Windows 10: Windows 10 - search not working and file explorer keeps crashing

Discus and support Windows 10 - search not working and file explorer keeps crashing in Cortana to solve the problem; Hi! My windows search bar doesn't work, it automatically closes when I try to open it, also when I click on windows logo on the bottom left it... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by blazNJ, Dec 22, 2020.

1. blazNJ Win User

Windows 10 - search not working and file explorer keeps crashing

Hi!

My windows search bar doesn't work, it automatically closes when I try to open it, also when I click on windows logo on the bottom left it automatically closes the start popup. I cant open pictures or videos it says file system error -2147163901, and my file explorer keeps crashing I presume in a way that if I have any file explorer windows open they just crash and in that moment also my taskbar crashes and restarts icons disappear for a few second and reappear and it forces me out of full screen app or taskbar appears in the bottom while I'm using full screen app. This taskbar/file explorer crash happens every 20 minutes and after like 3 crashes also my background goes to black. I tried pretty much everything I could find on internet, like in command prompt I ran sfc /scannow, I tried resetting indexing options, I tried creating new regedit in search category,...

Any suggestions, I'm really out of ideas what more could I try here?

Thanks for any tips and suggestions.

:)

blazNJ, Dec 22, 2020

2. File Explorer Search Not Working

I am trying to search in File Explorer (Windows Explorer, My Computer) and it will not find anything. I can copy text from a name in the list and paste it in the search box and it still finds nothing. I have looked at the suggestions that have been posted and nothing I find that is relative to this works. Anyone have any suggestions? I am running Win 10 Pro on an I3 coustom desktop computer.

Maestro2711, Dec 22, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 22, 2020
  4. Gencijs Win User

File explorer keeps crashing in Win 10

Hello,

I did the steps you wrote. All the settings were as you suggested. The File Explorer keeps crashing.

Gencijs, Dec 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows 10 - search not working and file explorer keeps crashing - Similar Threads - search working file

2. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Cortana
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  3. File explorer search and windows search not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File explorer search and windows search not working: After I did dskchk /r in cmd it replaced some bad cluster filesAnd the window search and file explorer search is not working and I can't type any thing in it The window search is running and I did a troubleshoot ,it said that it's fixed but it's not....
  4. Windows search & file explorer search not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows search & file explorer search not working: Hi,I recently built a new PC with a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro.When setting up my preferences, I turned off Cortana in regedit and in gpedit because I dislike the feature. After this, my search functions in my Windows aswell as in my file explorer stopped working...
  5. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing: Description Faulting Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: explorer.exe Application Version: 10.0.19041.488 Application Timestamp: b1a44bf9 Fault Module Name: shcore.dll Fault Module...
  6. Windows file explorer keep searching

Windows file explorer keep searching: Hi, it's been a couple of weeks now and I keep having this issue. I have tried many things after checking online for solutions but nothing seems to work. the problem is the below: when I first open a folder usually everything goes fine and I can see all the files in it...
  7. Windows File Explorer keeps crashing when searching for tags

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows File Explorer keeps crashing when searching for tags: i have around 1200+ files tagged every one with 1 or more than 20 tags each when i search for at least one tag in file explorer it shows some results than it crashes if i go to a folder where there is only few files it doesn't crash but when i go back to the parent folder it...
  8. Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 File Explorer keeps crashing: Hi. My File Explorer app keeps crashing and doesn't allow me to copy or open my files. Very frustrating, yet intermittent problem. Any idea how to fix this problem? When I query the crash, I get the following info: Description A problem caused this program to stop...
  9. File Explorer crashes when searching Windows 10

File Explorer crashes when searching Windows 10: When I look for some term in the "search in quick access" in windows explorer, after writing some letters, it crashes and then the explorer returns after some seconds. I have Windows 10 updated....
  10. Explorer Search keeps Crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer Search keeps Crashing: Hi, In File Explorer, if I type in search field the word "trad" the Explorer Crashes after few seconds of searching and all the Desktop crashes too and resets. Instead, if I type only the first 3 letters ("tra") it does work, no crash. What is that? 70124