Windows 10: Windows 10 set DVD drive region by itself. How to return it to original state safely?

Discus and support Windows 10 set DVD drive region by itself. How to return it to original state safely? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Yesterday I found out that my DVD drive had region changed to Region 2. I did not do that change. Previously I had 5 changes and no region set. That's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Lucas_Miller, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Windows 10 set DVD drive region by itself. How to return it to original state safely?

Yesterday I found out that my DVD drive had region changed to Region 2. I did not do that change. Previously I had 5 changes and no region set. That's how I want it to be. But somehow, WITHOUT MY PERMISSION, something has changed the region. This has used up one of my possible changes. I only used BurnAware recently but that has no setting to change regions there. Then another such last major change was windows update. In windows logs I only found bunch of errors regarding bad block on DVD disc and then this thing which looked a bit suspicious: Device \Device\CdRom0 is locked for exclusive access. What is that? What could have caused this to happen? And most importantly: HOW CAN I RETURN MY DVD DRIVE BACK TO ORIGINAL STATE?? I want it as I had it: Changes left 5, Region not set.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: The BurnAware is not run as administrator.

:)

Lucas_Miller, Mar 11, 2021

2. Windows 10 will not allow any region changes to the DVD driver

Hi Dig,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if region settings is done correctly.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to change the region settings from region 2 to region 4 ( Australian).

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on Enter Key.

3. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives, right-click the DVD drive for which you want to change region settings and then click
    Properties.

4. On the DVD Region tab.

5. Under list of regions, scroll down the mouse to search for Australia from the list and click on it.

6. Then region 4 will be listed below, then click on Ok button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with DVD region settings, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Mar 11, 2021
  3. DVD region on media player with DVD driver and windows DVD player

Hi Keith

Windows Media Player doesn't even have DVD Playback support.

Try doing it through Device Manager

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Click "DVD/CD-ROM drives" to view a list of your installed disk drives.

Right-click your DVD drive and click "Properties" to open its Properties dialog box. Click the box's "DVD Region" tab to open a list of countries.

Scroll to and select "United States" in the countries list and then click "OK" to change your drive's region, enabling Windows Media Player to play Region One DVDs.

Andre for Directly, Mar 11, 2021
  4. albert1 Win User

Windows 10 set DVD drive region by itself. How to return it to original state safely?

DVD player settings - region selection & # of changes limitation

I'm not certain as I don't remember playing a dvd movie from this dvd drive.

It's currently shows "Current Region: not selected" and that I have a total of 5 region changes left.

If I load a movie that's an iso file as a virtual dvd, the virtual drive's properties shows it's set to region 1

So perhaps you're right I would need to set the region before playing a dvd movie?

I do have a Sony NS55P DVD Player purchased new in the US approx. 10 years ago that has no region code stamped on the player. However since it was sold by Sears in the US I suspect it's set to region 1.

A person on another forum said if I purchased a region 2 DVD that I may be able to play it by using DVD-R copying software converting and burning the DVD to an iso file or DVD-R disc using DVD copying software. There is also some software $$$ that cost around $40.00 that claims to be able to copy e.g. region 2 dvds to region 1 dvd's.

I tried to find this one particular DVD online and could only find it as a region 2 DVD even though all the actors were from the US. Either a region 1 dvd wasn't created or isn't available yet to purchase.

There are multi-region / region-less dvd players for sale on eBay that run from $30.00+
    _________

There is suppose to be a Sony NS55P hack where one person configured it to play a region 2 dvd. However it appears only the the person who posted the hack was able to get it to work with his Sony NS55P.

Region code hack posted by Reeio, November 23 2006:
    _________

I have tried the Tray Aging mode with my brand new Region 1 DVP-NS55P purchased in the US at Best Buy. It can now play Region 2 DVD perfectly. I do not know if the Tray Aging method made it region free, since I only have Region 1 and 2 dvds.

MAIN PROCEDURE

1. Turn off NS55P, leave TV on.
    2. Using the original remote supplied with the NS55P, press these buttons in order: DISPLAY, TOP MENU, CLEAR, POWER.
    3. NS55P will turn on, displaying the secret menu on the tv screen.
    4. Select 2: Drive Manual Operation, then 4: Tray Aging Mode.
    5. The screen then shows two input lines: Input Count and Current Count. Use the code 00030 on the first line. Pressing zero first will take you back to the original menu, so instead of trying to type 0-0-0-3-0, try something like 1-0-0-0-3-0 so the 1 in the front disappears after the last zero is entered.
    6. Press ENTER on the remote. Disk tray will then open and close automatically 30 times. Let it do this until it finishes.
    7. Repeat steps 4-6, but instead of using 00030 in the Input Count, use 00000. Press ENTER, and the NS55P is now capable of reading Region 2 dvds.

albert1, Mar 11, 2021
Thema:

Windows 10 set DVD drive region by itself. How to return it to original state safely?

1. Windows 10 set DVD drive region by itself. How to return it to original state safely? - Similar Threads - set DVD drive

2. Multi region dvd drive for laptop in the USA

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multi region dvd drive for laptop in the USA: Hi! I'm looking for a cd/dvd drive that can read multi region dvds, connect to my laptop thru a USB port, and thru which I can convert cd audio to a digital format suitable for uploading....
  3. Multi region dvd drive for laptop in the USA

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multi region dvd drive for laptop in the USA: Hi! I'm looking for a cd/dvd drive that can read multi region dvds, connect to my laptop thru a USB port, and thru which I can convert cd audio to a digital format suitable for uploading....
  4. Region Settings on Windows 10

in Cortana
    Region Settings on Windows 10: Hello, I have a question regarding Microsoft's region settings on Windows 10.Even if I am not living in the US, if I set my Region Settings to United States, will it be deemed illegal by Microsoft?Hope I was able to ask clearly. The reason why I ask this, is because when I...
  5. Recovering flash drive to original state

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Recovering flash drive to original state: I have an Integral 128 GB NTFS, which I used experimenting with creation of a system image by a downloaded program. The drive properties are now: and drive is portioned as in gif. How, please, may I get it back to a normal 128 GB flash drive, or is it for the garbage? 182895
  6. DVD drive opens by itself?

DVD drive opens by itself?: Hello, I am sitting at my PC as usual and suddenly the drive goes out... how can I understand that? is it a virus? or what? is some ghost trying to annoy me? it is impossible that i came against the key of the drive and i did not give the command anywhere. I ask...
  7. Windows 10 Update: Taskbar grew in size, cannot return to original state

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Update: Taskbar grew in size, cannot return to original state: Following the recent Windows update, the taskbar on my main monitor has grown significantly in size. I cannot make it smaller when the taskbar is unlocked. Switching to small taskbar icons returns the taskbar on my main monitor to it's original size, but brings it's own...
  8. DVD Regions

DVD Regions: So I can only change the DVD region setting 3 times ?? How can that still be? Is there a way around this restriction https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dvd-regions/e47ab9aa-5388-4349-b5ac-f6606cc5beb0
  9. how to restore windows 10 computer to original state

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    how to restore windows 10 computer to original state: Bought a computer that turned out to be faulty. Retailer will take it back. How do I restore it to its original state https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-restore-windows-10-computer-to-original/2073bbc0-d027-4472-a117-d04845bf1c37
  10. How do I return an external backup hdd to its original new state?

How do I return an external backup hdd to its original new state?: I have a backup hdd that is currently has 4 partitions as shown below What partition software can return it to a 1.8 TB to its original state as purchased showing no partitions but instead 1.8 of unallocated space? 105620