Windows 10: Windows 10 Security Update Dialog Should Not Reboot Unless Told To

Discus and support Windows 10 Security Update Dialog Should Not Reboot Unless Told To in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I submitted feedback to the Windows Feedback Hub. Click "Windows 10 Security Update Dialog Should Not Reboot Unless Told To". Vote Yes and comment... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by petrula, Mar 8, 2019.

1. petrula Win User

Windows 10 Security Update Dialog Should Not Reboot Unless Told To

I submitted feedback to the Windows Feedback Hub.

Click "Windows 10 Security Update Dialog Should Not Reboot Unless Told To".

Vote Yes and comment you want this problem corrected ASAP.

Windows 10 Pro

Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.590)

Even if you have Pause Updates on, Windows 10 will install security updates. Unfortunately, those updates can close running process and destroy data. The security update displays a modal dialog which expects a response. If you do not immediately respond within ten minutes, it will install the update by rebooting the OS. Thereby, closing running processes which are crunching data like video encoders, backups, and many more.

The proper behavior should be a nonmodal dialog which does not do anything until you respond. Obviously, whenever you intentionally shutdown and reboot, or restart the system, it should apply the security update.

Why is this so important? Say you are backing up data from one drive to another drive. Say the backup will take a few hours because there is a lot of data. So you go away from the computer while this is happening. Windows currently displays the security update dialog. Since you are not there to respond, Windows reboots the OS so your backup is incomplete and you have no way of knowing this occurred. This is a disaster.

What if you are encoding a video which often takes many hours. The security update destroys closes your encoding. Your end users are then really pissed since you have no deliverables to give them. There are numerous other situations where modal security update dialogs create debilitating havoc.

Please correct this major error as soon as possible. I have already had the security updates destroy valuable data.

:)

petrula, Mar 8, 2019
  2. AsRock Win User

Windows 10 Update

Well just noticed a pretty large one pop up coming in at 914MB, seems it makes some pretty serous updates.

KB3172985
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172985

This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:

• 3175677 MS16-094: Security update for secure boot: July 12, 2016
    • 3174060 MS16-093: Security update for Adobe Flash Player: July 12, 2016
    • 3171910 MS16-092: Security update for Windows Kernel: July 12, 2016
    • 3170048 MS16-091: Security update for .Net Framework: July 12, 2016
    • 3171481 MS16-090: Security update for Kernel Mode Drivers: July 12, 2016
    • 3170050 MS16-089: Security update for Windows secure kernel mode: July 12, 2016
    • 3170005 MS16-087: Security update for the Microsoft Print Spooler: July 12, 2016
    • 3169999 MS16-085: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: July 12, 2016
    • 3169991 MS16-084: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: July 12, 2016

AsRock, Mar 8, 2019
  3. Monk.e83 Win User
    Unlocked Realtek HD Audio Drivers Windows 7 & 8 (With Dolby Digital Live and DTS Interactive)

DTS supported natively by Windows 8/8.1 and it should work on windows 10 too just DDL require to unlock your driver .

Monk.e83, Mar 8, 2019
  4. Windows 10 Security Update Dialog Should Not Reboot Unless Told To

Windows 7 Ultimate (64) Security updates not installing.

I have been having problems in installing the updates that I have listed below. For each update I attempted to install them individually but they would not install. I also downloaded the SURT 6.1 KB947821 v27. The problem has been going on now for about 2 months. (whenever the issue with the updates comes to mind I am never near my pc). Thank you in advance.

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2838727)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2757638)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2785220)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2790113)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2813170)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2813430)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2839894)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2726535)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2773072)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2786400)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2798162)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2808679)

autigerfan, Mar 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Security Update Dialog Should Not Reboot Unless Told To

1. Windows 10 Security Update Dialog Should Not Reboot Unless Told To - Similar Threads - Security Update Dialog

2. Windows updating drivers when told not to

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows updating drivers when told not to: I have windows 11 Version 22H2 Edition Windows 11 HomeI have a problem that windows will download drivers that break the sound on my laptop. Meaning the sound slider no longer works and I either have the sound off or on full blast. Its a HP Pavilion 15-EH AMD Ryzen 5 4500U...
  3. Windows updating drivers when told not to

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows updating drivers when told not to: I have windows 11 Version 22H2 Edition Windows 11 HomeI have a problem that windows will download drivers that break the sound on my laptop. Meaning the sound slider no longer works and I either have the sound off or on full blast. Its a HP Pavilion 15-EH AMD Ryzen 5 4500U...
  4. Windows Security dialog window pops up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Security dialog window pops up: Windows Security dialog window pops up while I am developing an application through React. It is really annoying. We have to refresh page. At first, this sign in dialog window is shown:Then the above dialog window is replaced by the following dialog window. It requires smart...
  5. Windows Security dialog window pops up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Security dialog window pops up: Windows Security dialog window pops up while I am developing an application through React. It is really annoying. We have to refresh page. At first, this sign in dialog window is shown:Then the above dialog window is replaced by the following dialog window. It requires smart...
  6. Windows Security dialog window pops up

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  7. remote drives not showing in Explorer unless reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    remote drives not showing in Explorer unless reboot: Have latest W10 updates. For a couple of months now a USB, remote hard drive, or even sometimes my DVD drive, will not show up in Explorer. Plugging in the device gives the 'chimes' that says it is recognized. If I reboot the drive will display in Explorer. Also does not show...
  8. Display not connecting unless Pc rebooted.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Display not connecting unless Pc rebooted.: I am swapping my second screen between a laptop and a pc. When I plug the screen back into the turned-on PC the input doesn't recognise its plugged in. I either have to reboot the PC or disable and re-enable to video driver from computer management. I am changing input...
  9. Windows 10 security update not completed - should I still clone to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 security update not completed - should I still clone to SSD: Hello All, I have turned to you fabulous guys because I keep second-guessing myself. I was within hours of cloning my C: drive to a larger SSD when the latest security fix was launched - it was announced on my PC on 21st Oct. So the issue I have is that I have only...
  10. Reboot dialog after computer boots

in Windows 10 Support
    Reboot dialog after computer boots: I am getting a suspicious looking dialog which says Hardware settings have changed and reboot is required. It does not look like a normal dialog and I suspect it might be malicious. Anyone else seen this [img] Thanks..... 70112