Windows 10: Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned

Discus and support Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned in Cortana to solve the problem; Windows 10 search bar returns no results. If I restart the Windows Seach service then Search will provided results once before failing again. I have... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by Ken Maple, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Ken Maple Win User

Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned

Windows 10 search bar returns no results.

If I restart the Windows Seach service then Search will provided results once before failing again.

I have done the following:-

Updated Windows
    Restarted Cortana

Changed Pagefile parameters

Unistalled Bullguard Anti-virus

The problem persists

:)

Ken Maple, Apr 2, 2019
  2. 3mptylord Win User

Windows Search returning no results

Windows Search returning no results on one of my external harddrives.

I've trawled through pages of Google's advice and I have already:

• Tried indexing the HDD and rebuilding.
    • Non-indexing and rebuilding.
    • Indexing only specific folders on the HDD and rebuilding.
    • Specifically disabling indexing for this drive in the drive's properties.
    • Checked that I have the appropriate permissions on the drive (they are identical to my other HDDs).

Crude example of my problem:

• I am looking for the following file, A:\Example\test.txt.
    • I am inside the A:\Example folder.
    • I search for "test", "*" or "txt".
    • It says there are no results.

And it says "no results" instantly - it doesn't appear to even try.

I do not have a second drive with sufficient space to move the contents to do a format - so I'm looking for non-destructive solutions.

Based on solutions I've been proposed since posting this thread:
    • Does the HDD work on another computer? Yes. While searching on that computer it says "searching non-indexed locations will be slow", as I would expect. The issue must be with my computer and not the HDD.
    • Does outright disabling Windows Search in the Services do anything? Yes - I can now search the drive, but it is painfully slow.

3mptylord, Apr 2, 2019
  3. Searching in 'Settings' returns no results

I have posted a question about getting no search results in the 'Settings' window previously (that is, the 'find a setting' text box), and got no help from it.

I have read other people having the same issue. I just decided to try a fix for a related but slightly different search issue, and it worked!

So if you are not getting any search results in your 'Settings' window I recommend following the suggestion on Fix for Windows 8.1 not returning settings results - CmdrKeene's Blog

And many thanks to cmdrkeene Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned :)

IntoTheAbyss, Apr 2, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned

WIN10 search not returning results from indexed drive

Greetings

Windows 10 taskbar (Cortana) search is not returning results from an indexed drive. Both the C and D drives are indexed (specific Locations) and task bar search returns results from everywhere but the D drive. However, if I search via file manager search
    returns all the results.

I have tried

• rebuilding the index
    • stating and stopping the service
    • running the troubleshooter (find a permissions problem)
    The machine is fully patched with the latest release.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

THX Paul

PaulCramer, Apr 2, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned

1. Windows 10 Search not working - no results returned - Similar Threads - Search working results

2. Search Result is Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search Result is Not Working: Hi,I recently upgraded my OS to Windows 11. I tried searching my file using its file name and it's not showing the results even I'm just searching inside its folder. I tried the following troubleshooting:1. Run indexer troubleshooter2. Choose Enhance instead of Classic3....
  3. Search Result is Not Working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search Result is Not Working: Hi,I recently upgraded my OS to Windows 11. I tried searching my file using its file name and it's not showing the results even I'm just searching inside its folder. I tried the following troubleshooting:1. Run indexer troubleshooter2. Choose Enhance instead of Classic3....
  4. W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    W10 File Explorer Search returns "No results": Many times the Win10 File Explorer works fine, but some times it returns "No results" even if there are obvious matches in the list. Repeating the search does not help. Changing to other directories and doing different searches sometimes works, and sometimes returning to...
  5. search returns duplicate results

in Windows 10 Customization
    search returns duplicate results: In Search Locations under Search tools in Outlook 2019, my email is listed multiple times. I;m sure this is why the emails are listed multiple times in a search. When I remove the check mark next to one of the duplicate search locations it reappears when I remove the check...
  6. Windows 10 Search Bar Web Search returns no results

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Bar Web Search returns no results: My Surface can no longer search the web from the search bar. It still works perfectly fine for local file search, but it will not search the web....
  7. Windows 10 Search Not Returning Results

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Not Returning Results: Hello, The Windows 10 Search function has stopped working. I checked online for the basic troubleshooting and nothing resolved the problem. I will list specifics of the system below. Thanks in advance to any assistance with this search issue. Windows 10 Pro is installed on...
  8. Windows Defender returns result 0x2

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender returns result 0x2: Hi. There are 4 Windows Defender Scheduled Tasks. All but the periodic scan task result in successful completions (0x0). The Scheduled Periodic scan task results return 0x2. This holds true even if I run the task on demand. I've found that by disabling Real Time Protection...
  9. Windows Search returning no results

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Search returning no results: Windows Search returning no results on one of my external harddrives. I've trawled through pages of Google's advice and I have already: Tried indexing the HDD and rebuilding. Non-indexing and rebuilding. Indexing only specific folders on the HDD and rebuilding....
  10. The problem returned again - Search is not working

in Windows 10 Support
    The problem returned again - Search is not working: Hi, I had this issue in the past and posted a thread about it here, but the problem was mysteriously solved. Now it has returned: Search is not working properly: It only finds certain files and randomly, so it can find some of the items on desktop, and not all of them,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 no search results

2. windows 10 cortana returns no search results