Windows 10: Windows 10 Search not working, Build 10240 After Sysprep

Discus and support Windows 10 Search not working, Build 10240 After Sysprep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I work in a school district and have started testing Windows 10 and making images. The problem I am having is that after setting the computer up and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by djolson, Aug 11, 2015.

1. djolson Win User

Windows 10 Search not working, Build 10240 After Sysprep

I work in a school district and have started testing Windows 10 and making images. The problem I am having is that after setting the computer up and sysprepping it to be deployed on other computers, when I put it on another computer the search function and cortana don't work at all. I can see the search at the bottom left, but clicking on it does nothing. The start menu works fine (I have seen posts where someones start menu does't work in conjunction with the search not working). It is just the search function that will not work. Below are the steps I use to customize the computer...

1. Install Windows 10 from cd
    2. Enter Audit mode with CTRL + SHIFT + F3 after installation to customize
    3. Customize the computer the way I want it
    4. Sysprep the computer (sysprepe.exe /oobe /shutdown /generalize /unattend:myunattendfile)
    5. Capture the image.

I have done this two different times now (full installs and customized), and both times the search function is broken after putting the image on a computer. I do not even see cortana listed anywhere in the C:\Programfiles\WindowsApps. I have tried running the suggested command "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest*.xml"}" and it doesn;t fix the search function. Windows key + S doesn't do anything either. Has anyone experienced this issue? Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Dustin

:)

djolson, Aug 11, 2015
  2. Matt_13MW Win User

Windows 10 November Update (1511) not showing up in windows update

Attempted to upgrade using media creation tool failed. The OS reverted back to build 10240 with the error "the installation failed in the first boot phase with an error during sysprep operation"

Not very helpful.

Matt_13MW, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Windows 10 build 10240: settings search not working

This worked for me:

The problem may occur when you add a second user profile and it's because the settings aren't indexed properly.

1. In Windows Explorer, go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState

2. Right click on the Indexed folder and select Properties. Click Advanced.

3. Uncheck the 'allow files in the folder to have contents indexed....' and click ok and choose apply to subfolders and files too

4. Right click the 'Indexed' folder again and click advanced. Check the checkbox you just unchecked.

I didn't need to restart, but you might need to. Within one minute, the settings were indexed and the search working properly.

veevandyke, Aug 11, 2015
  4. djolson Win User

The issue was found to be Microsoft Updates that broke the search function. So technically speaking, the issue is not solved, but there is a workaround by deleting MS updates.Below is the link to the thread where the issue was found. I have a comment on that thread that shows what was further found. Basically removing the updates before or after imaging the computer will fix the search issue with ALL accounts.

Link to thread - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...tml#post339060

Dustin

djolson, Aug 12, 2015
  5. Thompsont Win User
    Hey Dustin I tried to PM you but I dont have enough post yet. My name is Travis, and I'm with a schools district as well and we are just now playing with 10. Have you found away to complete get rid of some of the apps like xbox, and the store? When I use the powershell command like Get-AppxPackage *xboxapp* | Remove-AppxPackage, it removes the app. But after the machine is sysprep they are all back again. Thanks in advance for all your help and will take any info you find beneficial with customizing windows 10 to fit schools district needs. Thank You!

Thompsont, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Search not working, Build 10240 After Sysprep - Similar Threads - Search working Build

2. Build 10240

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Build 10240: So basically im still on the build 10240 and tried updating my computer, i got the error code 0x80240fff and tried updating it with the update assistant that i could download, but that didnt work and was told to restart my pc and try again did that and it still didnt work.....
  3. Windows 10 Build 10240 won't upgrade.

Windows 10 Build 10240 won't upgrade.: Greetings, I have a windows 10 version 10.0 (10240) build that won't upgrade. I wanted to use the .NET framework 4.7.2 which wouldn't install due to the operating system not being supported. I have then tried the online assistant, the media creation tool to upgrade and to...
  4. win 10 build 10240

win 10 build 10240: O/S will not update NVIDIA display 23.21.13.8813, then claims featured update win 10 1803... even rebooted system. Thks. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-build-10240/e698df56-9314-4ffa-aade-0063a8b4b44d
  5. Sound doesn't work after installing Build 10240 Windows 10 please help

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound doesn't work after installing Build 10240 Windows 10 please help: My sound won't work after I installed windows 10. I'm using Conexant SmartAudio HD by the way. I tried using youtube for a solution but everything was for older builds. Please can anyone help me? 9614
  6. Microsoft Money not working in build 10240

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Money not working in build 10240: After upgrading to build 10240 from 10166 I get this error when opening Microsoft Money (See attached image) Money worked fine in all previous Windows 10 builds but in 10240 not working. Anybody else having the same issues and is their a fix? 8399
  7. Windows 10 build 10240 ISO Upgrade?

Windows 10 build 10240 ISO Upgrade?: I have the Windows 10 build 10240 ISO​ on DVD do i need to do a clean install or can i upgrade from Windows 8.1 with the ISO? 8603
  8. Windows 10 Build 10240 not coming through on Build 9926?

Windows 10 Build 10240 not coming through on Build 9926?: I am currently running Windows 10 Build 9926 due to having issues installing Build 10162 using a USB. I had Build 9926 installed before and successfully updated to 10162 however a failed graphics driver install forced me to reinstall and since Microsoft pulled build updates a...
  9. Build 10240 not prompting for computer name during sysprep

Build 10240 not prompting for computer name during sysprep: I was wondering if anyone else was running into the issue of sysprep not prompting for a computer name during the boot up process. Everything in my attend file is functioning normally (even the copy profile) but I cannot get a prompt for a computer name. I'm thinking this is...
  10. Problems with Build 10240

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems with Build 10240: So far, I have no sound and Cortana is not working when I speak to her. Any solutions and fixed? 8367

Users found this page by searching for:

1. one drive does not work on new profiles after sysprep of computer