Windows 10: Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match"

Discus and support Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match" in Cortana to solve the problem; Within the last couple of days, Windows search Best Match has become defective. For instance, when I used to type "scree", my screenshots folder would... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by RickB624, Jan 1, 2019.

1. RickB624 Win User

Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match"

Within the last couple of days, Windows search Best Match has become defective. For instance, when I used to type "scree", my screenshots folder would be at the top of the best match results. Now I type "scree", and it gives me the Best Match of Screenshot (181).png, and it also shows it in the search space, as if it finished typing it for me, but everything after "scree" is faded. Furthermore, when I type "screen", it shows my Best Match as "Lock Screen settings", and still doesn't list my Screenshots folder. In fact, the only way I can get it to show my Screenshots folder at all is if I type "screensho" or more. This never used to happen. The only change to my laptop recently was the installation and uninstallation of Malwarebytes free trial. I uninstalled it with IObit, ran CCleaner, AND restarted, and the Best Match is still wonky.

:)

RickB624, Jan 1, 2019
  2. grschinon Win User

Mobile Search will not find all matching contacts

That's an interesting find.

I can confirm that on the N96 at least, if a contact has multiple numbers that match the search pattern, only the first one will be listed in the search results.

grschinon, Jan 1, 2019
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

enso, Jan 1, 2019
  4. Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match"

Where is "Find partial matches" in Windows 10 Search options?

In Windows 7 and 8 "Find partial matches" could be switched off, so one was able to search for exact matches only in Windows Explorer. This option could be found in "Folder and search options" --> tab "Search". I don't see this option in Windows 10. So now
    by default searching in Windows 10 is always partial, but that's not what I want. I want it to be switched off.

Has this function disappeared from Windows 10? (Btw, I don't mean searching using double quotes, as this wil not always find the exact term).

Thanx!

Raymond Westerik, Jan 1, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match"

1. Windows 10 search not finding "Best Match" - Similar Threads - search finding Best

2. Broken links in "Best Match" search results

in Cortana
    Broken links in "Best Match" search results: Hi,For a long time now I've had problems with search in Windows 10. I'm currently on build 18363. I have web results turned off via gpe and I do not want to use Cortana.The issue: Searching in the task bar often returns dead links. Even for MS Edge. It looks something like...
  3. Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Posted on Microsoft Community, but all I got was "update your system", "run the troubleshooter", and "run sfc". Here's my problem: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it...
  4. Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour

in Cortana
    Windows Search Best Match Erratic Behaviour: Windows Search behaves differently every time I use it and it drives me insane. I open my applications via Windows Search, and sometimes it gets the job done and sometimes it does not. One example of problem: https://streamable.com/c5tlkq I turn on my laptop, press Win,...
  5. Best match not showing after searching for anything

in Cortana
    Best match not showing after searching for anything: Hey, all of the sudden when I search for anything on the search bar it stopped showing the result for best match, I used to be able for example to type in "calc" and it would show the calculator and I just needed to press enter to open it, now I need to manually click on it...
  6. [Start Search] Disable Best Match Result Preview?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    [Start Search] Disable Best Match Result Preview?: Hi all, Just updated in the first time after probably 2 years (couldn't update before, long story), and i notice that the start search is now way wider and has this really annoying preview option that's essentially useless. How do i disable that? (through registry editing,...
  7. Windows Explorer search - find the exact match

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer search - find the exact match: I'm serching for files that has the 1 appended to the name If I enter "1" the search returns all files that has "1" in the name. How to turn off this annoying behavior?...
  8. Can't click "Best Match" on Start Menu Search

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click "Best Match" on Start Menu Search: Hi, Today my "Control Panel" apps/shortcuts on the Start Menu search have stopped working. Happened half way through the morning after installing a new printer. Examples: [img] None of the above items work when clicked (except the items which cause a menu, e.g....
  9. Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Search not finding files in best match from the Start Menu: Every time I open the start menu and type a few characters of a file I'm looking for Windows doesn't find it. For example if I type 'art' Windows shows me the Paint app whereas I am looking for a file in my documents that contains the word 'Art', now if I click the find...
  10. Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't click on results of "Best match" in Windows search (Win10): Hi all, I need help because this is driving me crazy. Suddenly I can't click (or press enter) on most icons best match suggests as they seem to be dead. It seems to be mostly app-related since I can't do it for matches like Chrome, Drive, Word... but it seems to be...