Windows 10: Windows 10 Search Not Offering Complete Results

Discus and support Windows 10 Search Not Offering Complete Results in Cortana to solve the problem; When I search for something using Windows Search it works. The start menu pops up with all the little helpful things it offers, and many times works... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by yak27, Dec 31, 2018.

1. yak27 Win User

Windows 10 Search Not Offering Complete Results

When I search for something using Windows Search it works. The start menu pops up with all the little helpful things it offers, and many times works just as expected. But. But sometimes when searching for an App or whatever (I see it with Apps, I don't typically remember my file names) the result doesn't come up. Sometimes, I might get the installation file, but not the App. Then I'll get fed up and I'll manually find executable and manually add the App via creating a shortcut in the Start Menu folder, which works - for that App.

I rebuilt the index and this issue persists through the October Update.

That's the issue and I'm writing this under a form entitled "Ask a Question" so the question is how can this be resolved (I've tried all the stuff I could find online over several times I've gotten annoyed about it. So this might just be a bug report or give me something good).

Thanks

:)

yak27, Dec 31, 2018

2. Disable Web Search Results in Windows 10 Start Menu

Hi Taira,

Disabling web results in the search box depends on the version and build of your Windows 10. We suggest checking the Windows 10 version and build installed on your computer. To check the version and build, follow the steps below:

• On Cortana search, type winver and press
      Enter
    • A pop-up box will appear containing the version and build of your operating system.

Meanwhile, you can try these steps on how to disable web results in the search box:

• Click the search box in the taskbar.
    • Select the Notebook icon
      Windows 10 Search Not Offering Complete Results a0c1fa7c-1198-4621-a19b-ece827a34a33.png

in the left pane.
    • Click Settings from the list.
    • In the Settings page, turn off the Cortana can give you suggestions, ideas, reminders, alerts and more option.
    • Also, turn off the Search online and include web results option.

If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to reach out.

Gerard Qui, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Arul_D Win User
    Windows 10 search not indexing Outlook 2013, no search results

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in using Windows 10.

Let's diagnose the issue by referring to the following suggestion and check if that helps you.

First of all, I would suggest you to check if the
    Windows Search
    Service is running in Automatic mode under the list of Windows services. You can follow the steps to check and start the
    Windows Search again:

• Press Windows+R keys to open Run. Type “servces.msc” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    • From the list of services, locate the Windows Search Support Service
      and Windows Search Service.
    • Right click on the Windows Search Service
      and then click on Properties.
    • Check if the service is running. If not, start the service and change the
      Startup type to Automatic.
    • Follow the same steps to start the Bluetooth service
      and change the startup type to Automatic.
    You can also try the following suggestion.

Run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. Follow the steps mentioned below.

• Press “Windows key + W”.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Search box and hit enter.
    • Select “View all” option from the left panel.
    • Select “Search and Indexing”.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
    Hope this information helps you. Please do let us know if you need further assistance.

Arul_D, Jan 10, 2020
  4. Windows 10 Search Not Offering Complete Results

Search Results

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

Please do let us know where exactly are you searching for the photos.

Are you searching on Windows search bar from desktop or Windows Explorer or Photo app?

If you are searching on Photo app try the below,

Step 1: I suggest you to run the
    Windows Store Apps troubleshooter.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter,
    troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

Follow the below steps:

• Type troubleshooting in the search bar on the Taskbar.
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Select View all on the top left corner.
    • Click on Windows Store Apps.
    • Select “Advance” and click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

If you are searching on Windows Explorer or Search box try the below,

Step 2: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks
    to see whether you have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the
      Search box from the desktop.
    • Select the Troubleshooting option.
    • Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing.
    • Click on Next to perform the
      Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to assist you further.

Deepika Gowda, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 Search Not Offering Complete Results

1. Windows 10 Search Not Offering Complete Results - Similar Threads - Search Offering Complete

2. Windows 10 search results out of order

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search results out of order: I have several external drives and network drives connected to my computer, when I use search from my computer, it shows results out of order. In other words. Network shares show up first, then D:, E: and finally C:how is this behavior controlled, and how do I adjust the sort...
  3. Windows 10 search results out of order

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 search results out of order: I have several external drives and network drives connected to my computer, when I use search from my computer, it shows results out of order. In other words. Network shares show up first, then D:, E: and finally C:how is this behavior controlled, and how do I adjust the sort...
  4. Cortana will not open apps, it now only offers Bing search results.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cortana will not open apps, it now only offers Bing search results.: I am on Windows 10. Cortana now either gives me Bing results or says "Sorry, I'm not able to help with that" whenever I ask it do anything. If I say "Open Word" it simply gives a list of things to do to open word. If I say "Set a timer for 3 minutes" or "remind me to phone...
  5. Windows 10 Search Bar Web Search returns no results

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Bar Web Search returns no results: My Surface can no longer search the web from the search bar. It still works perfectly fine for local file search, but it will not search the web....
  6. Search Results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Results: When I search my Documents directory, I often get results from .css, .js etc when really all I want are folders, .html, .pdf How to I stop the .css, .js files appearing in the search results? I know I can apply filters afterwards but having to do so when all I want to do...
  7. Windows 10 Search Not Returning Results

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Not Returning Results: Hello, The Windows 10 Search function has stopped working. I checked online for the basic troubleshooting and nothing resolved the problem. I will list specifics of the system below. Thanks in advance to any assistance with this search issue. Windows 10 Pro is installed on...
  8. Windows 10 Settings Search No Results

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Settings Search No Results: When i try to search something in Windows 10's Settings at that search box nothing shows up, no results. Any solutions? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-settings-search-no-results/e1cdce7a-1131-48e8-ab53-d7bc2f2e0d32
  9. Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned: Windows 10 search bar returns no results. If I restart the Windows Seach service then Search will provided results once before failing again. I have done the following:- Updated Windows Restarted Cortana Changed Pagefile parameters Unistalled Bullguard Anti-virus The...
  10. Search box in Windows 10- No results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search box in Windows 10- No results: Hi When I open a folder in Windows 10 File Explorer, and I click on the search box and type in a folder that I want, It tells me NO ITEMS MATCH YOUR SEARCH But it's crazy because I can see the document I want right in front of me in that folder but when I try search it...