Windows 10: Windows 10 Search opening 3 Application Instances

Discus and support Windows 10 Search opening 3 Application Instances in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; To open an application from the search bar, I normally type in the applications name until it appears on the top of the list (and highlighted) and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Richard_AB, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Search opening 3 Application Instances

To open an application from the search bar, I normally type in the applications name until it appears on the top of the list (and highlighted) and then press the keyboard return key. What used to happen is that one copy of the application would open, but having upgraded to May 2019 Update [1903] it now opens 3 copies of the same app. It is always exactly 3 never more nor less, so suspect something other then the keyboard.

This did not occur prior to the upgrade, and works correctly on all other PCs I have that went through the same upgrade.

I have tried various things, but to no avail, such as:

- Toggled Windows Search setting on/off and visa versa
    - Deleted and rebuilt the index (Control Panel - Indexing Option)
    - Adjusted Keyboard sensitivity
    - Changed the keyboard for another one

I would be grateful for any assistance to fix this issue.

Many thanks

:)

Richard_AB, Oct 4, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Oct 4, 2019
  3. chadwick0 Win User
    Windows fails to open applications

Hi,

Once I have several applications open Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 refuses to open further application. I have heavy-weight applications like Delphi and Eclipse open, but the OS has coped with this in the past.

No error messages are reported by the application I am attempting to open, and there are no messages in the event viewer. What is really strange is that once the OS gets itself into this state, it appears that the OS can't allocate enough memory to perform simple API calls. If I go into an application that is already open and try to open the file menu, or right click on the taskbar to open the context menu, nothing happens.

If I close a few applications, then the problem goes away. The Task Manager performance tab indicates that I still have ~1Gb of physical memory available.

I think this could be caused by:

- A memory module is damaged. My memory is comprised of 1x1Gb modules. When the system attempts to allocate memory in the second module, it is unable to. I think this is a bit of a long-shot because I wouldn't expect my PC to boot if a memory module was playing-up

- I've installed something that has put something malicious on my PC. The only things I've installed recently are PRGrep and WinGrep, but unfortunately I didn't make a system restore point, and windows hasn't retained those old restore points. However a full Sophos scan doesn't show-up anything.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose/fix this welcome because I'm baffled as to what is going on.

Thanks,

Frank.

chadwick0, Oct 4, 2019
  4. BigMack70 Win User

Windows 10 Search opening 3 Application Instances

Windows 8.1, and Why You Should Let Go of Windows 7

Wait wait wait I can do it in 3 steps

Diasble Metro:
    1) Don't buy Windows 8
    2) ?????
    3) Profit!

BigMack70, Oct 4, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Search opening 3 Application Instances

1. Windows 10 Search opening 3 Application Instances - Similar Threads - Search opening Application

2. Open Application Using Search

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open Application Using Search: If I search for an application using the Windows button or PowerToys Run, I can open an application quickly and switch to that window. However, if the window is already open, it does not switch to that window. Thus the only way in that case to switch to that window would be...
  3. Open Application Using Search

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open Application Using Search: If I search for an application using the Windows button or PowerToys Run, I can open an application quickly and switch to that window. However, if the window is already open, it does not switch to that window. Thus the only way in that case to switch to that window would be...
  4. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  5. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  6. Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application: How do I force Win 11 to open only 1 instance of an app when I select it's icon from the toolbar or desktop? In Win 10, when I opened an app such as Notepad, I could then open my browser or any other app and Notepad would be minimized on the toolbar unless I had the Windows...
  7. Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application

Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application: How do I force Win 11 to open only 1 instance of an app when I select it's icon from the toolbar or desktop? In Win 10, when I opened an app such as Notepad, I could then open my browser or any other app and Notepad would be minimized on the toolbar unless I had the Windows...
  8. [Resolved] 3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search

in Windows 10 Customization
    [Resolved] 3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search: UPDATE: The problem resolved itself without any intervention. --------------------- Since this afternoon, launching programs by typing in the Start search bar will open 3 instances of that app. So if I press the WINDOWS KEY, type "Notepad" or "Note" then hit ENTER, three...
  9. 3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search

in Windows 10 Customization
    3 instances of each app open when launching via Start menu Search: Since this afternoon, launching programs by typing in the Start search bar will open 3 instances of that app. So if I press the WINDOWS KEY, type "Notepad" or "Note" then hit ENTER, three Notepad windows will open. It does this for any program that can run multiple...
  10. Windows 10: Multiple instances of an application & taskbar buttons

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: Multiple instances of an application & taskbar buttons: Hi everyone! I have two instances of VMWare open with each running a different VM. VMWare 1 is almost never touched as it holds our PostgreSQL instance whose DB we access from inside VMWare 2. I don't combine my taskbar buttons and I'd like to move VMWare 1's taskbar...