Windows 10: Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates

Discus and support Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am currently using windows 7 64-bit. I downloaded windows 10 from the ms site (the automatic icon never appeared on my pc), and am using the media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MrMT, Aug 29, 2015.

1. MrMT Win User

Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates

I am currently using windows 7 64-bit.

I downloaded windows 10 from the ms site (the automatic icon never appeared on my pc), and am using the media creation tool.

All goes fine until 'Getting Updates', when it hangs on 'checking for updates'.

I have tried playing with the settings in Windows update, but suspect the problem lies in there somewhere... my windows 7 was recently proving unable to install all its updates also. I've tried various solutions for that but no luck.

Is a clean install the answer?

Thanks!

:)

2. Julie Ram Win User

Windows 10 setup stuck on checking for updates

Hi Katz,

To help you out with the concern, we suggest you to read the content and follow the instructions provided on this
    link.

Update us on the result.

Thank you.

Julie Ram, Aug 29, 2015
  3. Katz1259 Win User
    Windows 10 setup stuck on checking for updates

I made it just past the point that the original poster is asking about, but I am stalled with Windows 10 Setup looking for updates. It just hangs there. I have been waiting over 45 minutes so far. Any suggestions how to move on from here so I can complete
    the installation.

BTW not sure if it's related, but for the past month I have not been able to update my Windows Defender antivirus and malware information. It does the same thing just hangs and hangs. I eventually (hours later) decide to shut it down and then it shows and
    failed in my account information.

Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates [​IMG]

Katz1259, Aug 29, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Create a flash drive or ISO using the MCT.
    Disconnect from the internet then run setup.exe from the flash drive or mounted ISO (right click on it and select Mount).
    Don'tcheck for updates, just begin the install. When complete, reconnect to the internet and continue.

Ztruker, Aug 30, 2015
  5. MaskMarvl Win User
    Note: I know the above is an old post but perhaps other people can benefit from this.

Leave the Windows 10 Setup window as is and try this:

1. Go to Services (Press Windows+R. This will prompt run dialogue box. In here, type services.msc) and stop the Windows Update Service.

2. Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all of its contents.

3. Restart the Weindows Update Service.

4. Go back to the Windows 10 Setup window and you should see the process continue.

Hope this works for you! *Cool

MaskMarvl, Apr 20, 2016
  6. This Absolutely worked - thank you - it was driving me crazy

maryhansford1, May 9, 2016
  7. texware Win User
    And the MCT told me windows was not activated. I was forced to activate Windows 7 (again) and restart the Windows 10 upgrade process from scratch. Anyone using this process might want to consider double checking the status of Win7 before restarting the Windows Update Service

texware, May 10, 2016
  8. Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates

THANK YOU FOR THIS! The nonprofit I work for needed to upgrade 19 Windows 7 machines and all but one experienced this lockup. This worked for all of the rest.

Again, thanks!

RubicksQoob, May 14, 2016
  9. mdstone Win User
    This worked for me too *Biggrin

mdstone, May 19, 2016
  10. angels Win User
    thankyou man, but all i did was disable windows.update service during the checking for updates part during windows 10 update of the installation, as it was checking and it bypassed it, it will check for updates again after.the but give them a few minutes and these updates will work ok. still this might work with updating windows 7 updates past sp1 for those having trouble.

thankyou man, but all i did was disable

angels, May 23, 2016
  11. angels Win User
    update, get windows.update service up, open it, on the left of it should be restart windows.update service, do that whenever it locks up , give it 10 minutes to progress, if not then restart the windows.update service, and same for when it checks for the updates again on the windows 10 update installer, this worked for me , runnning windows 10 fine once again, this will also work for windows 7 updater i hope, hope this helps people.

angels, May 23, 2016
  12. Ankriiii Win User
    Hi! I've done this but I was also redirected to the part where it says "Getting Updates, checking for updates 0%" and there is no progress. Can you help me with this?

Hoping for your suggestions. Thanks a lot!

Ankriiii, Jun 12, 2016
  13. Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates

I just had that problem..

I somehow got past that problem by stopping the windows update again, the same way as it says above ( win + R , services.msi , stop windows update service) and it works

I think it's because the two updating services are banging into each-other and causing nothing to happen

I hope it works, but I don't know much about this either

Creeper Math, Jun 29, 2016
  14. THANK YOU! That did it. 30 seconds later the screen changed and it went on.

It hung at 22% and I looked at windows update and it was running again.
    Stopped it again and told it to be disabled until I set it back for delayed start after the upgrade.

We'll see what happens.

Almost immediately it was done and said do you want to install and save your files
    and now it is installing.

Super suggestion. Just that it needed a bit more helping along.
    Thanks again.

carversmith, Jul 3, 2016
  15. hello there how do you restart windows update service

mgregoric420, Jul 5, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates - Similar Threads - setup hangs Checking

2. Windows 10 setup stuck at Checking for updates: 2%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 setup stuck at Checking for updates: 2%: I tried to reinstall my laptop using Windows 10 Pro ISO, it was a success until it got to check the updates. The setup is stuck at 2% for hours. Any solution please,...
  3. Windows 10 setup stuck at Checking for updates: 2%

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 setup stuck at Checking for updates: 2%: I tried to reinstall my laptop using Windows 10 Pro ISO, it was a success until it got to check the updates. The setup is stuck at 2% for hours. Any solution please,...
  4. Windows 10 setup stuck at Checking for updates: 2%

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 hangs "checking for updates" troubleshooter also hangs: I JUST installed Windows 10 on my Lenovo B570 using the Free Upgrade Tool from Microsoft saved from when they were offering a free upgrade to all Windows 7 users. For some reason, instead of installing the latest version, it installed version 1709 and despite the fact that...
  6. Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates

Windows 10 Update hangs at Checking for Updates: I wonder if anyone can help me with this problem which has arisen recently. I have Windows 10 Pro Version 1903 but when I try Windows Update via the Settings app, it hangs for some time and eventually gives: [img] Checking in Event Viewer I find messages such as: [img]...
  7. Windows 10 1809 update hangs on reboot, then hangs on recovery

Windows 10 1809 update hangs on reboot, then hangs on recovery: When I try reboot my PC to install update 1809, it stays stuck forever on the blue shutdown screen, with the spinning blue dots and the counter at 0%. Here's the output from the last operations in Panther\setupact.log: 2018-10-06 01:29:33, Info SP...
  8. Windows 10 update hangs

Windows 10 update hangs: When I click on settings>Update & Security, my laptop now automatically checks for updates. The problem is that the little blue dots passing by in the update search screen have been doing this for over two hours. I can't click on Advanced to check the history due to this. Is...
  9. Windows 10 Hangs on Setup

Windows 10 Hangs on Setup: Hey everyone, Every time I try to reinstall Windows 10 it always hangs when I have to input my time zone, no keyboard inputs or mouse registration however keyboard and mouse works on BIOS, this is the screen that I get stuck at: Imgur Any help is appreciated, I'm...
  10. Windows 10 Setup hangs on the "Getting Updates" part.

Windows 10 Setup hangs on the "Getting Updates" part.: Welp, i'm upgrading to Windows 10! But it hangs on this part... Do you guys got any ideas on how to speed this part up? [img] And yes, I am a huge Undertale fan! *Biggrin 26790