Windows 10: Windows 10 Search Indexing does not search my Start Menu Programs

Discus and support Windows 10 Search Indexing does not search my Start Menu Programs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So as the title says my Windows Search doesn't search through my start menu programs. This issue started yesterday out of nowhere. Recent changes I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by eliasbenb, Jul 4, 2020.

1. eliasbenb Win User

Windows 10 Search Indexing does not search my Start Menu Programs

So as the title says my Windows Search doesn't search through my start menu programs.

This issue started yesterday out of nowhere. Recent changes I've done to my laptop recently are:
    - Formatted my laptop (1 week ago)
    - Ran every script in GitHub - W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10: A collection of Scripts which disable / remove Windows 10 Features and Apps (1 week ago)
    - Installed Notepad++ (yesterday)

It's also important to note I'm running Windows 10 Pro Insider (Beta Channel)

Something I've noticed is that I can find the 'Spotify' shortcut when searching, which is located in C:\Users\elias\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but anything else in that folder can't be found.

Photos of my indexing options:

Windows 10 Search Indexing does not search my Start Menu Programs [​IMG]

Thanks for any help.

:)

eliasbenb, Jul 4, 2020
  2. Arul_D Win User

Start Menu Search Not Displaying Local / Windows Programs

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable to search Windows programs on your computer, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the below troubleshooting steps and check:

Method 1: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks to see whether you
    have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search box from the desktop.

• Select the Troubleshooting option.

• Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing

• Click on Next to perform the Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.
    Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Arul_D, Jul 4, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Windows 10 search not indexing Outlook 2013, no search results

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in using Windows 10.

Let's diagnose the issue by referring to the following suggestion and check if that helps you.

First of all, I would suggest you to check if the
    Windows Search
    Service is running in Automatic mode under the list of Windows services. You can follow the steps to check and start the
    Windows Search again:

• Press Windows+R keys to open Run. Type “servces.msc” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • From the list of services, locate the Windows Search Support Service
      and Windows Search Service.
    • Right click on the Windows Search Service
      and then click on Properties.
    • Check if the service is running. If not, start the service and change the
      Startup type to Automatic.
    • Follow the same steps to start the Bluetooth service
      and change the startup type to Automatic.
    You can also try the following suggestion.

Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. Follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance.

Arul_D, Jul 4, 2020
  4. Arun B J Win User

Windows 10 Windows Search / Indexing Stops Completing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Windows Search
    • Restart the services and set the service as Automatic
    If the issue persist try performing Rebuilding Index again.

To rebuild the index follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
    • Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
    • Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
    • Select Rebuild in the Troubleshooting section of the Advanced Options window.
    • Select OK when it asks if you’re sure you want to re-build the search index.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Jul 4, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Search Indexing does not search my Start Menu Programs - Similar Threads - Search Indexing does

2. Start Menu Program Search Broken

in Cortana
    Start Menu Program Search Broken: When I attempt to search for newly installed programs via the start menu search, they do not appear. Uninstalled programs will also still show in the results after having been removed. I have tried restarting the windows search service, restarting windows explorer,...
  3. Search indexing wont start.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Search indexing wont start.: Yesterday I tried searching my files. It took forever so I looked it up. It turns out I needed to enable search indexing. It kept starting and stopping so I went to trouble shoot. It just said it wasn't running so I turned it on manually and got this error. This service...
  4. Windows Index search menu not visible

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Index search menu not visible: Version 1909 (OS Build 18363.693) When doing a windows index search in File Explorer; clicking in the search box doesn't show the search tab on the menu until after you perform a search. Previously when you clicked in the search box the Search Menu would appear allowing you...
  5. Programs in Start menu not listed in search results

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Programs in Start menu not listed in search results: I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I'm still trying to get used to everything that's changed since 7. I'm used to being able to just hit the Windows key on my keyboard to bring up the Start menu, start typing the name of a program that I know has a shortcut in the start menu,...
  6. Start Menu search does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu search does not work: Hello, After one of more recent Windows 10 updates my Start Menu search has stopped working. When I search for anything it does not display any results. The rest of Start Menu seems to be working fine - although it's very hard to find things manually. How can I fix this? My...
  7. Windows 10 - Start menu search

in Cortana
    Windows 10 - Start menu search: When I search for a folder by typing the name in the start menu, how can I then go to a subfolder without having to open the folder, e.g. I am trying to get to the following file documents/pictures/holidays/summer holiday 2018. I know I can just type on summer holidays...
  8. Windows 10 start menu search programs only

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 start menu search programs only: When you open the start menu, is there a way that when you start typing, it displays only programs installed starting with those letters? Or at least show more than just the top 3 options? In windows 8.1 you could have just your programs displayed, and typing would only...
  9. Still no program search support in Start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Still no program search support in Start menu search: I'm still having to use Stardock Start10 to use the keyboard to find non-store-app programs. Whenever I use the native Start menu and use the keyboard to enter the non-store-app program name it only finds useless hits among documents and junk (I have Bing disabled otherwise...
  10. Windows 10 Start Menu Search Bar Not Showing Programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Start Menu Search Bar Not Showing Programs: I have been having a problem with my start menu in Windows 10! When I search up a program like "Paint" or "Photoshop" it does not show up! However, built-in apps such as "Settings" and "Edge" show up! I have tried rebuilding the search index with no luck so far! I...