Windows 10: Windows 10 Serial to USB issue?

Discus and support Windows 10 Serial to USB issue? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I wonder if anyone has seen this type issue before. I'm no expert and have no idea what the cause may be but I'll describe the issue. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by gregzjetz, Jan 13, 2021.

1. gregzjetz Win User

Windows 10 Serial to USB issue?

I wonder if anyone has seen this type issue before. I'm no expert and have no idea what the cause may be but I'll describe the issue. I have connected a projector to my laptop using a Serial projector side to USB adapter laptop side. Windows recognizes a device is connected but is labeling it a generic USB device instead of a projector. Because of this, the calibration software, DisplayCal, I would like to use is not recognizing that a display device is connected. Does anyone know if this is a Windows 10 issue? A Serial to USB issue? Projectorfrom 2015 may not have a device ID? Thanks!

:)

gregzjetz, Jan 13, 2021

2. Windows 10 serial on OEM

So I'll summarize steps made...

1. Saved serial number (taken with Belarc Advisory) from preinstalled (half chinese language) Windows 8.1 (don't know exactly the version, suspect Windows 8.1 with bing) on tablet
    2. Formatted tablet
    3. Tried to make a clean Windows 10 (HOME, HOME N and also PRO, everytime with the same result) install with ISO taken with MediaCreationTool, during install (and also after completing installation) it says that the saved serial is not valid
    4. Tried to reinstall Windows 8.1 (ISO taken with MediaCreationTool again) HOME, it says that the serial is not valid

So i suspect that the saved serial, is from a WINDOWS 8.1 WITH BING OEM version and this kind of ISO is not accessible/downloadable anywhere (at least I can't find it, any suggestion?)

Still not tried SHOWKEY with that serial, I am in office now, and the serial is saved on a usb pen at home, will try this evening.

So I'm stucked but if everything is like I suspect, it's incredible. If I have a tablet/notebook/netbook with Windows 8 preinstalled, it seems that I can update to Windows 10 without problems, but if I want to make a clean Windows 10 install that serial is not valid...

CapitanCatarro, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jan 13, 2021
  4. RuskinF Win User

Issues with USB-to-Serial on Windows 10

Follow this procedure and tell me if it works to solve the problem:

Go to the Device Manager and type “Device Manager” in the lower left corner of the screen.

Locate the USB to Serial Converter Settings. After plugging a USB device into your machine, expand the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” list in Device Manager. Click on the “USB Serial Converter” and open the USB Serial Converter properties.
    Enable the VCP Driver loading by opening the “Advanced” tab within the USB Serial Converter properties. Make sure the “Load VCP” option is enabled and then click OK to load the VCP.
    Re-connect the device. Unplug the USB device and re-connect it to your computer. At this time, Windows 10 should recognize the device and load the Virtual Com Port Driver.

RuskinF, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Serial to USB issue? - Similar Threads - Serial USB issue

2. USB to Serial Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB to Serial Issue: I have a similar issue to a previous one discussed - I have a few handheld radios that I need to update the frequencies and when I connect to the USB, it fails to connect. In device manager and Ports it says - "Please install corresponding PL2303 driver to support Windows 11...
  3. USB to Serial Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB to Serial Issue: I have a similar issue to a previous one discussed - I have a few handheld radios that I need to update the frequencies and when I connect to the USB, it fails to connect. In device manager and Ports it says - "Please install corresponding PL2303 driver to support Windows 11...
  4. Serial to usb driver

Serial to usb driver: hello everyone.I need help.I am using a serial to usb cable between a modbus slave device and my computer.I want to configure the usb port on my computer but cannot find it under device manager.My computer is running windows 10.Do I need to install a multiport serial driver...
  5. Usb serial number issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Usb serial number issue: Hello, I have the following issue - I'm using Windows 10 21H2, but for some reason, it doesn't recognize the correct serial number of flash drives. I am using the latest version of USBOblivion, which temporarily solves the issue - until I remove and reinsert the flash drive,...
  6. Usb serial number issue

Usb serial number issue: Hello, I have the following issue - I'm using Windows 10 21H2, but for some reason, it doesn't recognize the correct serial number of flash drives. I am using the latest version of USBOblivion, which temporarily solves the issue - until I remove and reinsert the flash drive,...
  7. Usb serial number issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. USB-SERIAL FAILED

USB-SERIAL FAILED: Hello, as developer i use often serial devices via USB after w11 an massiv problem comes all 3 day's back .For some Serial Devices on Industrial USB-HUB i can see that often, the ports are already listet, but not anymore connectable like blocked.The old Win XP Driver is...
  9. Issues with USB-to-Serial on Windows 10

Issues with USB-to-Serial on Windows 10: Hello, I've been using my USB-to-Serial adapter for years until it suddenly stopped working yesterday. When I plug it in, I don't see any changes in the Device Manager. The device works fine on another laptop. It's as if I mistakenly turned off my Comm Ports or something....
  10. USB serial missing

USB serial missing: After a win 10 upgrade my com ports vanished. How do I get them back? Computer is a Dell Laptop R17 5720 OS is Windows 10 pro Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 Intel 7 c216 USB chipset USB Serial converter does not show in device manager show hidden selected Updating all...