Windows 10: Windows 10: Selecting default apps for files is about to get easier

Discus and support Windows 10: Selecting default apps for files is about to get easier in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Like Android and iOS, Windows 10 also ships with a bunch of pre-installed apps to improve your experience. If you use a lot of third-party apps, you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Sep 10, 2020.

1. WinLatest New Member

Windows 10: Selecting default apps for files is about to get easier

Like Android and iOS, Windows 10 also ships with a bunch of pre-installed apps to improve your experience. If you use a lot of third-party apps, you may have run into the problem of Windows 10 trying to open up a file in the entirely wrong application.

You can ‘fix’ this behaviour by using the “Open with command” option which appears when you right-click on a file in Explorer. If you aren’t sure about the default apps for your file types, you can head to the Settings and choose default apps for file formats and protocols.

When you open the default apps page, you’ll be presented with a list of all of the file types and protocols your Windows installation currently supports. In addition, you’ll also find associated applications for those file formats.

Windows 10: Selecting default apps for files is about to get easier Choose-default-apps.jpg

By default, Windows should automatically select default apps for file formats or protocols, but if a file type doesn’t have a particular app assigned already, you need to click on the “+” icon and select it.

The problem with this whole experience is that you need to unnecessarily scroll to search through the long list of file formats/protocols, and then select the app of your choice.

With next feature update, Microsoft says Windows 10 will finally allow users to scan the file types, protocols, and change apps association using the new search box.

This new search box is a great feature for anyone who finds it difficult to go through the long list of default file formats, protocols or apps.

Windows 10: Selecting default apps for files is about to get easier Default-apps-settings.jpg

For example, you can now search for the file type “.avi” and set a new default app – such as VLC – to open files of .avi type. If you don’t have any compatible app, you can always download it from the web or use ‘look for an app in the Microsoft Store’ option, and then select the default app.

If a relevant app is installed on your device, you’ll be able to open the file type in that app by default.

Microsoft says it has also fine-tuned the search box to enable faster experience when setting a default app or scanning file formats, file protocols, etc.

The post Windows 10: Selecting default apps for files is about to get easier appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Sep 10, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 10, 2020
  3. shytot Win User
    Can't Select Photoshop as a Default App

Hi
    I've just downloaded Photoshop CC2018 and tried to make it the default photo viewer, but it does not appear in the list of apps that I can select from. Have also tried doing the same for opening .jpg files, but just the same, no Photoshop! I have rebooted the system a couple of times but it makes no difference.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

shytot, Sep 10, 2020
  4. Bree Win User

How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

Windows 10: Selecting default apps for files is about to get easier [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

Windows 10: Selecting default apps for files is about to get easier [​IMG]

Thema:

1. Windows 10: Selecting default apps for files is about to get easier - Similar Threads - Selecting default apps

2. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  3. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google apps not selectable for default apps: Google chrome is installed, I tried go to settings, make default browser and I get nothing. Attached a screenshot of what I get. Also Gmail is not available for email. Permissions are allowed on the defender firewall. Thanks for any advice...
  4. Google apps not selectable for default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. File recovery is getting easier on Windows 10 in the next update

in Windows 10 News
    File recovery is getting easier on Windows 10 in the next update: Microsoft understands the pain of accidentally deleting a file that you didn’t mean to. In early 2020, Microsoft released a Windows File Recovery tool which allows you to reverse your decision and recover the files that you permanently deleted from everywhere, including the...
  6. Windows 10, how to select Word Pad as default app for rtf file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10, how to select Word Pad as default app for rtf file: In my Windows 10 settings, I wish to select WordPad as the default app for rtf file, but WordPad is not listed as a possible rtf file default app. I have seen from other Questions & Answers that in such a case, "Look for another app on this PC" should be selected followed...
  7. Issues Selecting Default App

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Issues Selecting Default App: Hello, I've been looking online and can't find anything, so I figured I'd make a post. I just installed Win 10 Pro on my work laptop (ssd died so I needed a replacement) and I noticed that all the files I put on my computer were trying to save as Excel files, which I...
  8. Cannot select default app for file type

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot select default app for file type: Hello, I am trying to set a default application for a file extenstion but it doesn't save. [ATTACH] When doing that, it opens the application in the correct application: notepad++, but it doesn't update it to windows, so when i try to just double click on the file, it...
  9. Setting default app with "Select File"

in Windows 10 Support
    Setting default app with "Select File": Back when I ran Windows 7 and before i was made to update to Windows 10 because I built a Ryzen system, I could set a default app by clicking a button that would open the file explorer and letting me select the executable. I am not seeing that in Windows 10, how do I select...
  10. It’s About to Get a Lot Easier to Use HoloLens with Eyeglasses

in Windows 10 News
    It’s About to Get a Lot Easier to Use HoloLens with Eyeglasses: HoloLens users: rejoice! Fighting with your eyeglasses while wearing a HoloLens device will be a thing of the past, thanks to an insert developed by New York lens manufacturer Rochester Optical. The inserts attach directly to the device, where the optional nose piece would...