in Windows Explorer. Things that I've tried :-Restarting Search service both in task...
  5. Search function not working on windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search function not working on windows 10.: Hello everyone, I have a question about the search function not working on windows 10.It is not working in the Windows Start, not in the search iconcrashing in a couple of seconds, not in Windows Explorer. Things that I've tried :-Restarting Search service both in task...
  6. Search function not working on windows 10.

7. Search function not working

Search function not working: Today my search function stopped working. When i try to type something in the search bar, it just crashes - same thing when i try to look for something in the file explorer or just by pressing windows key and typing.I have tried to solve it for the past couple hours, tried...
  8. Searching function not working

in Cortana
    Searching function not working: Hello, My PC is in Win10. While I would like to open an app e.g calculator, I push win key then type "Calculator" but the searching box doesn't show anything like it does before: [ATTACH] How to fix this?...
  9. Windows 10 search function is not working.

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search function is not working.: Nothing happens when I try to use the search function on my Windows 10 laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-function-is-not-working/f240d2f8-7f03-4e53-a915-6fcb7004e352"
  10. Search function not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Search function not working: Hello, When I type anything in the search, nothing shows up. really frustrating, what can I do to fix it? Thanks 28935

Users found this page by searching for:

1. search box will not work in windows 10 work