Windows 10: Windows 10 search not finding Control Panel items

Discus and support Windows 10 search not finding Control Panel items in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 10 is not finding any Control Panel items when I search for them in the taskbar search. On Windows 7 I could type in "Printers" and it would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by win10sceptic, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Windows 10 search not finding Control Panel items

Windows 10 is not finding any Control Panel items when I search for them in the taskbar search.

On Windows 7 I could type in "Printers" and it would find the "Add / Remove Printer" option. Or I could type "Programs" and it would find the "Programs and Features" Control Panel item. But not in Windows 10, as seen below.

Windows 10 search not finding Control Panel items [​IMG]

How can I get this feature back? If this is not a bug then Microsoft have seriously downgraded the search bar, which was very useful in Windows 7.

:)

win10sceptic, Sep 7, 2015
  2. GMJ3 Win User

Start and Settings window does not show complete device and other system application settings, only Control panel items are shown on Windows 10.

Original Title: start / settings / search not showing settings - only control panel items

This is a brand new Windows 10 computer. Start / settings search originally worked fine, but now it does not.

If I type any type of entry into the "find a setting" box, all that shows up in the search results are control panel items, but no settings.

For instance, if I type "Win" in the search box, instead of getting the items with the gears to the left of them such as Windows Defender settings, Windows Update settings, etc., I only get a single "gear" item which is Add or remove programs, and the rest
    are control panel items such as Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, etc. which have the control panel icons next to them.

I have run the troubleshooter for indexing items (no luck), ran the command prompt routine for sfc /scannow, and nothing was found or solved.

In the Start / Settings dialogue box, I have all the System, Devices, Network & Internet, etc. items, but if I click on Devices and type mouse into the search box, all that shows up are the control panel icons and items. On my other computer, this same
    search results in the "gear" items, starting with Ease of Access mouse settings, Mouse & touchpad settings, etc.

Where are all the missing items, and why are only the control panel items showing up rather than the settings items?

GMJ3, Sep 7, 2015
  3. sveinan Win User
    Immersive Control Panel items not shown in search (workaround & behavior)

Quick update,

Have tested problem above with version 1511 (build 10586) of Windows 10.
    Looks to be solved. Tested two variants. Upgrade through Windows Update on affected build 10240 system. Clean install of 1511 (build 10586) ISO. In both cases reindex of Immersive Control Panel folder resulted in both classic and immersive
    items in searches (OK).

If for some reason anyone wants to provoke problem at this stage. Don't know why you would Windows 10 search not finding Control Panel items :) Install clean build 10240 (without network, no Windows Update). Get hold of and install KB3105210 in offline mode (Microsoft
    Update Catalog
    ). Reboot. Reindex Immersive Control Panel folder. Search problems will appear (only classic items, no immersive, FAIL/BUG).

sveinan, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Windows 10 search not finding Control Panel items

Right-click the Start button and you will find some of the Control Panel items and Control Panel itself, click on one.

Berton, Sep 7, 2015
  5. puppydays Win User
    It's a bug, I posted a week ago with the same problem and still haven't found a solution, if you look at my post i have screenshots of it working on a friend's PC but not mine:

https://www.tenforums.com/general-dis...earch-bar.html

there something seriously wrong with the windows 10 search, hopefully it'll get fixed to be more consistent

puppydays, Sep 7, 2015
  6. Thanks for letting me know. This issue has been persistent for me, but the search feature in Windows 10 seems to be very inconsistent and poor when compared to Windows 7.

Have you - or anyone else - reported this bug to Microsoft? I am going to use their Feedback App to do so if not.

7. Question for you.. are you using Cortana? Have you disabled it?

Search seems to be very tied up with Cortana and I am wondering if I am getting this issue because I have disabled it.

8. lx07 Win User

How did you disable it? I've not done anything with Cortana and the search works for me...

lx07, Sep 7, 2015
  9. I should say that I cannot recall this working before I disabled Cortana, it was just a guess.

I disabled Cortana and various other privacy features in Settings > Privacy:

• Location - apps not allowed to use location
    • Speech, inking & typing - clicked "stop getting to know me"
    • Account info - turned it off
    • Messaging - apps cannot read or send messages

10. caperjack Win User
    I must me missing something .. your picture shows it found the desktop app default programs ,and that what mine finds when I type in programs ,,click on it and it go to the control panel , I'm still running insider preview 10532

caperjack, Sep 7, 2015
  11. dencal Win User
    Try clicking on All Settings bottom right hand corner....type in what you want in "Find a setting" at top....easy peasy.

dencal, Sep 7, 2015
  12. This is the expected result:

That works and gives me what I want, but in Windows 7 all these search results were available in the Start Menu search. A previous poster can get this, as demonstrated by the above image.

13. OldMike65 Win User

Well when I typed "printers" in the search windows icon on my taskbar, it displayed my default printer at the top. So, it works for me no problem.

OldMike65, Sep 7, 2015
  14. puppydays Win User
    I believe Cortana Has nothing to do with it because on both my friend's laptop and mine it is disable automatically (because we live in Canada and its not supported here) but search works fine on my friend's laptop but not mine as seen in the screenshots

puppydays, Sep 7, 2015
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    I have Cortana off, turned it off on 1st week of installing win 10. Have no use for it. Search works just fine for me. I don't use the Start Menu, the windows search is located right next to the start menu.

OldMike65, Sep 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 search not finding Control Panel items - Similar Threads - search finding Control

2. Windows 10 Search Does Not Find Any Settings or Control Panel Items

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Does Not Find Any Settings or Control Panel Items: This issue is an old issue, but all the older threads are locked, so I created a new one to share what worked for me. In my administrator account, I created a new Windows 10 user. You have the option of creating a local user so it doesn't require a Microsoft email address....
  3. Where are the old Control Panel items?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where are the old Control Panel items?: Does anyone know how i can get the old Control Panel applets/menus in Windows 10 like Display and Default Programs? I know how to get the old Personalisation settings, i just wondered where the rest of the Control Panel pages have gone. Also btw sorry for the terrible...
  4. Control Panel; MAIL item missing

in Windows 10 Customization
    Control Panel; MAIL item missing: Windows10\1809.... The Control Panel...option "Mail" is missing. Its the option you click on and open to view your Mail "Profile". I am having issues with Outlook and need to open Control Panel\MAIL as it may be the cause of the Issue. Anyway to get MAIL back in...
  5. Windows Search Not Finding Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Search Not Finding Items: [img] Windows doesn't work correctly. I am trying to find OneDrive app but its only showing the folder. Any idea? By the way, i already tried to rebuild my search index but still doesn't work. 123134
  6. Locating the GUID of an item in Control Panel

Locating the GUID of an item in Control Panel: Hi Guys, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, so I now have an item (Windows 7 Backup & Recovery) in my control panel. I'd like to know the GUID for this Windows 7 Backup & Recovery item. Is there a way I can achieve that? Regards, Andrew 51469
  7. Difference in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization

Difference in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization: Good evening, I've noticed a difference in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Personalization between editions of Windows 10. My wife's laptop is running Windows 10 Home, and her personalization screen looks like this: [img] I'm running Windows 10...
  8. Cannot Open Items In Control Panel

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot Open Items In Control Panel: good day i just installed win 10 fall update and have run into one issue which is i cannot open most items in the control panel, rightclick on pc and clicking properties does not open the properties page, had to fix gpedit. i am assuming all of this in interrelated since i'm...
  9. Hide Specified Control Panel Items in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide Specified Control Panel Items in Windows: How to: Hide Specified Control Panel Items in Windows [img] Information You can use Control Panel to change settings for Windows. These settings control nearly everything about how Windows looks and works, and you can use them to set up Windows so that it's just right for...
  10. List of Commands to Open Control Panel Items in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    List of Commands to Open Control Panel Items in Windows 10: How to: List of Commands to Open Control Panel Items in Windows 10 [img] Information In Windows 10, there are a few different ways to find and change your settings: app settings, and search. Most of the settings that you'll want to change can be found in the Settings app....