Windows 10: Windows 10 Settings > System > Storage Shows Wrong Capacity

Discus and support Windows 10 Settings > System > Storage Shows Wrong Capacity in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Not sure if this is going to be a problem or not but the capacity shown in Settings > System > Storage is double the actual capacity of the drive. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TSGSJeremy, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Windows 10 Settings > System > Storage Shows Wrong Capacity

Not sure if this is going to be a problem or not but the capacity shown in Settings > System > Storage is double the actual capacity of the drive. It does show the correct available space. Device Mgr, Disk Mgr, and Explorer all show the correct info.

I backed up old 500GB SSD, replaced with a new 500GB SSD and restored from backup.

Can I get that widget to show the correct values? If not, am I looking at trouble down the line?

Windows 10 Settings > System > Storage Shows Wrong Capacity 1a8a5126-9594-4f79-a9eb-8f9256ce4801?upload=true.png

:)

TSGSJeremy, Mar 9, 2019

2. Storage Space shows low capacity warning

Hello Chaeril,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

Windows created the low disk space warning to alert computer users when their hard drive is running low on available disk space. However in your case, the warning itself shows incorrect while there is still space left.

To be able to assist you better please let us know few more details on the below questions.

1. What is the make and the model of your computer?

2. Is the D: drive which you have shared the information about a secondary drive or a primary drive (Windows drive)?

Before proceeding, please check if the same issue occur when logged in through a different user account.

Ref:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-set-up-accounts

This issue may happen due to system file corruption. I suggest you to run System file checker. System File checker (SFC) scan is done to check if there are any corrupted system files that could be causing this issue. Kindly follow
    the below given steps:

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt.

• In Command prompt type
      sfc/scannow
      and press enter.
    • Restart the computer.
    If no corrupted system files were found in the previous state, then I suggest you to try the following steps to employ the DISM command lines:

• Open command prompt by pressing Windows key + X and selecting “Command prompt admin”.

• In command prompt, type the following commands and press Enter after each command:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

• Close the command prompt and restart the PC and check if it works.
    If the above recommendation did not work, I would suggest you to follow the below steps as a work around to stop the Windows notification of low disk space.

• Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard to open the Run Command Dialog Box.
    • Type in regedit to open the Registry Editor.
    • Navigate down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Policies / Explorer
    • If the NoLowDiskSpaceChecks key is not there, right-click to create a new DWORD value with that name.
    • Double-click on NoLowDiskSpaceChecks, enter 1 for the value
    • Press OK and exit from REGEDIT.
    Important: This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore,
    make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following
    article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/ )

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Hope the above information was helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Mar 9, 2019
  3. Berk Win User
    Storage bug? summary capacity & usage greater than disk/partition size

re Settings -> System -> Storage

It seems as though Windows 10 can add some, but not necessarily all new or detected partitions to an aggregate capacity under the label This PC (C: ) Even if the partitions are empty NTFS or RAW (inc. Linux Swap?) also include them as usage: 'System & reserved.' I haven't able to discern a pattern of how Windows 10 determines if a new or empty formatted partition will be added to the aggregate Storage summary. At best it's confusing, and appears to be broken.

Further: deleting some partitions, or shutting down, unplugging disks and rebooting does not necessarily alter the reported aggregate that is shown for This PC (C: ) i.e. You would expect removing all drives and partitions to restore This PC (C: ) status to show only the Windows partition capacity - it doesn't and it continues to show 100s extra GB that are no longer present on the PC.

e.g. on my previous install I was seeing an impossible 239GB 'system & reserved' with 323GB 'capacity.'

My system:
    • Windows 10 & 7 partitions each = 100GB
    • Windows disk total capacity = 223GB
    • Other disks, mix of NTFS, EXT4 (Mint 17, /home) Swap (Linux)
    N.B. I've tried this a couple of ways with fresh installs on clean disks and see the same result. It doesn't make a difference if Windows 10 or Windows 7 is installed first. I have made the partition order: recovery|efi|msr|windows|other

Other things that make no difference:
    • Removing or assigning new disk letters
    • For both Windows 10 and Windows 7:
      1. Hibernation is disabled (from admin cmd terminal)
      2. Page-file management to be on C: only (other disks set to none)
    At the moment I am unsure if this is merely a 'cosmetic' issue or something that might cause more serious functionality problems later e.g. not being able to install since Windows incorrectly thinks a drive or partitions are used or reserved.

I'm guessing this is multi-boot related, but does this strange Storage summary behaviour occur on anyone's system with Windows 10 only? Is anyone aware of this issue in dual/multi-boot PCs? is there a known bug or fix?

Berk, Mar 9, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Settings > System > Storage Shows Wrong Capacity

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 Settings > System > Storage Shows Wrong Capacity

1. Windows 10 Settings > System > Storage Shows Wrong Capacity - Similar Threads - Settings System Storage

2. Storage Capacity

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Capacity: Hey,I just wanted to know why my laptop is showing only 224GB capacity when i have an 512Gb SSD installed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-capacity/999f4595-4063-4f08-8a48-fe03bebff849
  3. Storage Capacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage Capacity: Hey,I just wanted to know why my laptop is showing only 224GB capacity when i have an 512Gb SSD installed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-capacity/999f4595-4063-4f08-8a48-fe03bebff849
  4. Storage Setting shows Wrong Information

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Storage Setting shows Wrong Information: Hi I am user windows 10.I have a lenovo ideapad i7Recently I encountered an problem that is So Irritating.In this screenshot the drive is corrupted and I dont know how to fix it. Well, I have 180 space free why it is full, and I can't access to administrative parts and can't...
  5. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard disk capacity shows wrong size: Hi,I've a problem with updating Windows 10 Pro, since it claims that my HDD is full, but actually it is not.Basically different built-in HDD tools show different information please see below.The storage manager itself shows contradicting information, it is file sizes seem to...
  6. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard disk capacity shows wrong size: Hi,I've a problem with updating Windows 10 Pro, since it claims that my HDD is full, but actually it is not.Basically different built-in HDD tools show different information please see below.The storage manager itself shows contradicting information, it is file sizes seem to...
  7. Windows 10 Storage Setting showing wrong disk size information

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Storage Setting showing wrong disk size information: Mine C drive where windows is pre-installed by OEM i.e. 256 GB SSD is shown 475 GB in the settings!!! How to correct this???--Few Imgs to describe the issue better Check the C Drive:THANK YOU...
  8. Windows 10 Storage Setting showing wrong disk size information

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Storage Setting showing wrong disk size information: Mine C drive where windows is pre-installed by OEM i.e. 256 GB SSD is shown 475 GB in the settings!!! How to correct this???--Few Imgs to describe the issue better Check the C Drive:THANK YOU...
  9. New Boot Drive Showing Wrong Capacity

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    New Boot Drive Showing Wrong Capacity: I just picked up a new SSD for my system, and after copying everything over from my old hard drive, it now shows the same capacity and name as the old one as well. I know the name can be changed easily, however I’ve restarted the system multiple times and the new drive still...
  10. System & reserved storage showing wrong figures in 1903.

in Windows 10 Support
    System & reserved storage showing wrong figures in 1903.: I have recently clean installed 1903 and Storage usage in settings shows my 66.3GB C partition as 126GB of which I have used 104GB. This 104GB is the settings app adding up all the figures underneath (the free space is correct). [img] [img] Drilling down into System &...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. system storage wrong