Windows 10: Windows 10 search index not running

Discus and support Windows 10 search index not running in Cortana to solve the problem; Have tried running DISM, SFC and CHKDSK Have searched all over internet and have tried everything I have seen so far. I just can't get the file... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Rob59scot, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Rob59scot Win User

Windows 10 search index not running

Have tried running DISM, SFC and CHKDSK

Have searched all over internet and have tried everything I have seen so far. I just can't get the file indexing to run.

:)

Rob59scot, Jan 10, 2019
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

Search - Indexing not running

Hello,

One of the possible reasons why you're having issues when using search is because of a corrupted user profile. For us to assist you, we suggest that you create another account with administrator privileges and try to use the search feature again. Here's an
    article that you can visit to see how to do it:
    Create a local user or administrator account in Windows 10

If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the steps listed below to correct the settings of your Indexed folder:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type %LocalAppData%.
    • Select Packages.
    • Click on windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy.
    • Choose LocalState.
    • Right-click the Indexed folder.
    • Click Properties.
    • Click Advanced.
    • Click the checkbox beside Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties so that a check mark appears.
    • Click OK.
    • Click Apply.
    • Click OK. A window with a progress bar will pop up as the folder is indexed.
    • Click OK when the indexing progress is finished.

After doing the steps provided, kindly try to use the search feature again.

Kindly update us with the results and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Jan 10, 2019
  3. Windows 10 search index not running

Hello,

Thank you for posting you query in Microsoft Community. Your interest on Windows 10 is appreciated.

I can understand the inconvenience that you are facing with the issue. We are glad to help you.

I would suggest you to try the following methods:

Method 1: Search and Indexing Troubleshooter

Run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter to diagnose the exact issue.

Follow the steps mentioned below.

• a. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • b. Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • c. Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • d. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2:

I suggest you to perform system file checker. Follow the steps below which will help you:

• Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow
    The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that is located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.

You can follow the steps in the following article:

System file check (SFC) Scan and Repair System Files & DISM to fix things SFC cannot

Hope this resolves your issue. Feel free to get back to us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Jenith_James, Jan 10, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Windows 10 search not indexing Outlook 2013, no search results

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in using Windows 10.

Let's diagnose the issue by referring to the following suggestion and check if that helps you.

First of all, I would suggest you to check if the
    Windows Search
    Service is running in Automatic mode under the list of Windows services. You can follow the steps to check and start the
    Windows Search again:

• Press Windows+R keys to open Run. Type “servces.msc” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • From the list of services, locate the Windows Search Support Service
      and Windows Search Service.
    • Right click on the Windows Search Service
      and then click on Properties.
    • Check if the service is running. If not, start the service and change the
      Startup type to Automatic.
    • Follow the same steps to start the Bluetooth service
      and change the startup type to Automatic.
    You can also try the following suggestion.

Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. Follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance.

Arul_D, Jan 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Windows 10 search index not running - Similar Threads - search index running

2. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Index: Hi,When I search my computer, I can find files with the word I'm searching for. But what I want to find is the contents of office files that have the word I searched for. So I want to add the contents of office files to the search index.In the search index advanced settings...
  3. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search Index: Hi,When I search my computer, I can find files with the word I'm searching for. But what I want to find is the contents of office files that have the word I searched for. So I want to add the contents of office files to the search index.In the search index advanced settings...
  4. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: hello the search in taskbar stopped working for some reason it i think crashes when i type or click on something in it, i have tried running the trouble shooter multiple times nothing, did this thing with power shell still nothing, did the w + r and then command Still nothing...
  5. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: 1 my windows search does not search the d directory. 2 it happened at once that my index stopped working, when i go to the settings is crashes, i have tried all methods like run, command prompt, and at the end i restarted windows from iso, now i don't know what else i can...
  6. Windows 10 not searching or indexing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 not searching or indexing: No indexing, so I sfc /scannow ,dism etc, rebuild, re-ran windows 20H2,restoro,restore, and still indexing will not come around. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-not-searching-or-indexing/db14f97d-377c-4769-8105-3edae83ce2b5
  7. Window search and indexing

in Cortana
    Window search and indexing: I can only fine file names if i type a word in search box but i want to find indexed file content and files which contain the word i type. I tried to solve in many ways such as rebuilding indexes and changing permissions but nothing got different. I don't have such problems...
  8. Windows Search & Indexing not running

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Search & Indexing not running: I'm running Win 10 Pro and Windows Search and Indexing are not running. I can't turn them on. I'm thinking my only recourse is to reload Windows, but I don't want to end up with the same problem again. Any advice?...
  9. Windows Search and Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search and Indexing: When I rebuild the index, I get the message "indexing complete" after a couple of hours, but only 4,000 files are indexed, which is only a small percentage of the total number of files in the directories I've listed for indexing. One directory contains over 10,000 files, a...
  10. windows 10 search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows 10 search and indexing: Search is not working in File Explorer Windows 10. When I use Control Panel for Indexing Options I have no one included location after very long waiting. Nothing changed here after I use Rebuild in Advanced: no included location again. I did Stop and Restart of Windows Search...