Windows 10: Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

Discus and support Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I use the left hand side search and click on results other than 'web', a word document is opened! How do I reset the correct app association for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ansuz, Aug 11, 2015.

1. ansuz Win User

Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

When I use the left hand side search and click on results other than 'web', a word document is opened! How do I reset the correct app association for this action/file type.
    Thank you in advance

:)

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  2. JimWynne Win User

Changing File Type Associations in Windows 10

It's not a Works file. Works word processor files have a .wps extension. The .wri extension is from Microsoft Write, which was offered in early versions of Windows. It was replaced by Wordpad in Windows 95. The thing to do is to try to open the file
    in Word--choose Open from the File menu, then navigate to a .wri file. If the file won't open properly in Word, there's not much point in changing the association. If it does open in Word, then the association can be changed following slance10's
    right-click advice.

JimWynne, Aug 11, 2015
  3. how can i search localy on my windows phone 7.5 mango?

What kind of file do you want to search for? You'll probably need to open up the application that is associated with that file type (i.e., open up the Office hub if you want to search for a Word, Excel, Powerpoint file) and use the search option within
    in that application or hub. There's not a way to
    globally search for stuff on the phone.

Julie fka profjulie, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

Hi
    If you go to Settings and then System there is an option there to set default apps

you might need to go to the bottom one to set per file type if something is wrongly assigned to word

hope that helps

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  5. ansuz Win User
    What should it be assigned to? I mean, what file type should I be looking for and what app should I associate with it.
    Thanks

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  6. depends on what the file is you are clicking on

does it show a file extension for them?

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  7. ansuz Win User
    No, it is the pop up during the search results. If the result is a web result, and I click on that it opens Edge. If it is a result on the PC and I click on it then 'word' opens with unreadable script.

It has windows immersive control panel in the word document, does that help?

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  8. Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

need to know what the file type is that you are clicking on, without knowing this its very difficult to say what the default app is for it

eg it could be excel .xls or powerpoint .ppt or a text file .txt or many others

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  9. ansuz Win User
    say I do asearch for 'reset' web items are listed, and then items with a cog settings, click on one of those and word opens. I tried right click to display any properties, but could not get it to respond to the right click.

If you do a search yourself you will see the files I am talking about. Thanks for trying to help.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  10. I understand now, give me a couple of minutes, just looking for something to try

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  11. I cant see one for this default

IF you go into the default apps and use the option to reset to defaults does this correct it?

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  12. ansuz Win User
    You are a champion Paul, as it is beyond me to correct the problem. Thanks for being patient and devoted to fixing the issue.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  13. ansuz Win User

will try

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  14. ansuz Win User
    No, it did not reset it and cure the issue

Below is what I see in the 'word' file

windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

SettingsPageRestoreRestore
    SystemSettings_Misc_ResetYourPC
    SettingsGroupRestoreRestoreResetPC

@{windows?ms-resource://Windows.UI.SettingsAppThreshold/SearchResources/SystemSettings_Misc_ResetYourPC/Description}
    @{windows?ms-resource://Windows.UI.SettingsAppThreshold/SearchResources/SystemSettings_Misc_ResetYourPC/HighKeywords}
    @{windows?ms-resource://Windows.UI.SettingsAppThreshold/SearchResources/SystemSettings_Misc_ResetYourPC/Keywords}
    @{windows?ms-resource://Windows.UI.SettingsAppThreshold/SearchResources/SystemSettings_Misc_ResetYourPC/LowKeywords}

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  15. right click on your start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)

from in here run
    sfc /scannow

I have found other people report this issue in windows 8 and this cured it, windows 10 is very similar so fingers crossed
    it might take a while for this to run (30 mins or so), it validates your windows files and tries to fix any problems

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association - Similar Threads - search opens 'word'

2. Word file not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word file not opening: I had some encrypted MS word files. I updated window 7 and after that my word file is not opening neither showing any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-not-opening/16dd1194-5032-40cd-a707-e2c5daece2ec
  3. Word file not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word file not opening: I had some encrypted MS word files. I updated window 7 and after that my word file is not opening neither showing any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-not-opening/16dd1194-5032-40cd-a707-e2c5daece2ec
  4. same pdf file and word file not open in window 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    same pdf file and word file not open in window 10: same pdf file and word file not open in window 10 error- all file show yellow lock error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/same-pdf-file-and-word-file-not-open-in-window-10/ae27e810-6272-471e-bc9f-98998221e34b
  5. MS Word Files No Longer Directly Associated With Word Software

MS Word Files No Longer Directly Associated With Word Software: I've had MS 365 for two years. As of 6 weeks ago, all of my Word files in file manager now have a notepad icon next to them. When I click on them in file manager, unreadable characters open in a notepad document. All Word files affected with this issue have the docx...
  6. Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect

Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect: Using windows 10. Open file explorer. Go to a folder. Click search bar, enter "type:ppt", hit search. No items match your search. I can see multiple powerpoint files in the folder. Why do none show up in search results? 7 did not have this problem. Same goes for...
  7. File Explorer Search Does Not Remember File Associations

File Explorer Search Does Not Remember File Associations: Hi Everyone, Whenever I look for a music file with the search bar on the file explorer and select the file directly from there I always get the prompt to select which application to play the file. I have selected the player to 'To always to use this app for...' on previous...
  8. Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search

Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search: The old file manager allowed for many conditions. One was if you were looking for a word, you could exclude other words. For instance, if I wanted to search for 'Flower' but I did not want any results that had 'Daisy' in it, I would put 'Daisy' as an exception and the results...
  9. Windows 10 File Associations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 File Associations: Hi, We are struggling to apply file associations effectively via our SCCM task sequence on build by applying a customisation XML we created. The only change the in the XML is for Adobe Reader for PDF to be used instead of Edge naively. The XML seems to apply...
  10. Notepad on Windows 10 incorrectly word wraps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad on Windows 10 incorrectly word wraps: Hi, I've noticed and got more and more pissed of by a slight modification to the classic and simple Notepad application. If one enables Word Wrap, it should wrap the text at word boundaries. It was fine on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7: text was wrapped at white...