Windows 10: Windows 10 search of all subfolders on harddrive

Discus and support Windows 10 search of all subfolders on harddrive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, In windows 10 V21H1: If I open up file explorer to a directory c:\subdir\ and search for text it will find the text located in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dtae, Jun 23, 2021.

1. dtae Win User

Windows 10 search of all subfolders on harddrive

Hello, In windows 10 V21H1: If I open up file explorer to a directory c:\subdir\ and search for text it will find the text located in c:\subdir\subdir2\. However, if I go to c:\ and run the same search for the same text with "all subfolders selected" in the ribbon it returns no matches. How do I search entire drive for a text string? As a subsidiary question, is windows 10 search just junk and I should use Agent Ransack or something else instead? Thanks

:)

2. KeithM Win User

How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 WITHOUT subfolders

OK. You have to:
    1. Execute a search via the Search bar so the Search Ribbon appears.
    2. On the ribbon, click Current Location.
    3. Click the "Go" arrow to the right of the Search bar.
    4. On the ribbon, click Current Location again.

Windows 10 search of all subfolders on harddrive [​IMG]

Windows 10 search of all subfolders on harddrive [​IMG]

KeithM, Jun 23, 2021
  3. Hitesh12 Win User
    Cannot search in a specific folder [Windows 10]

THANKS A LOT !!

This worked like a charm. Now search is working perfectly

Thanks a lot Ruth, really appreciate your help

Hitesh12, Jun 23, 2021
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jun 23, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 search of all subfolders on harddrive - Similar Threads - search subfolders harddrive

2. Windows 10 Search All Subfolders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Search All Subfolders: I have Windows 10 and when searching folders in file explorer my default was always to search all folders and subfolders. Now it defaults to just search the current folder. I can choose subfolders from the ribbon but I desperately want to set all subfolders as the default...
  3. Windows 10 Search All Subfolders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Search All Subfolders: I have Windows 10 and when searching folders in file explorer my default was always to search all folders and subfolders. Now it defaults to just search the current folder. I can choose subfolders from the ribbon but I desperately want to set all subfolders as the default...
  4. Windows 10 Search All Subfolders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder

in Cortana
    Search excludes any folder with a .git subfolder: I use Git to keep track of my projects, and this creates a .git folder in any repository that is tracked. I am unable to search anything in these folders. For example, I know that filename.txt exists inside one such folder, and when I type filename.txt in the Start Menu...
  6. How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 WITHOUT subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    How to Search in File Explorer in Windows 10 WITHOUT subfolders: My Windows 10 Explorer does not behave as expected. (Windows 10 Version 2004) A search in File Explorer in Windows 10 always shows files of subfolders even if I click on 'Current folders'. The German Microsoft support could not help in a long telephone call. I ran...
  7. Windows search not locating files on google drive subfolder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows search not locating files on google drive subfolder: Good afternoon, Unfortunately, windows search does not show files in google drive. It does show the folder names but not files. One drive files show up no problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated....
  8. exclude subfolder search like in Windows 7 ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    exclude subfolder search like in Windows 7 ?: in windows 7 there was a search option to exclude searching the subfolders too. In windows 10 i cant see any. Now every time i want to search for a file, my computer searches the whole drive for that file and shows all results which have that name. I only want to see the file...
  9. Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Ownership not applying to subfolders of 2nd harddrive?: Hi, I search about this and didn't found a solution for this headache i'm having What is going on: i have a second harddrive (not external/usb) and all my files on this is with wrong ownership So, i tried use the "take ownership" menu context helper and also the...
  10. Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer search - no search results in subfolders: I apologize if I get some of the terminology wrong. Hopefully the screenshots will help. Basically if I open Windows Explorer and select Pictures from the Navigation page, I can search for a file (IMG_2354) and find it correctly. The file is located in...