Windows 10: Windows 10 setup not working on the upgrade Asks for product key, with no option to continue

Discus and support Windows 10 setup not working on the upgrade Asks for product key, with no option to continue in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, First time on the forum and read a few post without getting a solution. Upgraded to Windows10 from windows7 a few years ago Today I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ClaudeClaassen, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Windows 10 setup not working on the upgrade Asks for product key, with no option to continue

Hi Everyone,

First time on the forum and read a few post without getting a solution.

1. Upgraded to Windows10 from windows7 a few years ago
    2. Today I had to format my computer today due to corrupted BIOS.
    3. Formatted computer and reinstalled windows 7 Only disc I had with the product key
    4. After reading a bit, I tried to upgrade to windows10 using the "MediaCreationTool1909"
    5. When using this I get prompted for the product key, where my window7 key does not work
    6. According to the internet, the installation should pick up my account automatically, but it does not
    7. I logged into my Microsoft account online and saw I have my PC still active as follow
    8. As seen here: Windows 10 setup not working on the upgrade Asks for product key, with no option to continue 48372629-1eda-4df2-ad2f-fcac66ffed40?upload=true.png
    9. This is the screen i get:
    10. Windows 10 setup not working on the upgrade Asks for product key, with no option to continue 814c554d-e6dc-4180-bf4c-3014b3f6a38b?upload=true.png
    11. Currently still on Windows7, how do I activate it?

:)

ClaudeClaassen, Mar 27, 2020
  2. kaelton07 Win User

Upgrade to Windows 10 asking for Product Key

This is stated in Microsoft's software download page. Did any of you do this while upgrading via created media?
    'IMPORTANT: To upgrade for free, select Upgrade this PC now in the tool. You should NOT be asked for a product key during the upgrade process. If you create a USB and use it to install, make sure to remove the USB as soon as setup begins. If you don't, you may be prompted for a product key. If this happens, remove the USB and restart your PC to continue with setup.'

I did remove the USB after the setup loads up to 100%. Still unsuccessful though. After removing the USB and choosing the 'Download and Install updates' option, it will say 'Checking your PC'. Then it would say that I need to restart my PC. After restarting, nothing continues.

Btw, I am pretty sure I downloaded the correct Windows 10 for my PC. *Biggrin

kaelton07, Mar 27, 2020
  3. NavyLCDR Win User
    win 10 upgrade asking for product key

An upgrade to Windows 10 running properly will not ask for a product key. Are you sure the version on the USB is the exact same version as the previous operating system on the computer you are trying to upgrade? Pro or home; N, standard, or Single Language Version? If you continue with an upgrade that is asking for a product key, it will not activate.

A clean install will ask for a product key, and that can be skipped. Unless you have purchased a license for Windows 10 that has it's own unique product key, you should never enter a product key when upgrading or clean installing Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Mar 27, 2020
  4. NavyLCDR Win User

Windows 10 setup not working on the upgrade Asks for product key, with no option to continue

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key

So make sure that you are attempting to upgrade to the Home Single Language Edition. The "about" system settings screen will tell you if it is 32-bits or 64-bits (operating system):

Windows 10 setup not working on the upgrade Asks for product key, with no option to continue [​IMG]

Using the media creation tool, you want the matching 32-bit or 64-bit Single Language Edition:

Windows 10 setup not working on the upgrade Asks for product key, with no option to continue [​IMG]

From the Windows 10 ISO download site, it's just listed as Single Language Edition:

Doing an upgrade to the correct edition Anniversary Update should not ask for a product key.

NavyLCDR, Mar 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows 10 setup not working on the upgrade Asks for product key, with no option to continue

1. Windows 10 setup not working on the upgrade Asks for product key, with no option to continue - Similar Threads - setup working upgrade

2. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate: I have been running Windows 7 for many years and successfully used the free upgrade to Windows 10. The new operating system was working ok. However, when I logged on today there was a message to activate windows. Apparently the system was now requiring a product key! I was...
  3. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate: I have been running Windows 7 for many years and successfully used the free upgrade to Windows 10. The new operating system was working ok. However, when I logged on today there was a message to activate windows. Apparently the system was now requiring a product key! I was...
  4. Upgraded to Windows 10, now asking for product key to activate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I was asked for product key while upgrading to Windows 10

I was asked for product key while upgrading to Windows 10: Hi, I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 two years ago. I don't remember whether I was given a product key during the upgrade. A month ago, I had the blue screen problem and no matter how I tried, the problem could not be resolved. So I reinstalled my purchased Windows 7....
  6. windows 10 1903 upgrade setup will not recognize digital product key

windows 10 1903 upgrade setup will not recognize digital product key: Windows 10 1903 upgrade setup will not recognize digital product key --- Current install of Win 10 v1809 Multiple attempts at install, I did downloaded the .iso for upgrade and tried install from there, no change. How do I get the system to recognize my digital product...
  7. Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key

Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant asking for product key: Hello, I have been trying to upgrade from Windows Update, but for some reason it won't work, so I thought I can use the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant. Once the "Updating to Windows 10" section is complete, it will open a Windows 10 Setup window. It asks for product key. I...
  8. win 10 upgrade asking for product key

win 10 upgrade asking for product key: Hi, on my work laptop, i have received the win 10 app and it was ready to upgrade, As it was my work laptop I did not at the time but I did use the download to create a USB and I have updated two personal PCs with no issue. I now have permission to upgrade the original work...
  9. Upgrade to Windows 10 asking for Product Key

Upgrade to Windows 10 asking for Product Key: I was going to install Windows 10 via the Media Creation Tool but I chose the second option, 'Create installation media for another PC' thinking it could be helpful in the future. I was able to successfully download it then tried installing it right after that. There came...
  10. windows 10 upgrade asking for product key

windows 10 upgrade asking for product key: i have downloaded the windows 10(home x64) ISO file and made a USB flash device using it,and now whenever i try to upgrade my LAPTOP(it came with original windows pre-installed) it asks for a product key and there is no "skip" option available all i see is next and back...