Windows 10: Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

Discus and support Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; make a file type always open in a specific program, this brings up the list. Do you have IE as default or Edge? Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ansuz, Aug 11, 2015.

1. ansuz Win User

Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

make a file type always open in a specific program, this brings up the list. Do you have IE as default or Edge?

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015

2. does IE give the option to open or save the file or does it just download it?

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  3. ansuz Win User
    yes, but when I hit open it flashes the screen and nothing appears

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  4. ansuz Win User

Do you have IE the default browser or Edge the default

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  5. I have IE as the default browser

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  6. ansuz Win User
    I will change mine to IE default then and see

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  7. ansuz Win User
    No that didn't make a difference IE downloads opened, and I could not open the download, the screen just flashed

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  8. Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

I am out of ideas now except for doing a re install of windows, sounds like something else is corrupt somewhere

hopefully someone else might read this and have extra thoughts

I will keep looking to see if I can find any other solutions (most I have found are for win 8 though)

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  9. ansuz Win User
  10. ansuz Win User
    OK say you search for the word reset, and up come the choices when you hit one choice with a cog next to it, describe what happens please. and post the result here for me.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  11. If I type the word reset in the search box I get this

Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association [​IMG]

I then click on the one with the cog (2nd one down), reset this pc and I get this

Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association [​IMG]

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  12. ansuz Win User
    I wonder if my IE is corrupt? I get IE opening and in the download section, no result like you get.

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
  13. Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association

you could try a re install of ie

right click the start menu and select programs and features
    at the left select turn windows features on and off

remove the tick from IE and click ok will get rid of it
    might be worth trying the search after doing this see if any difference

then reboot
    go back in and put the tick back on for IE
    this will re install it

it still seems odd to me that the settings rely on IE, this I thought was something MS wanted rid of....eventualy

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  14. sitting here with my fingers crossed

hows the weather in NSW, are you having a mild winter?

paulsalter, Aug 11, 2015
  15. ansuz Win User
    I am in Goulburn, up 2,000 feet. Minus 4 at 10AM this morning. I have a Pal in Milton Keynes and I basically get the same weather as he does, a season apart. We had snow a few weeks ago. I made a video of what happens. The uninstall and reinstall of IE did not change anything. Curiosly, when I took IE out, it reverted back to 'word' again. How do I get the video to you?

ansuz, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 search opens 'word' incorrect file association - Similar Threads - search opens 'word'

2. Word file not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word file not opening: I had some encrypted MS word files. I updated window 7 and after that my word file is not opening neither showing any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-not-opening/16dd1194-5032-40cd-a707-e2c5daece2ec
  3. Word file not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word file not opening: I had some encrypted MS word files. I updated window 7 and after that my word file is not opening neither showing any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-not-opening/16dd1194-5032-40cd-a707-e2c5daece2ec
  4. same pdf file and word file not open in window 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    same pdf file and word file not open in window 10: same pdf file and word file not open in window 10 error- all file show yellow lock error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/same-pdf-file-and-word-file-not-open-in-window-10/ae27e810-6272-471e-bc9f-98998221e34b
  5. MS Word Files No Longer Directly Associated With Word Software

MS Word Files No Longer Directly Associated With Word Software: I've had MS 365 for two years. As of 6 weeks ago, all of my Word files in file manager now have a notepad icon next to them. When I click on them in file manager, unreadable characters open in a notepad document. All Word files affected with this issue have the docx...
  6. Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect

Windows 10 - File Explorer - search tools - results are incorrect: Using windows 10. Open file explorer. Go to a folder. Click search bar, enter "type:ppt", hit search. No items match your search. I can see multiple powerpoint files in the folder. Why do none show up in search results? 7 did not have this problem. Same goes for...
  7. File Explorer Search Does Not Remember File Associations

File Explorer Search Does Not Remember File Associations: Hi Everyone, Whenever I look for a music file with the search bar on the file explorer and select the file directly from there I always get the prompt to select which application to play the file. I have selected the player to 'To always to use this app for...' on previous...
  8. Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search

Exclude a word in a Windows 10 File Manager search: The old file manager allowed for many conditions. One was if you were looking for a word, you could exclude other words. For instance, if I wanted to search for 'Flower' but I did not want any results that had 'Daisy' in it, I would put 'Daisy' as an exception and the results...
  9. Windows 10 File Associations

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 File Associations: Hi, We are struggling to apply file associations effectively via our SCCM task sequence on build by applying a customisation XML we created. The only change the in the XML is for Adobe Reader for PDF to be used instead of Edge naively. The XML seems to apply...
  10. Notepad on Windows 10 incorrectly word wraps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notepad on Windows 10 incorrectly word wraps: Hi, I've noticed and got more and more pissed of by a slight modification to the classic and simple Notepad application. If one enables Word Wrap, it should wrap the text at word boundaries. It was fine on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7: text was wrapped at white...