Windows 10: Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week

Discus and support Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Perhaps some image are needed to clear up what is what??? Below is the "default" photo viewer under Windows 10. It is simply called "Photos" and is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by swarfega, Aug 6, 2015.

1. sygnus21 Win User

Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week

Perhaps some image are needed to clear up what is what???

Below is the "default" photo viewer under Windows 10. It is simply called "Photos" and is exclusive to Windows 10...

Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week [​IMG]

This is "Windows Photo Viewer", also under Windows 10, and can be selected as default instead of Photos. It is also the Viewer under Windows 8/8.1...

What I find interesting is that Windows Photo Viewer is NOT listed under the Start Menu, but Photos is. However when you right click an image and go to Open With, you can select it as an option and make it your default image viewer. You can also go to Settings, click System, Default Apps, and under Photo Viewer, and choose it as your default viewer app.

Anyway as I said before, I can choose either app and set it as default without issue - Win 10 Media Creation Tool upgrade from Win 8.1.

Maybe we're talking about a completely different viewer?

BTW images are mine *Smile

Peace *Cool

sygnus21, Aug 7, 2015
  2. Fafhrd Win User

Nice images: Beautiful clouds and contrasty waterscapes.

When I have a folder full of images I want something fast to preview them, perhaps in sequence, and to zoom in and pan around to make sure there are no problems with the image etc. Photo Viewer, or Picture and Fax viewer in XP as it was called then fits the bill, whereas Photo is not quite as well featured.

In previous versions of Windows that I am used to, going back to XP, I would right click an image file, and get a menu like this, and working on fixed windows 10 installations:

On Unfixed Windows 10 installs - like clean installs you get this choice instead:

Fafhrd, Aug 7, 2015
  3. sygnus21 Win User
    Thanks, the images posted here does them no justice though.

Anyway way this is what I get with my upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10 when I right click...

Notice that I've got both Windows Photo Viewer and Photos.

sygnus21, Aug 7, 2015
  4. fbkmanutd Win User

Well, considering I am working with roughly 50% of my PC, I can only hope SR1 will do the trick. I have tried just about everything I've seen in these forums, and still have the following issues:

• Edge doesn't work
    • Start menu does not work
    • Search doesn't work
    • Explorer crashes or gets hung up
    • In order to use Chrome, I have to run the "fix it" tool every time. I cannot click on the icon and run it from there
    • My jpegs won't open with Picture. I have to right click on them and use "open with" and choose MS Media
    • My scanning to PDF function no longer works
    • My second monitor no longer works

Yeah, I'm sure I also missed a few other things.

*Mad

fbkmanutd, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    Yes, the upgrade from 8.x or 7 or from some earlier preview releases inherit the registry settings of the os upgraded from. Sadly, in a late preview, maybe even the TH1 branch, the developer left some registry code that prevented Windows Photo Viewer from being the preview Program of choice, even though it is all there, except the registry entries.

In Windows 8.1, the Photos App is a laughably primitive viewer, with very few functions, apparently - at least the Windows 10 version is approaching usability.

I don't like the way secondary windows do not always come to the foreground, expecially when they require some user interaction, and they remain hidden behind the main window, and the way the mouse moving off a window can cause the desktop to peek through; default settings are plain wrong in many cases.

I'd have to agree it was released too soon and is not polished enough.

Fafhrd, Aug 7, 2015
  6. sygnus21 Win User
    Well I'm now in the process of installing 10 on my main rig now. Upgrading from 8.1.

I'll post back any issues found, but really don't anticipate anything major. We'll see.

sygnus21, Aug 7, 2015
  7. JSC
    Jsc Win User
    Awesome news! Hopefully there is a fix of not being able to sign into my Microsoft account to enable all the awesome features in Windows 10.

8. sygnus21 Win User

A lot of these weird issues are more of an exception then a rule and sounds like there are other things going on then simply bad coding by Microsoft.

Not being able to sign into your Microsoft Account? Hmmm... *Huh

sygnus21, Aug 7, 2015
  9. All I get is browser crash, why does windows 10 still have IE, when edge suppose to have replaced it?

kuyenmotdivad, Aug 7, 2015
  10. iBawbag Win User
    Edge isn't exactly the finished article nor is it very customisable.

iBawbag, Aug 7, 2015
  11. sygnus21 Win User
    Because Microsoft understands Edge is still a work in progress, and also may not work with all sites. This is a preventative measure as opposed to leaving people with un-workable browsers!

Other than 10, when's the last time Microsoft shipped a new OS with 2 browsers??? Yeah, they could have straight left it off, but why not let people try it out? If it doesn't work, there's always Internet Explorer. What's the harm?

In time I suspect IE will be dumped in place of Edge.

My two cents

sygnus21, Aug 7, 2015
  12. gzt7d8 Win User
    I'm sort of surprised on the number of issues being found since the 29th. With as many Insiders testing the new OS you'd think all sort of system configurations would be challenged.

Guess not, so bring on the new Release.

gzt7d8, Aug 7, 2015
  13. Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week

On my W10 VM, whatever the default image viewer is, it doesn't handle gifs.

I always install IrfanView, so it isn't a problem for me, as it handles multiple image, video and other formats.

lehnerus2000, Aug 7, 2015
  14. sygnus21 Win User
    The OS is no more buggier then all the previous Windows releases before it, yet we all survived. So when you find the first company in the history of mankind to produce a perfect piece of software, let alone an OS, that works on a myriad of devices, and is so perfect as to never need patches, updates, or revisions, let us know.

sygnus21, Aug 7, 2015
  15. sygnus21 Win User
    Well I just upgraded my main rig through GWX (Get Windows 10) and all went very well, no driver or strange issue. Whole thing took about an hour, maybe less.

Now I await the SR1 release *Smile

sygnus21, Aug 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Service Release 1 Inbound for Next Week - Similar Threads - Service Release Inbound

2. Exact timing of the Windows 10 preview releases next week please

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Exact timing of the Windows 10 preview releases next week please: I need to find out ASAP when exactly the April Preview updates will come out for the general population, right down to the time of day.Microsoft WILL NOT SAYWe were told that they would be in the fourth week of the month, then someone said the fourth Tuesday, but not the...
  3. Exact timing of the Windows 10 preview releases next week please

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Exact timing of the Windows 10 preview releases next week please: I need to find out ASAP when exactly the April Preview updates will come out for the general population, right down to the time of day.Microsoft WILL NOT SAYWe were told that they would be in the fourth week of the month, then someone said the fourth Tuesday, but not the...
  4. Exact timing of the Windows 10 preview releases next week please

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Some ideas for the next release of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Some ideas for the next release of Windows: My brother told me to say I'm 13 years old because he said my reply was good, he said.1. Transparency in window title bars similar to Windows 7, of course not aero.2. Ability to transfer files and settings and users from Windows 10 or Windows 11.1. Also, an app for Windows 7...
  6. The next Windows 10 Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) release

in Windows 10 News
    The next Windows 10 Long Term Servicing Channel (LTSC) release: Windows 10 introduced Windows as a service, a method of continually providing new features and capabilities through regular feature updates. Semi-Annual Channel versions of Windows, such as version 1909, version 2004, and version 20H2, are released twice per year. In...
  7. Next Week on Xbox: New Games for February 26 to March 1

in Windows 10 News
    Next Week on Xbox: New Games for February 26 to March 1: Welcome to Next Week on Xbox, where we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One! Every week the team at Xbox aims to deliver quality gaming content for you to enjoy on your favorite gaming console. To find out what’s coming soon to Xbox One, read on below and click on...
  8. Next Week on Xbox: New Games for January 29 to February 1

in Windows 10 News
    Next Week on Xbox: New Games for January 29 to February 1: Welcome to Next Week on Xbox, where we cover all the new games coming soon to Xbox One! Every week the team at Xbox aims to deliver quality gaming content for you to enjoy on your favorite gaming console. To find out what’s coming soon to Xbox One, read on below and click on...
  9. Windows 10 Mobile ROM for Xiaomi MI 4 to be released next week?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Mobile ROM for Xiaomi MI 4 to be released next week?: You might recall that last April, we showed you video of the Xiaomi Mi 4 running Windows 10 Mobile. This came after word had leaked about Microsoft's plan to offer Windows 10 Mobile ROMs for some Android models as another customization option. The software giant figured that...
  10. It will be next week for next Windows 10 PC Fast ring build

in Windows 10 News
    It will be next week for next Windows 10 PC Fast ring build: Tweet by Gabriel Aul. We hit a problem with our PC build candidate for this week, so looks likely at this point it will be next week for next Fast ring PC build. Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date