Windows 10: Windows 10 setup error - "There was a problem starting Setup."

Discus and support Windows 10 setup error - "There was a problem starting Setup." in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have seen this error thread several times over the past few years, and all the other threads are now locked. Well, it is almost June 2019, and I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DHS-USC, May 23, 2019.

1. DHS-USC Win User

Windows 10 setup error - "There was a problem starting Setup."

I have seen this error thread several times over the past few years, and all the other threads are now locked.

Well, it is almost June 2019, and I just got the "Windows 10 setup error - There was a problem starting Setup..." error.

All the other threads say to delete the folders on the C:\ drives, which I did. I also rebooted several times, and I also ran Windows update on my current 1809 64 bit build. None of these things worked.

What fixed this in the end for me was moving the MediaCreationTool1903.exe file to a folder off the root of one of my drives. Previously I was running it from my Downloads folder, which was somewhere like c:\Users\David\Downloads\Windows10ISO folder. I guess that folder was "too deep" and moving and running the file from a directory closer to the root did the trick.

I am not sure how many others have the problem, but so far here are the steps to try:

1. Reboot

2. Update Windows all the way

3. Delete folders in the root of your C: drive that start with a ~ or a $Windows.xxx

4. Make sure you copy the file to somewhere close to the root, like c:\temp

IF none of those work, good luck, I am not sure what else to try at that point.

David

:)

DHS-USC, May 23, 2019

2. The list of error codes for Windows 10 setup

FYI - The list of error codes for Windows 10 setup

Read more: http://winaero.com/blog/the-list-of-...rror0x0000005C

Cluster Head, May 23, 2019
  3. Ashish Sondhi, May 23, 2019
  4. Windows 10 setup error - "There was a problem starting Setup."

Windows 10 setup boot loader is stucking

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response in Microsoft Community.

I regret the inconvenience that you are currently facing with regards to your update. Listed below are links which you can refer to resolve the issue you are facing. You can follow the suggestions by and check if it helps.

Steps to follow when Windows 10 setup fails:

How to: Fix Windows 10 Setup Failure

How to: Troubleshoot common Setup and Stop Errors during Windows 10 Installation

How to: Troubleshoot Common Setup and Stop Errors During Windows 10 Installation

How to: A list of things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

How to: Fix Windows 10 Setup Failure

Troubleshooting for windows 10:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683

Your reply is very important for us to ensure a proper resolution.

Vanessa Sohtun, May 23, 2019
Thema:

Windows 10 setup error - "There was a problem starting Setup."

1. Windows 10 setup error - "There was a problem starting Setup." - Similar Threads - setup error was

2. windows 10 setup problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 setup problem: No caption https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-setup-problem/a2e4db54-24f0-4e41-9e62-79a68468055d
  3. windows 10 setup problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 setup problem: No caption https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-setup-problem/a2e4db54-24f0-4e41-9e62-79a68468055d
  4. windows 10 setup problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows setup problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows setup problem: So i wanted to install windows and when they finish installing some things it says windows has to restart to continue then it goes back at the start like a loop.Is there any way i can fix this because im trying for 1 week to solve the problem...
  6. Setup is starting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Setup is starting: I built a gaming pc as a complete beginner but I had no way of installing windows 10 media on another usb so I bought one online and I plugged it in and it just gets stuck on setup is starting and I’ve tried solving this on my own to no avail can someone please tell me how I...
  7. Windows setup problem.

Windows setup problem.: I've facing a trouble when installing windows 10 from USB Drive, After bios setting complete when boot the pc then the screen comes likethis type of shape. But when remove the USB and restart pc then previous version of windows is working properly. What's wrong with me please...
  8. Windows 10 setup error

Windows 10 setup error: As I about to pick my partition for my dual booting configuration in the Windows 10 setup, windows put out an error and say "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"....
  9. setup problem

setup problem: setup application doesn't run or work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/setup-problem/56aae706-8c78-41ed-b43e-dfb9e47a4532
  10. Windows setup errors : Stuck at "Setup is starting"

Windows setup errors : Stuck at "Setup is starting": Hi I got a problem now. My laptop cant install Windows. This is the story : Im playing games with my laptop for few hours and then my laptop got a crash and then im doing force shutdown. And then im realize that im accidently cause some disk errors. I tried again and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 there was a problem starting setup

2. windows 10 setup problem starting setup

3. there was a problem starting thxcgf64

4. there was a problem starting setup,
  5. windows 10 setup there was a problem starting setup,
  6. windows set up also states there was a problem,
  7. There was a problem starting Setup. 2020,
  8. MEDIACREATIONTOOL1903.EXE - APPLICATION ERROR,
  9. Windows 10 stup there was a problem starting Setup,
  10. problem running preinstall.cmd scripts,
  11. windows there was a problem starting setup,